Does the Bible clearly state that holidays like Halloween and Christmas are wrong?

Sargent

Gotta chime in here:

This is the kind of brilliant infighting that causes fence-sitting non-believers to stay that way.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Gotta chime in here:

This is the kind of brilliant infighting that causes fence-sitting non-believers to stay that way.

Gotta second that.

We are not Jews, we are not under the law covenant, that was between God and the Jews, so no, he would never expect a Christian to observe Jewish holidays.

Sometimes when you get a rote answer, you just blow it off, but sitting around last night, this knee jerk response got me to thinking.

First, the "law covenant", whatever that might be, has nothing to do with the Jewish Holidays (or most of them anyway, there might be one or two with which I am not familiar)

Rosh Hashana -- celebrates the day God created Adam, gives thanks to God for creating the world, and acknowledges that God is the one and true King. Why wouldn't a Christian want to participate in that?

Yom Kippur-- is the Day of Atonement in which the individual seeks forgiveness for his transgressions between he and God. The sinner has to fast and refrain from all non-religious activity. Of all the Jewish holidays, this one seems to me the one that Jews celebrate that most directly translates to Christianity. Why wouldn't you want a day of atonement, when all you do is focus on your transgressions of God. (Unless maybe you're convinced you have no transgressions.)

Passover -- this of course celebrates the Jews flight from Egypt. It is directly tied into Easter (and Good Friday) and is responsible for the Holy Eucharist (Lord's Supper). Jesus makes many references to Moses and freeing the Jews from Egypt, and the Passover story is central to Jesus role.

Footnote on the "law covenant" -- most churches (all with which I am familiar) still use "unleavened bread" because this is what the Jews used in first Passover, and was what Jesus, an observant Jew, used for the Last Supper. If the "law covenant" is gone, why can't we have Eucharist with twinkies?

Chanukka, Hannuka--- celebrates the Festival of Lights. Pretty much a Jewish tradition, but we have our pagan Christmas at the same time. Historically a minor Jewish holiday, it has gained significance because of it's overlap with Christmas, and many Jews assimilating Christmas practices such as the tree and gift giving. (Or if you will, assimilating the pagan practices of Christians, go figure. Of course the Orthodox Jews rail against this assimilation, just like some other people I know.)

Curious historical-Biblical fact: Although the events that created Chanukkah were very recent to New Testament times (100-200 years BC), nothing of the events at all are mentioned in The Bible, Jewish or Christian.

Purim-- celebrates Esther saving the Jews, as described in the Book of Esther . A minor holiday. It is mostly a fun holiday, which I guess is one reason not to consider it as a Christian one. One of the traditions is a drinking game where one drinks until one can't recite two sayings (Jewish Whale Tale's I guess). Lots of eating and gift giving are associated with the holiday. The holiday has been described as the "Jewish Mardi Gras".

Curious Biblical fact; The Book of Esther does not mention God.

Christian Holidays that don't get much observance---

Ascension of Christ--- if the Resurrection (Easter) is the central event of Christianity, then the Ascension of Christ has to be right beside it. Curiously this is a minor "holiday", mostly observed by the Catholics and a few liturgical Protestant Churches. It one wants to develop analogs, one would think that this would be the Christian analog to Yom Kippur, a day of atonement and repentance.

Pentecost -- Fundamentalists always come back to the Feast of Pentecost, yet the Descent of the Holy Spirit is not recognized by many individuals or churches. And this despite the fact that the date can be calculated exactly. As the events at Pentecost were central to the spread of The Gospel to all the world, and transformed Christianity from a Jewish sect to a world church, you'd thing there would be more observance of it.

Given that apparently all the disciples but one were there plus all the other Christians in Jerusalam, the celebration of the Feast of Pentecost must have been important to them. So we get back to another Jewish holiday that should have been incorporated as a Christian holiday.

Deaths of the Apostles -- both Paul and Peter were "celebrities" in their time, both being known by reputation and their writings around the entire Mediterranean, yet the date of their deaths is not exactly known.

