Shoot'em when ya' see'um!

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Apparently DNR thinks it had an impact cause now they wanna let folks shoot ‘em up again so we can get back to where we need to hold off a little so we can go back to shooting em up again

BornToHuntAndFish

Cool.

WRD-Proposed-Doe-Day-Map-2023-with-dates-764x850.jpg

Reactions: Kev

Kev

It’s funny. One of the counties I hunt in is a previous southern zone county that borders a northern zone county. I’ve seen 30 something does in one afternoon and it’s sounds like WWIII every weekend. If everyone I hunt with tried to kill as many does as possible, we wouldn’t change much.

Duckdiver

Correct, 10 does between 11/5/23 - 01/14/24 is no different than 10 does between 10/21/23 -01/14-24.
The difference is not in the numbers, but in the opportunity. You could have a 100 doe limit but only 1 doe day per season and no one would kill 100 does. So while some with unlimited time in the woods may still kill 10 does, with limited doe days, some hunters would undoubtedly kill less than there 10. I personally have not killed a doe in years and typically only kill 1 buck a year, but I prefer more opportunity because of limited time in the woods due to higher priority obligations.

transfixer

I see this as disappointing move for the county I hunt which is Oglethorpe. No reasons to open up the whole season for doe days. Our population took a big hit 5-10 years or so ago and DNR changed the doe days to not start until early November, so the first 2 weekends did not allow doe days. Slowly, the population seems to be coming back and now DNR is wanting to open it back up. I am thinking too early to do that, way to quickly. Oglethorpe is a heavily hunted county due to its distance to Atlanta and Athens. Oh well, we will see what happens. Disappointing if they do this.

Oglethorpe and other counties in the piedmont receive way too much hunting pressure for idiotic regulations like this ! I've been saying it for years, multiple emails years ago with john Bowers about this very subject, to no avail

DNR seems determined to annihilate the deer population in our state, but they will deny they are influenced by the auto insurance industry, DNR now is in charge of bag limits as well as either sex days, and bag limits are still 10+2, they used to blame that on legislators, can't do that now .

a few more years of regs like this and our grandkids can forget about seeing a deer in the woods, they'll have to go to neighborhoods in Roswell or Peachtree city to see a whitetail deer

JB0704

I Gots Goats
I’ve hunted areas that allow does year long for quite some time now.

There is still plenty of deer year after year.

Why is the sky falling exactly?

The factors that exist where you hunt do not exist everyhere. Carrying capacity, hunter density, etc. Then small variances within that such has hunter patterns when it comes to doe kill. There are only so many does PSM can be killed before a population declines. That’s a mathematical fact. You are in an are where that line is not crossed. I have been in areas where it has been crossed, rapidly, and I’ve been in areas where it has not. Just variables.

transfixer

I’ve hunted areas that allow does year long for quite some time now.

There is still plenty of deer year after year.

Why is the sky falling exactly?

Then those areas don't have a lot of hunters determined to take enough deer to fill their freezer every year, the counties in Ga that are made up primarily of timber tracts, and every tract larger than 50 acres is leased out to a club that has multiple members determined to put a couple of deer in their freezer will suffer from regs like this !

Many clubs now have too many members vs acreage, some as low as a member for every 20-30 acres, each one of them wants to harvest a deer , if they do they will most certainly almost eliminate the herd from that property .

example : my old club 366 acres we estimated over a period of years we had between 15 to 20 deer using our property, generally had 5 members, last couple years went to 6 members because of cost of lease, if those 6 members took just even 2 deer each, that is 12 off the property, if of those 12 8 of them were does, then the next years fawn group was going to be extremely small , for years we tried to never take a doe, but someone would always give in and shoot one or two, that didn't really hurt, but if the state gives the impression that there are too many does, its hard to keep members from shooting them when they are paying a lot of money for club dues ! doesn't take long till no one is seeing any deer at all

specialk

leave the doe days alone but have a ''hunters choice'' tag good for 1 doe any day during the season.....i know some states have/had this already.....

uturn

Lot of opinions on this subject seems it could go on forever and certainly a lot of varied opinions…I understand if it affects one’s livelihood for me that is a whole different subject all together but, hard for me to think of the restocking efforts of the past and say kill all you want in the same sentence!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
The problem is not Harold and Tiny killing 10 each and then on the last day of the season bagging number 11 because the law don't need to know bout what Harold and Tiny are doing.

The problem is 5 guys on 600 acres killing 2 does each. If you're one of those guy on that 600 acre lease that's doing that you are the problem.

We've been doe days every day in Troup all the time because we're a trophy county. Most everybody seems to have gotten the picture on not killing does. At least that's the case around me and everybody around me used to be in the brown and down club.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Most everybody seems to have gotten the picture on not killing does. At least that's the case around me and everybody around me used to be in the brown and down club.

You are lucky. Everybody around me only sees what they wanna see.

I'm in a club down there, Troup, btw. Haven't hunted it yet, but plan to get some plantin in over the next few months. It's a trophy club I joined because I see where my other is headed (had some fellers start "taking orders" on does last year). Hopefully the hunting is decent, I don't really care either way, just like having options.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
You are lucky. Everybody around me only sees what they wanna see.

I'm in a club down there, Troup, btw. Haven't hunted it yet, but plan to get some plantin in over the next few months. It's a trophy club I joined because I see where my other is headed (had some fellers start "taking orders" on does last year). Hopefully the hunting is decent, I don't really care either way, just like having options.

If it's in SE Troup you might be in for some heartache. By the way, bring corn and lots of it. :bounce:

JB0704

I Gots Goats
If it's in SE Troup you might be in for some heartache. By the way, bring corn and lots of it. :bounce:

It’s SW. And I’m gonna plant several acres of corn. I hunt my house most the time, the hunting sucks here, but it’s my house and I haven’t gotten past the “cool” factor of hunting my own dirt. I go to the clubs when it’s time to actually kill a deer.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
It’s SW. And I’m gonna plant several acres of corn. I hunt my house most the time, the hunting sucks here, but it’s my house and I haven’t gotten past the “cool” factor of hunting my own dirt. I go to the clubs when it’s time to actually kill a deer.

You're probably good to go. :rockon:

I got the same problem. It's my land and I can walk out the door and I'm hunting. There just isn't a lot to hunt.

Offroadtek

Alabama allows a doe a day, do hunters in Alabama cry about seeing no deer?
I was gonna say this too, but I don't know if your refering to the total limit, or the daily limit. Never knew how Bama did it until moving here.

I like the one deer a day limit on deer. I think there are too many "surplus killers" in the woods.

And all things considered, "Rules" only affect the honest person.