Doe Days all season except 13 mountain counties

BornToHuntAndFish

Cool.

WRD-Proposed-Doe-Day-Map-2023-with-dates-764x850.jpg

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I am all for it. Now if we can just convince some of the land owners around here to take advantage of those days.

There were 16 in the field by my house last week. I can't keep them out of my garden. 6 rows of green beans last year, and I picked enough for one meal. The deer got the rest

JB0704

I Gots Goats
I am all for it. Now if we can just convince some of the land owners around here to take advantage of those days.

There were 16 in the field by my house last week. I can't keep them out of my garden. 6 rows of green beans last year, and I picked enough for one meal. The deer got the rest

Couldn’t you have a buncha buddies over to mow em down on your land without putting intense pressure where it ort not be?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Couldn’t you have a buncha buddies over to mow em down on your land without putting intense pressure where it ort not be?
I only have 8 acres where my home is. I am surrounded by big land owners with over 100 acres in each one. One of them is pushing 500 acres, and they won't let anyone hunt it. One of the 100 or so owners does lease it out to hunters, but they drive in from a couple of hours away, and don't care that those deer are destroying my garden.

Crows are just as bad on my corn field too. I lease a spot about 1/2 mile away with a bit over 10 acres in fields. Those black rascals will strip a row clean in no time.

Kev

I’ve hit 4 deer this year. I can’t drive home after sunset without a close call. I want the deer heard to be healthy and there’s getting to be a few too many around here.

transfixer

I’ve hit 4 deer this year. I can’t drive home after sunset without a close call. I want the deer heard to be healthy and there’s getting to be a few too many around here.

and the insurance companies that have to pay for deer/car collisions are the real reason we have that many either sex days

JB0704

I Gots Goats

Where is “around here?” I’ve seen fields in SW ga with huge herds of deer in em. Those folks down there could mow em down and not put a dent in things. There are other parts of the state where small
Timber tracts are leased by clubs packing folks in to keep lease prices down. Those are the areas that got shot out the last time we went to a anything goes kinda deal. I just think it can be more targeted than this.

transfixer

Where is “around here?” I’ve seen fields in SW ga with huge herds of deer in em. Those folks down there could mow em down and not put a dent in things. There are other parts of the state where small
Timber tracts are leased by clubs packing folks in to keep lease prices down. Those are the areas that got shot out the last time we went to a anything goes kinda deal. I just think it can be more targeted than this.

It used to be targeted years ago if you remember, the heaviest hunted counties had fewer doe days than the counties down south, and some counties through the middle of the state only had a handful of days, now its just a free for all ?

Kev

There’s lots of 100-400 acre timber tracts around me. I understand that the state is diverse so I’m not completely disagreeing with you.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I thought we were for freedom of choice and managing the herd as we saw fit for our area. Seems to me the state has said, ' Here ya go guys, have at it' in regards to letting the individual land owners choose how they want to hunt there land.

There is no rule anywhere that says you HAVE to kill a doe. Just permission to shoot one if you want to, and your landowner or club allows it.

HUNTINTAW!!!!

JB0704

I Gots Goats
I thought we were for freedom of choice and managing the herd as we saw fit for our area. Seems to me the state has said, ' Here ya go guys, have at it' in regards to letting the individual land owners choose how they want to hunt there land.

There is no rule anywhere that says you HAVE to kill a doe. Just permission to shoot one if you want to, and your landowner or club allows it.

HUNTINTAW!!!!

The problem is the deer cross tons of management zones every day. Every time you pull the trigger you are managing those other zones as well. And they are managing urs. In this country the deer belong to the public not the landowner, so u are applying your view of management to a public resource. Libertaw only works if we own the deer while on our land, at which point there should be no public regulation of the resource.

And let’s not pretend the average hunter gives a darn about herd health or anything related to conservation. They wanna make everybody pass little bucks so they can shoot mega bucks. Then they wanna fill that freezer with doe meat.

You want libertaw let’s do away with DNR n see how well folks manage as they see fit.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
The problem is the deer cross tons of management zones every day. Every time you pull the trigger you are managing those other zones as well. And they are managing urs. In this country the deer belong to the public not the landowner, so u are applying your view of management to a public resource. Libertaw only works if we own the deer while on our land, at which point there should be no public regulation of the resource.

And let’s not pretend the average hunter gives a darn about herd health or anything related to conservation. They wanna make everybody pass little bucks so they can shoot mega bucks. Then they wanna fill that freezer with doe meat.

You want libertaw let’s do away with DNR n see how well folks manage as they see fit.
you are managing the herd if you take a shot. You are managing the herd if you don't take a shot. Your decision is managing the herd either way.

If the average hunter doesn't care about the herd health or anything related to conservation, the why all the complaining in here about the state considering opening up the number of days to kill a doe?

I was around and hunting back in the 60's and 70's when the season was 2 weeks or less, no does and if you saw a deer you were lucky. I was married and had a kid on the way before I ever even got a shot at a deer.

I ain't never seen so many upset that they are given a choice.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
you are managing the herd if you take a shot. You are managing the herd if you don't take a shot. Your decision is managing the herd either way.

If the average hunter doesn't care about the herd health or anything related to conservation, the why all the complaining in here about the state considering opening up the number of days to kill a doe?

I was around and hunting back in the 60's and 70's when the season was 2 weeks or less, no does and if you saw a deer you were lucky. I was married and had a kid on the way before I ever even got a shot at a deer.

You realize that the crap hunting y’all refer to in the 60’s n 70’s was because Ga hunters had managed “as they saw fit” to the extent a major restocking effort had to take place? That’s why folks complain cause Ga hunters aint some kinda high minded conservationists.

Again, if you want Liberty why not do away with DNR? I wanna shoot 12 bucks. U cool with that right? Liberty n all.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
On my personal land I get 20 - 30 unique bucks on camera every season. My land, my herd right? I wanna manage about 15 of em into my freezer. That’s what I see fit. Glad to have such supportive friends like y’all when the DNR tries to steal my libertaw.