Bottom line is that a "holy day" is what you make of it. If you make it a "Holiday", God will not be offended.

sbrown

I rarely comment on religious subjects cause I know little about the bible and people get so touchy on the matter, and I honestly just skimmed over this post, but people get all excited about Christmas and Easter it seems cause it is fun and deals with babies and kids and presents, maybe wrong reasons for some, not saying everyone, just something I have observed. But, wasn't it Jesus's death that he actually commanded us to commemorate with the passover and the last supper when he said keep doing these things in remembrance of me? I thought that was actual scripture. Maybe someone can refresh my memory on that. I remember no actual scriptural commandment saying to celebrate his birth? Is there such? How many people actually observe that special occasion (passover) ? Just a thought.

DonMorris

Pentecost -- Fundamentalists always come back to the Feast of Pentecost, yet the Descent of the Holy Spirit is not recognized by many individuals or churches. And this despite the fact that the date can be calculated exactly. As the events at Pentecost were central to the spread of The Gospel to all the world, and transformed Christianity from a Jewish sect to a world church, you'd thing there would be more observance of it.

We do Pentecost at our church but it's because it is also the birth of the new testament church.

5282jt

Sorry

Boring!! You’re the one who grabbed misquoted text from some website, and then when it’s suggested that you actually read what they have to say you pass it off as boring.
I stand guilty as charged! Not as misquoting text, but I did just cut out a portion.
I also apologize for attacking your religion so blatantly. The bible says our words should be seasoned with salt and mine were not.

Wrong. Only correct interpretation of the Scriptures can prove anything right or wrong.

So no once saved always saved? NO, of course not. That's ridiculous!

He did so are we ever to make violent defense of God?

I guess no fighting for God and Country.Correct. God does not request, nor want violent defence.
God and country is a man made saying. God does not sanction our modern day wars. He did sanction wars with Israel, even fighting for them in many cases. The wars fought today are not ordered by Goid, nor are the reasons soldiers kill in war religious reasons, they are political wars, often about money.

I make no excuse for pedophile no matter what church they come from. I'm sure you don't! I know that priests are not the only ministers who do this. I do think their abstaining from marriage, is a push in that direction, more so than other ministers who marry.

Again please go back and read the Bible, the Early Church Fathers, and the Church Councils. Yes early on they were allowed to be married when they became Priests however they could not have relations with their wives after becoming Priests. Single men who became Priest could not marry because they could not consummate the marriage.
Here are a couple Bible passages on celibacy

Matthew 19:11-12 I see no command not to marry, as the catholic church has? Sure, an unmarried person has more time to devote to spiritual matters, than a married man and that's all the scripture is suggesting. Not a forced celibacy.
1 Corinthians 7:27-38
Same here. It simply says it's fine to marry, but you could do more spiritually, if you remain single. NO COMPULSIVE ORDER NOT TO MARRY AT ALL.
From the Catholic New Jerusalem Bible-{ MY UNDERLINES}
1 Cor 7:27 If you are joined to a wife, do not seek to be released; if you are freed of a wife, do not look for a wife.

28 However, if you do get married, that is not a sin, and it is not sinful for a virgin to enter upon ma rriage. But such people will have the hardships consequent on human nature, and I would like you to be without that.

29 What I mean, brothers, is that the time has become limited, and from now on, those who have spouses should live as though they had none;

30 and those who mourn as though they were not mourning; those who enjoy life as though they did not enjoy it; those who have been buying property as though they had no possessions;

31 and those who are involved with the world as though they were people not engrossed in it. Because this world as we know it is passing away.

32 I should like you to have your minds free from all worry. The unmarried man gives his mind to the Lord's affairs and to how he can please the Lord;

33 but the man who is married gives his mind to the affairs of this world and to how he can please his wife, and he is divided in mind.

34 So, too, the unmarried woman, and the virgin, gives her mind to the Lord's affairs and to being holy in body and spirit; but the married woman gives her mind to the affairs of this world and to how she can please her husband.

