Doe Days all season except 13 mountain counties

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
So we shouldn't kill does in late November because they might be bred and that's detrimental to creating more deer, but then you want the doe days at the end of the season? Won't they still be pregnant in December?

It's been rehashed countless times here, but there is no biological difference to killing a doe before or after she gets bred. When you kill them makes zero difference to the population, it's the number of does that are killed that affects the population.

homerdoh.JPG

Sorry Charlie. I just had to do it. :biggrin2:

Robust Redhorse

I shouldn't have emphasized the need to increase the population so much as the timing of the doe days.

That wasn't my point, and CK, you are correct.

My point is the week of Thanksgiving is not the time to have either sex days, because that is the peak of the rut in the mountains and is the best time for a hunter to get a trophy buck.

When the woods are crowded with hunters and rifles are going off all over the place, the big bucks go nocturnal.

I would much rather have either sex days scattered on various Saturdays throughout the season, or during the time between Christmas and the end of the season.

ssramage

We typically wait until Nov. 1 to start shooting does on our place anyways so that we don't disturb them during the rut.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I shouldn't have emphasized the need to increase the population so much as the timing of the doe days.

That wasn't my point, and CK, you are correct.

My point is the week of Thanksgiving is not the time to have either sex days, because that is the peak of the rut in the mountains and is the best time for a hunter to get a trophy buck.

When the woods are crowded with hunters and rifles are going off all over the place, the big bucks go nocturnal.

I would much rather have either sex days scattered on various Saturdays throughout the season, or during the time between Christmas and the end of the season.

The scheduling is actually intentional strategy. Most hunters will be targeting bucks that week, so we can provide more doe days without increasing harvest too much. However, those days are there for properties that need to reduce their population and they can focus on does if they need to. If we took the same number of days and made them all Saturdays and Sundays, the days that are the most convenient for hunters, then the doe harvest would go up dramatically. Timing also matters a lot, having doe days the first week of the rifle season will kill exponentially more does than a week in January. There are also other considerations like new hunters, Thanksgiving week is a big family hunting time period and it's good for new hunters to be able to shoot either sex.

Rackinup

I sure hate it. Populations were just getting back like it used to be and now that will change… you can definitely think insurance companies for it.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I sure hate it. Populations were just getting back like it used to be and now that will change… you can definitely think insurance companies for it.
Not really, no. We reached the goals from the deer plan and need to stabilize it.

Rackinup

Yeah right. I think they needed a lot more studies on populations before just opening it up like they did. It’s not a one size fits all issue. There’s a lot of people that will kill 12 does if they had the chance and now they will. Oh well.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Yeah right. I think they needed a lot more studies on populations before just opening it up like they did. It’s not a one size fits all issue. There’s a lot of people that will kill 12 does if they had the chance and now they will. Oh well.

they have had the chance to kill just as many does last year, the year before that, and the year before that several times over. They just didn't have as many days to do it. No limits have been changed.

Usually when I see one doe, I see several does. If a person wants to shoot 10 does, I am sure he would have the chance even with the reduced days

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
12 does. Do u know of anyone who has killed 10 does.
Does anyone on here know of anyone who has killed 10 does.
To kill 10 does that one person is on a plantation and it’s his job to kill does.
Hunting clubs kind of limit the harvest bags for each member. Most clubs strive to maintain a healthy heard.
1/2 the hunters in ga don’t even kill a deer. Other half average from 1 to 3 deer. Very very few kill over 5 deer.
It’s all in this thread.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
they have had the chance to kill just as many does last year, the year before that, and the year before that several times over. They just didn't have as many days to do it. No limits have been changed.

Usually when I see one doe, I see several does. If a person wants to shoot 10 does, I am sure he would have the chance even with the reduced days
My wife ain’t skinning 10 deer for me. It’s hard enough to get her to skin and process 2 deer for me. And do a euro mount for me too.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Does anyone on here know of anyone who has killed 10 does.

Yes. I keep telling y’all I grew up around these folks y’all keep saying don’t exist.

Not everyone in Ga hunts one spot. Not everyone is in a club. Lots of folks have several places to hunt and nobody really knows how many deer these folks kill. A limit of 3 or 10 ain’t stoppin em, I’m just saying they are out there and they aren’t all on big S Ga plantations.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Yes. I keep telling y’all I grew up around these folks y’all keep saying don’t exist.

Not everyone in Ga hunts one spot. Not everyone is in a club. Lots of folks have several places to hunt and nobody really knows how many deer these folks kill. A limit of 3 or 10 ain’t stoppin em, I’m just saying they are out there and they aren’t all on big S Ga plantations.

Then the rules don’t matter to them one way or another.. So, how does the .gov regulate that?

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member

Ok ok :rofl:
How many do this per 1000 hunters u think.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Heck I know a fella who did manage to kill 8 sittin in just one spot last year. Imagine if Ol boy had access to more than one hunting spot? This is an old single dude too. Y’all’s view of the average hunter n mine are very very different.