Changes proposed for hunting seasons

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I didn’t know that much was on the line. In contrast to my negativity here on the forum, let me audition a little.

I can blood trial good. I’m a strong dragger (of my kills or yours). I don’t drink and I can get up early, stay up late and turn deer carcasses into sausage, steak, hamburger, euro mounts and possibly even shoulder mounts at your request. I can play guitar and sing some on request. I’m a decent cook and I’ll pay for yours if we go out to eat. I wash dishes at camp and tell good jokes. Some are not PC. I have reliable transportation and can be trusted to shoot or not shoot any deer or type of deer you request on your property. I always show up with a sighted in rifle and rarely cripple or miss. I hope that helps. Please don’t cut me from the list.
Don't drink is a deal killer for me. :bounce:

FMC

I'm not a biologist, so I can't say definitively or argue either way regarding CWD, but the first thing they seem to do in CWD affected areas is ban baiting. From a common sense standpoint, it seems reasonable to me that deer eating from a trough are more likely to transmit CWD, than deer eating in a soybean field. I personally do not like baiting, but to be totally transparent, I've killed deer on food plots. Mostly doe harvest to reduce the population. And we do feed deer in the off season to add antler growth with some fine products. But I refuse to kill one over a bait pile. That's my choice. I prefer the old methods which puts me at a distinct disadvantage when all the neighbors are feeding consistently and hunting over those piles. CWD is the second factor for me, the art of hunting based on woodsmanship v. bating is the primary factor I make my choice.

FMC

I'm not here to sway or tell people HOW to hunt. I'm simply stating that in my opinion, legalized baiting has diminished the sport as we know it. In the southern zone where swamps and ridiculous thickets are the norm, I totally understood the baiting laws. I don't get it in the northern zone.

FMC

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I feed deer and every season when the hunters arrive the deer leave. They put tons of feed out. Every year after the season they return. One or 2 are missing. What I see missing the most are the does and young bucks. I’m in SWGA. They hungry when they show back up. I think I have just about the only food plots in this general area. I’ve been giving them a 1/2 bucket of corn scattered out.
It’s gone every day.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I'm not here to sway or tell people HOW to hunt. I'm simply stating that in my opinion, legalized baiting has diminished the sport as we know it. In the southern zone where swamps and ridiculous thickets are the norm, I totally understood the baiting laws. I don't get it in the northern zone.

I see it the other way around. How many 40 acre peanut fields are found in the Northern zone?

buckpasser

I see it the other way around. How many 40 acre peanut fields are found in the Northern zone?

I don’t see how northern or southern zone would really matter as for the legalizing of baiting. There are obstacles and natural foods in each. Good point on the fields though.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I don’t see how northern or southern zone would really matter as for the legalizing of baiting. There are obstacles and natural foods in each. Good point on the fields though.

You know my situation. Hunting the airport farm when Mike Barnes planted peanuts was like going out back to the smokehouse. You just got to pick the right spot on the edge to hang your stand. :wink:

buckpasser

You know my situation. Hunting the airport farm when Mike Barnes planted peanuts was like going out back to the smokehouse. You just got to pick the right spot on the edge to hang your stand. :wink:

That was a very good situation!