35 I am saying this only to help you, not to put a bridle on you, but so that everything is as it should be, and you are able to give your undivided attention to the Lord.

36 If someone with strong passions thinks that he is behaving badly towards his fiance'e and that things should take their due course, he should follow his desires. There is no sin in it; they should marry.

37 But if he stands firm in his resolution, without any compulsion but with full control of his own will, and decides to let her remain as his fiance'e, then he is acting well.

38 In other words, he who marries his fiance'e is doing well, and he who does not, better still.

The only apostle who was said to have had a mother-in law was Peter. No mention of his wife or children.There is only 1 way to have a mother in law! :) You gotta be married!

We practice Adoration of the Lord, and Veneration of Mary and the Saints. There is a big difference. Hmmmm, from what I recall, Catholics offer prayers to Mary and to all those called saints - yet the bible says there is "only one mediator between God and man, Jesus Christ" Mary gets about 75% of the worship given by church goers. The rosary is what? 10 hail Marys and 1 our father? :)

The average Catholic is who? I know plenty of Catholics just like me, so for me I am an average Catholic. Your experience informs you, your impression of an average Catholic is based on the ones you have met. So, in all honesty, you feel the average catholic, has as much knowledge and is as willing to speak up, as you???

I only need to be safe in one, I am safe with my Lord Jesus Christ in the arms of His Bride the Church.OK

No you hear the shedding of loose branches. I choose to stick to the vine.
:bounce:

More reasons I learned to leave what I consider the "UNHOLY" catholic church. I believe it has been led by Satan=
Please note. Jesus nor his father would never dream of doing such things! So, they were not behind these church/state torture and massacres. Who do you suppose WAS behind them?
Obviously SATAN. As this was Satanic conduct, not Christian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albigensian_Crusade

Albigensian Crusade

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Albigensian Crusade or Cathar Crusade (1209-1229) was a 20-year military campaign initiated by the Roman Catholic Church to eliminate the heresy of the Cathars of Languedoc.

When Innocent III's diplomatic attempts to roll back Catharism [1] met with little success, he declared a crusade against Languedoc, offering the lands of the schismatics to any French nobleman willing to take up arms. The violence, extreme even by medieval standards, led to France's acquiring of lands with closer cultural and linguistic ties to Catalonia (see Occitan). An estimated 200,000 people died during the crusade.[2]

The Albigensian Crusade also had a role in the creation and institutionalization of both the Dominican Order and the Medieval Inquisition.

Origin

The Roman Catholic Church had always dealt vigorously with strands of Christianity that it considered heretical, but before the 12th century these groups were organized in small numbers, around wayward preachers or small localized sects. The Cathars of Languedoc represented an alarmingly popular mass movement,[3] a phenomenon that the Roman Church had not seen for almost 900 years, since Arianism and Marcionism in the early days of Christianity. In the 12th century much of what is now Southern France was converting to Catharism, and the belief was spreading to other areas. The Cathars, along with other religious sects of the period such as the Waldensians, appeared in the cities and towns of newly urbanized areas. Although Cathar ideas had not originated in Languedoc, one of the most urbanized and populated areas of Europe at the time, for reasons unknown it was there that their theology found its most spectacular success.

The Cathars were especially numerous in what is now western Mediterranean France, then part of the Crown of Aragon. They were also called Albigensians; this is either because of the movement's presence in and around the city of Albi, or because of the 1176 Church Council[4] held near Albi which declared the Cathar doctrine heretical. Political control in Languedoc was divided among many local lords and town councils.[5] Before the crusade, there was little fighting in the area and a fairly sophisticated polity.

On becoming Pope in 1198, Innocent III resolved to deal with the Cathars. He first tried peaceful conversion, but the preachers sent out to return the schismatics to the Roman communion met with little success.[6] Even St. Dominic succeeded in converting only a handful.[7] The Cathar leadership was protected by powerful nobles,[8] and also by some bishops, who resented papal authority in their sees. In 1204 the Pope suspended the authority of some of those bishops,[9] appointing papal legates to act in his name.[10] In 1206 he sought support for wider action against the Cathars from the nobles of Languedoc.[11] Noblemen who supported Catharism were excommunicated.

