Does anyone use the Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
It's not worth the hassle, I don't even use mine anymore.
Can you give us more insight about why you don't like it?
I was thinking about a sonic cleaner myself.

doomtrpr_z71

Can you give us more insight about why you don't like it?
I was thinking about a sonic cleaner myself.
It's just slow, it doesn't hold a lot, loading it down reduces it's efficacy, it's a pain to keep restarting it and the corn cob media does a good enough job without needing an area to dry the brass. I'd rather wet tumble if I want new looking brass, I'm not that worried about having the inside of brass clean.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I had one early on from MidwayUSA that was loud as all get out. Never was happy with the way it cleaned. Kinda like what doomtrpr_z71...whole lot of trouble. Since then I picked up one of the smaller Hornady unit and it had the same issues.

I wouldn't mind having one that got hot for parts cleaning. The Midway one did clean suppressors kinda good.

I guess I'm backwards...I like the inside clean more than the outside. Once I started using SS pins that pretty much wrapped up the cleaning issues I felt I had and didn't mind putting them in the sun or the old dehydrator to dry tem...I do still use a vibratory for a couple of things...moly coating with ceramic media...and cob or walnut depending on the need.

I wouldn't mind having a heated one that held a couple of gallons.

Last edited:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
It's just slow, it doesn't hold a lot, loading it down reduces it's efficacy, it's a pain to keep restarting it and the corn cob media does a good enough job without needing an area to dry the brass. I'd rather wet tumble if I want new looking brass, I'm not that worried about having the inside of brass clean.
That is good info, I appreciate it.

WishboneW

X2. Same with mine

menhadenman

Pretty sure it was @Jester896 and another guy on here that made me buy an STM tumbler. It really does a great job through I’ve only used it a couple times so far. The only downside I see is that it’s a hassle to do a small number of shells. I wound up keeping my old cabelas walnut tumbler and use that for small batches.

Good luck-

Reactions: Dub

rosewood

They work really well for cleaning jewelry. That is all I have ever used mine for. I actually have 2, acquired one in a trade and have never plugged it in. The one I bought at HF is identical to one of the Hornady ones except mine is gray instead of red and black. The Hornady one is/was twice the price.

Rosewood

Big7

The Oracle
They work really well for cleaning jewelry. That is all I have ever used mine for. I actually have 2, acquired one in a trade and have never plugged it in. The one I bought at HF is identical to one of the Hornady ones except mine is gray instead of red and black. The Hornady one is/was twice the price.

Rosewood
Probably made in the same factory.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I almost bought the HF 6L one today but I went with their Vibratory Case Cleaner instead. My RCBS vcc just hums so the motor is shot and I needed something to replace it with. I had the sonic cleaner on my mind but not looking to add the extra steps. I am used to the walnut media process so I went with familiarity.

rosewood

Dub

I want the primer pockets clean...with the Ultra Sonic it does soften it up a good bit but it still needs a brush to suit me. I don't feel it does any better than a vibratory. With SS pins you get it all IMO

(y) (y) (y) (y)

I can't remember if we have discussed this or not.....but, have you experimented with different sizes & shapes of the stainless pins ?

Was wondering if there is an optimum version.

Jester896

Senior Clown
to my knowledge there are 2 sizes commonly used. I use the smaller ones because they clean the primer pocket better. The only drawback to them is if the flash hole is a little oversized two will get lodged in it. That might be a good sign to put those cases in a different batch. The other drawback I find is sometimes they will get lodged in the neck of a .25-.26 caliber case neck and pins get trapped in the case. STM says throw those pins away...pffft. I keep and awl handy to push the low end back in the case a dump them all out and reuse them all. I might start throwing them away...I have about 5# as back up.

I have some triangle shaped ones that I haven't used...feel like a couple of pounds but haven't weighed it.