Changes proposed for hunting seasons

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
To each his own.

Everybody can hunt like you want, but not all of us with agree with it and don't won't it on our property.

Get invited to hunt at my place, its my house my rules. Don't like it, tuff. I don't care.

Anybody that has hunted has made a bad shot, it happens, but shooting for the head is just stupid, but that's my opinion.
Your Entitled to that. I have no problem with rules on places. Our place has rules. On the club it’s no guest. Immediate family only. We make a few Exceptions. My family lease since it’s mine we can have guest. We didn’t even hunt the club land. I planted all the plots everywhere.ours and the club. Fixed roads. Things like that.

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I truly do hope the DNR makes changes to accommodate the hunters in those 3 or 4 counties with a super late rut.
I like how the season starts and ends across the state at the same time, minus the few extended archery counties, it's easier for the whole state, I don't think a few extra weeks will change a whole lot for most folks. I know some folks want to hunt the rut for the area, I prefer early season patterns in all honesty, my spot for the most part they are still in somewhat those same summer patterns into December some years as crazy as that sounds. Scrapes didn't even open up until the week of Christmas

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Should of checked my camera sooner. Could of drive there. Walk down the road climb in stand and head shoot a hog.
1674520804141.jpeg

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I haven't seen anyone say it completely wipes out herds? In Wyoming (I think, I will 2x check) their whitetail population is down 43%. FORTY-THREE PERCENT. Let me find the paper and share it. But let's say my old feeble mind is firing on 1 cylinder and 43% is the correct percentage. Is that not a lot??? Imagine our population taking a near 50% drop. Due to CWD.

Coupled with the drop in herd number you have the slow agonizing death that takes CWD infected whitetail a year or so to succumb to. If you love deer this disease really stinks.

Of course your hunting then changes as well when CWD is local. Because off goes the sample for the deer to be tested before you can eat. And changed is how you process the deer and dispose of the deer. What becomes of the processors whose livelihood is processing deer?

So IF we could collectively do something EASY (remember most people in 2023 Western Civilization love the easy way out) such as removing baiting / communal feed and mineral sites and this action alone drastically slows the spread of CWD is that not enough reason to stop baiting?

You mean to tell me the baiting side doesn't mind changing how they process and discard of deer due to CWD? And the delay in waiting to learn if their harvest is infected or not before they can eat their harvest? Also, will the testing be free of financial cost, or will a lab fee be assessed?

I look at the cost to the deer and to the people when CWD is local. It is going to s0ck big time. Ask those where CWD is present where they hunt.
Baiting and feeding really have nothing to do with keeping CWD out of Georgia, but carcass import restrictions and bans on the import of live deer do. There really isn't any good research that documents whether or not the transmission of CWD is increased by putting out feed or bait. We assume it can increase the speed of transmission, but no one can say by what degree. The science on this particular subject is woefully inadequate. I've been around for a while now and seen how lacking science has been used to pick a side on an ethical issue. I would absolutely support a ban on baiting and feeding if it would substantially reduce the transmission of CWD, but there's not a single study that can show that in the conditions found in Georgia. Georgia is a private land state, so managing CWD will be largely dealing with private landowners and hunters. Managing CWD is a long-term situation, so blanket bans on certain activities like feeding and baiting can impact the ability of the state to manage CWD on private land. While eliminating all feed and bait from the landscape may slow the spread of CWD to some unknown extent, we don't really know the effect of allowing bait versus reducing bait. Baiting bans won't eliminate bait on the landscape, will the reduction in bait piles concentrate deer more or less than lots of bait piles? We don't know.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
You fellers are like family to me!

Thanks for the clear and concise summation Charlie. I have no doubt this is a topic near and dear to you and all the other wildlife biologists at WRD. We are lucky to have all of you on our side doing the real scientific work and trying to find the answers. I doubt the state pays y'all what you're worth.

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
If bait is outlawed under the guise of stopping the spread of cwd, do we outlaw licking branches next? Since it can be spread by saliva? What about watering holes? Ohh my goodness they're all drinking after each other

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I’ve hunted with a couple of folks like one of the hunters in here. Never missed. Bragged about it. All this and all that.
Go out hunting. Here a shot come from where he’s at. Get back to camp.
Just say what u kill ???
He says. That was not me that shot !
I say no one said u shot. Lols
So do we need to go look or did u miss.
More than once this has happen.