The powerful count Raymond VI of Toulouse refused to assist and was excommunicated in May 1207. The Pope called upon the French king, Philippe II, to act against those nobles who permitted Catharism, but Philippe declined to act. Count Raymond met with the papal legate, Pierre de Castelnau, in January 1208,[12] and after an angry meeting, Castelnau was murdered the following day.[13] The Pope reacted to the murder by issuing a bull declaring a crusade against Languedoc - offering the land of the heretics to any who would fight. This offer of land drew the northern French nobility into conflict with the nobles of the south.[14]

2 TIMOTHY 3:7

Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Never before have men known so much while they know so little. There used to be a time, the question of Christmas, Easter, Halloween, etc, would not be questioned at all. They knew that many customs today, said to be in honor of Jesus Christ, Were dishonoring & pagan to the core having nothing whatsoever to do with Christianity. People today have lost the "Spirit of Truth".

http://www.letgodbetrue.com/bible/holidays/easter-problems.htm

http://atheism.about.com/od/easterholidayseason/p/PaganChristian.htm

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/28518/easter_its_true_pagan_origins.html

Last edited:

5282jt

You are exactly right!

I rarely comment on religious subjects cause I know little about the bible and people get so touchy on the matter, and I honestly just skimmed over this post, but people get all excited about Christmas and Easter it seems cause it is fun and deals with babies and kids and presents, maybe wrong reasons for some, not saying everyone, just something I have observed. But, wasn't it Jesus's death that he actually commanded us to commemorate with the passover and the last supper when he said keep doing these things in remembrance of me? BINGO! That is correct!I thought that was actual scripture. Maybe someone can refresh my memory on that. It is Luke 22:19I remember no actual scriptural commandment saying to celebrate his birth? Is there such? No, none. How many people actually observe that special occasion (passover) ? I don't know????Just a thought.Good thinking!

5282jt

What if you are just plain wrong? :)

Sometimes when you get a rote answer, you just blow it off, but sitting around last night, this knee jerk response got me to thinking.

First, the "law covenant", whatever that might be, has nothing to do with the Jewish Holidays (or most of them anyway, there might be one or two with which I am not familiar)

Rosh Hashana -- celebrates the day God created Adam, gives thanks to God for creating the world, and acknowledges that God is the one and true King. Why wouldn't a Christian want to participate in that?

Yom Kippur-- is the Day of Atonement in which the individual seeks forgiveness for his transgressions between he and God. The sinner has to fast and refrain from all non-religious activity. Of all the Jewish holidays, this one seems to me the one that Jews celebrate that most directly translates to Christianity. Why wouldn't you want a day of atonement, when all you do is focus on your transgressions of God. (Unless maybe you're convinced you have no transgressions.)

Passover -- this of course celebrates the Jews flight from Egypt. It is directly tied into Easter (and Good Friday) and is responsible for the Holy Eucharist (Lord's Supper). Jesus makes many references to Moses and freeing the Jews from Egypt, and the Passover story is central to Jesus role.

Footnote on the "law covenant" -- most churches (all with which I am familiar) still use "unleavened bread" because this is what the Jews used in first Passover, and was what Jesus, an observant Jew, used for the Last Supper. If the "law covenant" is gone, why can't we have Eucharist with twinkies?

Chanukka, Hannuka--- celebrates the Festival of Lights. Pretty much a Jewish tradition, but we have our pagan Christmas at the same time. Historically a minor Jewish holiday, it has gained significance because of it's overlap with Christmas, and many Jews assimilating Christmas practices such as the tree and gift giving. (Or if you will, assimilating the pagan practices of Christians, go figure. Of course the Orthodox Jews rail against this assimilation, just like some other people I know.)

Curious historical-Biblical fact: Although the events that created Chanukkah were very recent to New Testament times (100-200 years BC), nothing of the events at all are mentioned in The Bible, Jewish or Christian.

