Do you really save money pulling with a diesel? Wwyd?

work2play2

Banned again & will band again soon
I have a 9000 lb camper. I pull with a paid for f250 single cab. Gas. While going on vac. Wife has to drive her van and me my truck. I get 8 mpg pulling. 7.5 if I'm going 80 mph. Both cars are paid for. Should I get a diesel? 4 door? I'm gonna get 6 mpg better but diesel is higher. I guess my question is what would you do? I hate taking 2 cars on vacation. If I get a 4 door gas f250 and pack it with people luggage and 9000 lb camper is it gonna hurt it that much more? I don't pull much other then the 9k camper. Please tell me what you would do? Another factor is all vehicles are paid for. Is it worth a truck note for 3 or 4 times a yr 5 hour drive to all ride together?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
No, it will never pay out for you to buy a diesel just to make those pulls.

REDMOND1858

New truck payment, 800-1200 a month.....basic economics tells me you’d be better off hanging on to the one you’ve got. You could put a new motor and tranny in it just about every year and still come out cheaper.

Iv got an 03...paid for. Those new shiny trucks sure are tempting, until I consider that I can nearly replace anything on my truck for 1 or 2 new truck payments.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
No. You would need to be using it for pulling more than you are right now. It would be more of an expensive luxury.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Stay where you are, buy a nice set of two way radios. :D

I've tried about everything, when you're pulling a barn door down the road, the only thing that helps is slowing down. For my rig, 62 MPH is the sweet spot. I arrive less stressed, I quit worrying about beating the others to the top of the hill. When we fuel up, I get reminded, that "We have no payments, cost of fuel is just the cost of doing business (camping), quit grumbling and enjoy the trip" she says...:cool: She's right of course.

Fifth wheel camper? (I know...had to ask). F-250 Crew loaded with people and stuff, sometimes you will exceed your payload capacity before you exceed you max tow capacity.

Now if I had a big camper to pull, lots of passengers, and hated taking two vehicles, If it was in the budget, well then this would be my ticket. 6.8L V10 (legendary reliability), F-250 Crew, Lariat, power sunroof, but it is 2WD. What an awesome tow rig! (edit) 288HP @ 4,000, 424 ft/lbs torque @ 3,000.

https://www.woodyandersonford.com/vehicle-details/used-2005-ford-super-duty-f-250-lariat-1FTSW20Y65EA85316

Page 17, 12,500 max trailer with either 4.10 or 4.30
http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/2005_Towing_Guide.pdf
:pop:

Last edited:

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
For that a diesel is a waste. I had a F250 with the 6.2l gas motor last year for almost 2 months as a rental. I was in love with it and hated to take it back. The 6.2 was plenty of power for pulling about anything without all the extra cost of a diesel. I believe it was rated at around 400 how and I forget the torque, but if I ever pull the trigger on a newer truck that is going to be it.

calibob1

COMMIE LOVER TROLL
Rent what you want for vacation

MudDucker

Staff member
Diesels aren't the most economic for occasional pulling. Overall more expensive to maintain for short infrequent trips. The reason I have a diesel powered truck is I pull heavy loads regularly and I don't like to be under powered.

lbzdually

Banned
I just sold my 2006 Chevrolet Duramax dually and bought a GMC 1500 and the diesel paid for itself in fuel savings and resale value. But, I pulled loads of carpet all the way from Texas to Massachusetts. It would pull Monteagle at whatever speed you want pulling 22k pounds of truck, trailer, and carpet. The worst mileage I ever got was about 9.9 mpg, with a completely empty trailer running into a 35-40 mph headwind in Illinois back home. For what you want you should stay with what you have. That or find a Cummins 5.9 to swap in. I loved my Duramax, but if Dodge had the Cummins with the Allison, they would have dominated the truck market and for good reason.

T-N-T

I bought a diesel for luxury reasons. I want to be able to pass you on the two lane while towing my camper.

It isn't needed for me. It wont be needed for you.

But a used diesel was cheap enough and I was buying a truck anyway.

Greene728

For that a diesel is a waste. I had a F250 with the 6.2l gas motor last year for almost 2 months as a rental. I was in love with it and hated to take it back. The 6.2 was plenty of power for pulling about anything without all the extra cost of a diesel. I believe it was rated at around 400 how and I forget the torque, but if I ever pull the trigger on a newer truck that is going to be it.

This! :smash:

The 6.2L in the F-Series is a bulletproof gas engine that is totally up to the task.

I have a 2015 Ram 3500 Cummins pulling an 11,500 5th wheel and although I love it and its a beast, 80% of the time a gas would be far more practical. And like someone else posted, I almost stole the thing. The deal is what makes the difference. Mine is a SRW 3500 2015 year model (only 2015 left) that was sitting on the lot surrounded by 16's at the end of the month when the dealer needed to make inventory quota. Not many folks look for SRW 3500 but rather DRW. I honestly got it for what they wanted for a Gas 2500 2016. Just lucky it worked out.

3ringer

I love my O8 Duramax. When we towed our 10k lb camper to Vogel, I was blown away by the torque. It is my everyday driver 90 miles RT. I love the sound of a diesel. I also drive a diesel 18 wheeler every day. I am not sure if I could go back to a gas engine. I like the big truck feel of a 2500 Duramax.

hopper

Stay with what you hsve unless you are just craving payment. 2001 F250 lariot v10 with 249,000 miles still pulling my 8/10 thousand pound work trailer every week. Still going strong.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
@work2play2, For your stated needs, a gasser is the way to go. What is your budget if you are determined to replace the tow rig?

The V10, if you can find the right one, is a hot ticket. Lookup posts by carringb over on rv.net forum. He has ~ 400K on his 6.8L V10 van, most of it heavy towing. Ridiculously low maintenance costs. Very knowledgeable gearhead and engineer.

Example:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26790078/gotomsg/26790195.cfm#26790195

The newer 6.2 Ford is quite the motor too, but is newer and will cost more up front.

Redbow

Here's what I would do..I would get rid of the camper and stay in a nice motel for the money I would spend on buying, pulling and keeping up a camper not to mention the cost of a pickup truck to pull it with..But that's just me, to each his own..

j_seph

Put wife in camper. Lunch can be ready when you take a pull off break.

T-N-T

Here's what I would do..I would get rid of the camper and stay in a nice motel for the money I would spend on buying, pulling and keeping up a camper not to mention the cost of a pickup truck to pull it with..But that's just me, to each his own..

I know who slept in my bed in my camper last.
I also know what they did or didn't do in it.

Think about that next time you slide in bed in the hotel...