Does Religion Poison Everything?

ted_BSR

Good read and Ravi makes some excellent points.

However, I have a question.

Why "Only Jesus Christ"? Why can a person not just make the transformation on his own? Why not through the teachings of some other figure? Why is this the "only" path?

John 14:6

ambush80

Good read and Ravi makes some excellent points.

However, I have a question.

Why "Only Jesus Christ"? Why can a person not just make the transformation on his own? Why not through the teachings of some other figure? Why is this the "only" path?

Hey, Pnome,

Now that you're a deist, are you trying to figure out which deity it is?

pnome

Now that you're a deist, are you trying to figure out which deity it is?

That would take a GREAT deal of effort. No thanks, I don't pretend to know anything about that. But when someone says their god is the "only way" I'm interested in why, exactly, they think that's so.

Who knows? Maybe they'll convince me. I was convinced of something I never would have thought I would be convinced of before. It could happen.

I like to think I've got the bar raised high enough. But not too high.

Four

"I dont see it as a problem, people are not born evil, that's a terrible judao-christian dogma. People are essentially good. Is everyone? No."

Essentially good? What is your definition of evil? The first time you lied to your parents were you being good? Were you taught that or was it just something in you? Whats the difference between the people that are essentially good and the other that aren't?

I think it's rooted in empathy, the non aggression principle, etc.

I don't think lying is evil, nor good, but morally neutral. I think evil requires action, or the threat of action. I think the average person you can trust and they wont let you down.

ted_BSR

That would take a GREAT deal of effort. No thanks, I don't pretend to know anything about that. But when someone says their god is the "only way" I'm interested in why, exactly, they think that's so.

Who knows? Maybe they'll convince me. I was convinced of something I never would have thought I would be convinced of before. It could happen.

I like to think I've got the bar raised high enough. But not too high.

Just for the record PNOME, I am not trying to convince anybody to believe the things I do. I think that ultimately only God can show you the truth. He might use me, or Six Million Dollar Ham, but it isn't us who have the power to do the actual convincing.

mtnwoman

Ms. mtnwoman - I made no reference to anything remotely political. My post was just an observation on atheist obsession with debating Christians - trying to prove nothing. Probably off topic but :cheers:

No, I'm sorry I know you didn't. I was actually covering several posts in that one post. I'm bad about doing that...I was basically agreeing with your post but adding my 2 cents to what somebody else said.

mtnwoman

I think it's rooted in empathy, the non aggression principle, etc.

I don't think lying is evil, nor good, but morally neutral. I think evil requires action, or the threat of action. I think the average person you can trust and they wont let you down.
Doesn't it at least depend on the lie?
If someone asks me if their hair looks good, and it really doesn't, I'd probably says yeah it looks good, come here and let me fix that part.

If my granddaughter tells me she's walking up here to the store (which I would never her do anyway, cause I ain't stupid).....but actually she's going to meet some idjit she doesn't know that she met on the internet.

If you ask a child did they break something and they lie about it, you think that's ok? Usually when there is a lie involved there either has been or will be an action.
I think giving(lying) someone the wrong information, absolutely can not be considered a good thing....????

When I was young and I'm 60 and anybody else here, lied when they were young, they got punished. And that's why I say morals are running down hill......lying is not bad????.....kinda proves my point. We're losing our morals.

Four

Doesn't it at least depend on the lie?
If someone asks me if their hair looks good, and it really doesn't, I'd probably says yeah it looks good, come here and let me fix that part.

If my granddaughter tells me she's walking up here to the store (which I would never her do anyway, cause I ain't stupid).....but actually she's going to meet some idjit she doesn't know that she met on the internet.

If you ask a child did they break something and they lie about it, you think that's ok? Usually when there is a lie involved there either has been or will be an action.
I think giving(lying) someone the wrong information, absolutely can not be considered a good thing....????

When I was young and I'm 60 and anybody else here, lied when they were young, they got punished. And that's why I say morals are running down hill......lying is not bad????.....kinda proves my point. We're losing our morals.

As long as the lie isn't coercive, i'ts not immoral. Its aesthetically negative at worst.

Yeh but fuel is $4.20/gal, thank you Barak Hussien Obama, So I'll wait for the internet version.

Wow. Not much point in arguing with someone who clings to flimsy excuses for remaining unenlightened.