Purim-- celebrates Esther saving the Jews, as described in the Book of Esther . A minor holiday. It is mostly a fun holiday, which I guess is one reason not to consider it as a Christian one. One of the traditions is a drinking game where one drinks until one can't recite two sayings (Jewish Whale Tale's I guess). Lots of eating and gift giving are associated with the holiday. The holiday has been described as the "Jewish Mardi Gras".

Curious Biblical fact; The Book of Esther does not mention God.

Christian Holidays that don't get much observance---

Ascension of Christ--- if the Resurrection (Easter) is the central event of Christianity, then the Ascension of Christ has to be right beside it. Curiously this is a minor "holiday", mostly observed by the Catholics and a few liturgical Protestant Churches. It one wants to develop analogs, one would think that this would be the Christian analog to Yom Kippur, a day of atonement and repentance.

Given that apparently all the disciples but one were there plus all the other Christians in Jerusalam, the celebration of the Feast of Pentecost must have been important to them. So we get back to another Jewish holiday that should have been incorporated as a Christian holiday.

Deaths of the Apostles -- both Paul and Peter were "celebrities" in their time, both being known by reputation and their writings around the entire Mediterranean, yet the date of their deaths is not exactly known.

Bottom line is that a "holy day" is what you make of it. If you make it a "Holiday", God will not be offended.I think that sounds good! :)
But it doesn't hold water against facts or God's word.
2 TIMOTHY 3:7
"Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth."
Never before have people who profess to be Christian, known so much while they know so little. There used to be a time, the question of Christmas, Easter, Halloween, etc, would not be questioned at all. They knew that many customs today, said to be in honor of Jesus Christ, were in fact, dishonoring & pagan to the core having nothing whatsoever to do with Christianity. People today have lost the “Spirit of Truth” and got to "believing the lie".
http://www.letgodbetrue.com/bible/holidays/easter-problems.htm
http://atheism.about.com/od/easterholidayseason/p/PaganChristian.htm
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/28518/easter_its_true_pagan_origins.html

Never before have people who profess to be Christian, known so much while they know so little. There used to be a time, the question of Christmas, Easter, Halloween, etc, would not be questioned at all. They knew that many customs today, said to be in honor of Jesus Christ, were in fact, dishonoring & pagan to the core having nothing whatsoever to do with Christianity. People today have lost the “Spirit of Truth” and got to "believing the lie".

So when was that "time", and what got all those people who knew the "truth" off to "believing the lie", whatever that is.

You know, I went to a elementary school Halloween festival Friday night. Has never been to one before. You know what impressed me?

Little princesses. There must have been 100 Little Princesses. There were black Little Princesses, white Little Princesses, Hispanic Little Princesses, and even an oriental Little Princess, each and every one secure in the knowledge that she was THE Little Princess.

I actually thought about this thread. How anyone could see that and think that these children were the spawn of Satan and doing the Devil's work is beyond me.

5282jt

Holloween is usually NOT all pricesses

First of all, these are your words, not mine='these children were the spawn of Satan and doing the Devil's work' I never said the children were any such thing. ALL FAULT lies with the parents who help and teach their children to go through these Satanic rituals and celebrations. The kids have no idea what is right ,wrong, Christian or Pagan. They have to rely on their parents for proper training.
I think if you look around, you will see that the majority of Holloween decorations and costumes, are not that of princesses, but demonic witches, gouls, superstitious black cats and skulls and skeletons.
The early Christian church [prior to apostasy] had no part in any such things and would have no part in them today either!
I'm surprised that anyone would even think to question weather Holloween is Christian or not

King James Version (KJV)

Passage 2 Corinthians 6:17:

17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.

People are just too deluded and decieved nowadays, to see what is Christian and what is not.

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Passage 2 Thessalonians 2:11:
11 For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false.

New Living Translation (NLT)

Passage 2 Thessalonians 2:11:
11 So God will cause them to be greatly deceived, and they will believe these lies.

Well, if you want something else to obsess on, and sour you on life;

Most of our months and all of our weekdays have names that are derivations of the names of pagan Gods, or Roman emperors that thought they were god--

Guess that is one of those unclean things we should be separating usselves from.

Even the universal day of worship for Christians is named after the Sun God.

Of course the real, biblical day of worship is named after Saturn, a Roman god.

ALL FAULT lies with the parents who help and teach their children to go through these Satanic rituals and celebrations.

So all those Little Princesses were engaged in a Satanic ritual and celebrating Satan? I'm thinking they were a lot closer to celebrating Cinderella, Snow White or Beauty and the Beast.

Oh well.

5282jt

It's just a discussion

Well, if you want something else to obsess on, and sour you on life;
You do not have to be sour on life, just because you do what is right and avoid what is obviously a bad thing.

Most of our months and all of our weekdays have names that are derivations of the names of pagan Gods, or Roman emperors that thought they were god--
I know that and can't do anything in my life to change that.
On the other hand, I do not have to involve myself, nor my children in Satanic Holloween customs. I just do what I can.

Guess that is one of those unclean things we should be separating usselves from.
If it were a custom to name those days something different yearly, I would not take part in naming them after mythological gods etc.

Even the universal day of worship for Christians is named after the Sun God. I see you said "universal day" I assume that's because you already know that Sunday was not originally the Sabbath day?

Of course the real, biblical day of worship is named after Saturn, a Roman god. Oh ya, you said that here! :)
Of course, it was not Christians who put those names on the days nor on the Jewish Sabbath day.
Christians of course, are not under law, so they would not observe the Jewish Sabbaths.

So all those Little Princesses were engaged in a Satanic ritual and celebrating Satan? I'm thinking they were a lot closer to celebrating Cinderella, Snow White or Beauty and the Beast. No, they were doing what their parents raised them to do. Celebrating Holloween. Even 100 little princesses do not change what Holloween is really all about, nor does that 1 instance, where you somehow managed to see 100 children all dressed up as princesses and apparantly no devil, gouhl or witch costumes at all??????

Oh well. Oh well. :) Here's some interesting info-
http://wilstar.com/holidays/hallown.htm

apparantly no devil, gouhl or witch costumes at all??????

Yeppers, saw them, and some of them were really good. Saw an excellent Tin Man, Jason of chainsaw fame seemed to be really popular. One of the best witches was a teacher dressed as a Harry Potter character. Several Jedi Knights, and pirates. idiotidiotidiotidiotidiot cats seemed to be big too.

One Joel Osteen costume, and that made me think that the devil really was using the holiday for His purposes. That costume really scared me.

whitworth

If you're not Irish, or Catholic, a Roman or a Druid maybe

Found on the Internet:

"When you think of Halloween, what comes to mind? For a lot of people, Halloween has become synonymous with candy, costumes, scary stuff, witches, ghosts and pumpkins. But do you know the Christian connection to the holiday?"

"The true origins of Halloween lie with the ancient Celtic tribes who lived in Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Brittany. For the Celts, November 1 marked the beginning of a new year and the coming of winter. The night before the new year, they celebrated the festival of Samhain, Lord of the Dead. During this festival, Celts believed the souls of the dead—including ghosts, goblins and witches—returned to mingle with the living. In order to scare away the evil spirits, people would wear masks and light bonfires."

"When the Romans conquered the Celts, they added their own touches to the Samhain festival, such as making centerpieces out of apples and nuts for Pomona, the Roman goddess of the orchards. The Romans also bobbed for apples and drank cider—traditions which may sound familiar to you. But where does the Christian aspect of the holiday come into play? In 835, Pope Gregory IV moved the celebration for all the martyrs (later all saints) from May 13 to November 1. The night before became known as All Hallow’s Even or “holy evening.” Eventually the name was shortened to the current Halloween. On November 2, the Church celebrates All Souls Day."

"The purpose of these feasts is to remember those who have died, whether they are officially recognized by the Church as saints or not. It is a celebration of the “communion of saints,” which reminds us that the Church is not bound by space or time."

The Catechism of the Catholic Church says that through the communion of saints “a perennial link of charity exists between the faithful who have already reached their heavenly home, those who are expiating their sins in purgatory and those who are still pilgrims on earth. Between them there is, too, an abundant exchange of all good things” (#1475).

I think Christians, like many other religious groups, take themselves too seriously.

I had a real chuckle, one time, parking in the lot of the Druid Hill Baptist Church. Those folks didn't take themselves too seriously.

5282jt

I don't mean to be insulting-honestly

But the Catholic Church is so very far from the religion Jesus left with his apostles, that it's hardly worth a discussion.
I really am sorry to be so blunt. I spent many years in the catholic church, only to find out how extremely blinded I had been made.
Yes or No I feel i'm being led along here. :) NO, because not all scripture needs an interpretation.

What is so ridiculous?
That anyone can be once saved always saved. Clearly, you must remain faithful to be saved.

Do you know that for sure? Yes, and i'm surprised that anyone would think differently????

Well the numbers say that .2 to 1.7 percent of Priests are likely to be pedophiles, while 2 to 3 percent of other ministers (ones in non Catholic churches) are likely to be pedophiles. The numbers are even higher in the public school system. Who supplies those numbers? I think [right or wrong] that catholic priests are most well known for being pedophiles.

Matthew 19:10-12
[His] disciples said to him, "If that is the case of a man with his wife, it is better not to marry." He answered, "Not all can accept [this] word, but only those to whom that is granted. Some are incapable of marriage because they were born so; some, because they were made so by others; some, because they have renounced marriage for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Whoever can accept this ought to accept it."

Our Priests have renounced marriage for the kingdom of heaven. As Christ said those who can accept this should. No one is forced not to marry. If you wish to be a Priest then you make the choice not to marry.No, if you wish to be a priest, you are forced to remain unmarried. Many priests have tried to fight this dogma.

1 Corinthians 7:27-38

But even here it says it’s better not to. The one who is not married is the one who can give his whole self to God. Ya, an unmarried person can do more.
That doesn't mean the catholic church should forbid marriage to be a priest.

Who is God talking about in Isaiah 56:3-7?
It's talking about castrated men, not catholic priests.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eunuch

I guess this bears repeating

None of the prayers are given in worship the Saints or Mary they are prayers asking for the Saints to pray for us. Just as you would ask someone to pray for your wife if she was or a friend in trouble, we ask the Saints in Heaven to pray for us. Yes the Saints are dead but they are still part of the body of Christ and like all those who die in Christ have everlasting life.

The Rosary in a pray to God. The Hail Mary is not a prayer is worship of Mary. All the words save the last are from the Bible

Hail Mary full of grace
Blessed art thou amongst women (Luke 1:28)
And blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus (Luke 1:42)
Holy Mary, Mother of God (Luke 1:43)
Pray for us sinners
Now and at the hour of our Death

No where in that prayer does it say Mary is our savoir, or we worship Mary not Christ. We are asking that she pray for us.

Mary always points us to her Son and says do as He commands. However we also know that He answers her requests.
We both know better. Catholics pray to saints. Maybe not you, but the average catholic, like my mother, grandmother and grandfather, definately pray right to Mary and the saints.
And freak out over demonic bleeding statues of them!

YesI find it very hard to believe you are being honest. Most catholics couldn't find a book of the bible in their mantle piece bibles.

If you would like to ascribe to the Albigensian Heresy you are more than welcome too. You might what to investigate some of their beliefs first.I think the catholic church's atrocities are well documented and don't need my stamp of approval.

5282jt

Jibberish

Found on the Internet:

"When you think of Halloween, what comes to mind? For a lot of people, Halloween has become synonymous with candy, costumes, scary stuff, witches, ghosts and pumpkins. But do you know the Christian connection to the holiday?"

"The true origins of Halloween lie with the ancient Celtic tribes who lived in Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Brittany. For the Celts, November 1 marked the beginning of a new year and the coming of winter. The night before the new year, they celebrated the festival of Samhain, Lord of the Dead. During this festival, Celts believed the souls of the dead—including ghosts, goblins and witches—returned to mingle with the living. In order to scare away the evil spirits, people would wear masks and light bonfires."

"When the Romans conquered the Celts, they added their own touches to the Samhain festival, such as making centerpieces out of apples and nuts for Pomona, the Roman goddess of the orchards. The Romans also bobbed for apples and drank cider—traditions which may sound familiar to you. But where does the Christian aspect of the holiday come into play? In 835, Pope Gregory IV moved the celebration for all the martyrs (later all saints) from May 13 to November 1. The night before became known as All Hallow’s Even or “holy evening.” Eventually the name was shortened to the current Halloween. On November 2, the Church celebrates All Souls Day."

"The purpose of these feasts is to remember those who have died, whether they are officially recognized by the Church as saints or not. It is a celebration of the “communion of saints,” which reminds us that the Church is not bound by space or time."

The Catechism of the Catholic Church says that through the communion of saints “a perennial link of charity exists between the faithful who have already reached their heavenly home, those who are expiating their sins in purgatory and those who are still pilgrims on earth. Between them there is, too, an abundant exchange of all good things” (#1475).

I think Christians, like many other religious groups, take themselves too seriously.

I had a real chuckle, one time, parking in the lot of the Druid Hill Baptist Church. Those folks didn't take themselves too seriously.Bologna :)
It was all pagan garbage that Christians should have no part in. You can't make garbage sound good with words.

Maybe not you, but the average catholic, like my mother, grandmother and grandfather, definately pray right to Mary and the saints.

I'm not Catholic, and I don't pray to Mary, Peter, John or Santa Claus.

However, this is one of those things that I don't understand why some people get all bent out of shape about.

Does God only hear only the prayers that are addressed directly to him? If so that is a pretty small minded God, who is supposed to be all knowing, and who has "his eye upon the sparrow".

This is one of many questions that my response question is , is what difference does it make? Even if someone does pray directly to Mary, are they going to go to idiotidiotidiotidiot for that mistake?

5282jt

Hmmmm

I'm not Catholic, and I don't pray to Mary, Peter, John or Santa Claus.

However, this is one of those things that I don't understand why some people get all bent out of shape about. This is a discussion board. I think this is it's purpose, isn't it? I'm far from bent out of shape about it. I'm just expressing what I believe to be right and wrong, according to the bible.

Does God only hear only the prayers that are addressed directly to him? Yes, Jesus said anything you ask "THE FATHER" in "my name" [in Jesus name] he would answer. If you have been given an invitation by God to speak directly to him, and we have been, then why would anyone in their right mind, not do so???If so that is a pretty small minded God, who is supposed to be all knowing, and who has "his eye upon the sparrow".I disagree. He is willing, as the creator of the universe, to have a personal relationship with us as individuals and to hear us out. So, should we throw that invitation back in his face and say, "no, i'll have Joseph or Mary talk to you for me?

This is one of many questions that my response question is , is what difference does it make? What difference does anything make? If God chooses to deal with us through prayer, on a one on one basis, it makes a BIG difference, if we choose to do otherwise!Even if someone does pray directly to Mary, are they going to go to idiotidiotidiotidiot for that mistake?
What does "go to idiotidiotidiotidiot" mean? I assume go to hellfire and be tortured by God for eternity? That's one of the biggest lies Satan has incorporated into false christianity today!
No loving father would torture his children for eternity in fire for disobedience! But, that's a whole 'nother subject! :offtopic:

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
What does "go to idiotidiotidiotidiot" mean? I assume go to hellfire and be tortured by God for eternity? That's one of the biggest lies Satan has incorporated into false christianity today!
No loving father would torture his children for eternity in fire for disobedience! But, that's a whole 'nother subject! :offtopic:

I don't understand your Catholic bashing. Not a really Christian Philosophy you have there buddy.:smash: