Romans Chapter 11

BanjoPicker

Israel's present state and future restoration (Rom. 11) Israel not set aside by the gospel (cp. Rom. 3:3, 4)

Rom. 11:1 I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham of the tribe of Benjamin.
Meaning What shall we conclude? Has God cast off Israel completely and permanently? God forbid. I am an Israelite myself and proof that God is not through with Jews, but willing to save all that will believe.

Rom.11:2 God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew . Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel saying,
Rom. 11:3 Lord they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life.
Meaning Quoted from 1 Ki. 19:10-18. This proves the doctrine of the remnant according to the election of grace (v5-6; Isa. 1:9 refs).

Rom. 11:4 But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal.
Meaning This illustrates how God can reserve 144,000 Jews to Himself after the rapture and during the first 3 and one-half years of Daniel's 70th week (Dan. 9:27; Rev. 7:1-8; 14:1-5).
Baal-worship was the state religion of Israel under Ahab and Jezebel. It was with this god that Elijah had his great contest (1 Ki. 18).

(A remnant saved by grace, not by law (Jer. 15:11; 23:3; 39:10; Isa. 1:9;refs.)

Rom.11:5 Even so then this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.
Meaning See Isa. 1:9, Grace elects to save all that will believe.
4 Elects of God
Christ (Isa. 42:1; 1 Pet. 2:6)
2 All Christians (Rom. 8:33; Col. 3:12; Titus 1:1; Jn. 15:16; Eph. 1:4; 2:10; 2 Th. 2:13; 2 Jn. 1:13)
3 Israel (Isa. 45:4; 65:9, 22; Mt. 24:21-31; Mk. 13:22, 27; 1 Pet. 1:2)
4 Angels (1 Tim. 5:21)
Anyone chosen of God at any time, Jew or Gentile, is the elect of God (Rom. 9:11; 11:5, 7, 28; 1 Th. 1:4; 1 Pet. 5:13; 2 Pet. 1:10). all men are called to become God's elect or chosen ones and can be if they will choose God (Mt. 11:28-30; 20:16; Jn. 1:12; 3:16-20; 6:37; Eph. 1:4; 2 Th. 2:13; Jas. 2:5; 1 Tim. 2:4; 2 Pet. 3:9; Rev. 17:14; 22:17).

Rom. 11:6 An if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.
Meaning The Jews were saved by grace and not because of any connection with a covenant of works. If it were of works, then it would cease to be a free and unmerited gift.

Last edited:

BanjoPicker

Israel's blinded through rebellion and unbelief (Rom. 11:25)

Rom. 11:7 What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for, but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blind
Rom11:8 (According as it is written. God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear), unto this day.
Meaning What then is the real case under discussion? it is this, Israel has so earnestly desired. The election or chosen ones only have obtained it. The rest have been blinded (v 7).
12th O. T. prophecy fulfilled in Rom. (11:8; Isa. 29:10). Next v 9. The very word of God that should have awakened them has blinded them. God is not to blame, Israel is (Rom. 9:12-18).

Rom. 11:9 And David saith, Let their table be made a snare, and a trap and a stumbling block, and a recompence unto them:
Rom. 11:10 Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see, and bow down their back alway.
Meaning 13th O. T. prophecy fulfilled in Rom. (11:9, 10; Ps. 69:22, 23; Their table--there providential blessings become a snare, a trap, a stumbling block, and a means of punishment.

Israel provoked to jealousy

Rom. 11:11 I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealously.
Meaning Have the Jews stumbled to complete and eternal ruin? God forbid. Their ruin is only temporary. In the meantime the Gentiles will take their place to provoke them to jealously (v 11; 10:19; Dt.32:21). The fall of the Jews was not in itself the reason for the salvation of the Gentiles. They were to be saved whether the Jews accepted or rejected the gospel (Gen. 12:1-3; Rom. 4: Gal. 6:8-10). The unbelief of Israel could never give faith to the Gentiles. The rejection of Christ by the Jews only accelerated the salvation of the Gentiles (Acts 13:46-48; 28:28).

Gr. ptaion, to make a false step or mistake; to fail. Trans. stumble (Rom. 11:11); fall (2 Pet. 1:10); and offend (Jas. 2:10; 3:2).

Gr. pipto, to fall down or out, meaning to be slain, or to lose one's favor or grace. this proves that Israel, by offending or by failing lost the grace or favor of God. The word fall is used in this sense in many scriptures (Lk. 8:13; Acts 1:25; Rom. 11:11, 12, 22; 1 Cor. 10:12; Gal. 5:4; 1 Tim. 3:7; 6:9; Heb. 4:11; 6:4-6; 2 Pet. 1:10; 3:17; Jude 24; Rev. 2:5).

Gr. paraptoma, a falling aside, when one should have stood upright; a moral fall; a fall from the truth and grace. Tran. fall (v 11, 12) fault (Gal. 6:1; Jas. 5:16); offence (Rom. 4:25; 5:15-20); trespass (Mt. 6:14, 15; 18:35; Mk. 11:25, 26; 2 Cor. 5:19; Eph. 2:1; Col. 2:13) and sin (Eph. 1:7, 2-5; Col. 2:13).

The salvation and blessing of Gentiles will be the means of provoking Jews seek and claim again their blessings.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

Rom. 11:7 What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for, but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blind
Rom11:8 (According as it is written. God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear), unto this day.
Meaning What then is the real case under discussion? it is this, Israel has so earnestly desired. The election or chosen ones only have obtained it. The rest have been blinded (v 7).
12th O. T. prophecy fulfilled in Rom. (11:8; Isa. 29:10). Next v 9. The very word of God that should have awakened them has blinded them. God is not to blame, Israel is (Rom. 9:12-18).

Rom. 11:9 And David saith, Let their table be made a snare, and a trap and a stumbling block, and a recompence unto them:
Rom. 11:10 Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see, and bow down their back alway.
Meaning 13th O. T. prophecy fulfilled in Rom. (11:9, 10; Ps. 69:22, 23; Their table--there providential blessings become a snare, a trap, a stumbling block, and a means of punishment.

Rom. 11:11 I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealously.
Meaning Have the Jews stumbled to complete and eternal ruin? God forbid. Their ruin is only temporary. In the meantime the Gentiles will take their place to provoke them to jealously (v 11; 10:19; Dt.32:21). The fall of the Jews was not in itself the reason for the salvation of the Gentiles. They were to be saved whether the Jews accepted or rejected the gospel (Gen. 12:1-3; Rom. 4: Gal. 6:8-10). The unbelief of Israel could never give faith to the Gentiles. The rejection of Christ by the Jews only accelerated the salvation of the Gentiles (Acts 13:46-48; 28:28).

Gr. ptaion, to make a false step or mistake; to fail. Trans. stumble (Rom. 11:11); fall (2 Pet. 1:10); and offend (Jas. 2:10; 3:2).

Gr. pipto, to fall down or out, meaning to be slain, or to lose one's favor or grace. this proves that Israel, by offending or by failing lost the grace or favor of God. The word fall is used in this sense in many scriptures (Lk. 8:13; Acts 1:25; Rom. 11:11, 12, 22; 1 Cor. 10:12; Gal. 5:4; 1 Tim. 3:7; 6:9; Heb. 4:11; 6:4-6; 2 Pet. 1:10; 3:17; Jude 24; Rev. 2:5).

Gr. paraptoma, a falling aside, when one should have stood upright; a moral fall; a fall from the truth and grace. Tran. fall (v 11, 12) fault (Gal. 6:1; Jas. 5:16); offence (Rom. 4:25; 5:15-20); trespass (Mt. 6:14, 15; 18:35; Mk. 11:25, 26; 2 Cor. 5:19; Eph. 2:1; Col. 2:13) and sin (Eph. 1:7, 2-5; Col. 2:13).

The salvation and blessing of Gentiles will be the means of provoking Jews seek and claim again their blessings.
You keep saying it was O. T. prophecy. Would this also mean that since it was foreknown, then it had always been God's planned way to bring salvation to the Gentiles?

BanjoPicker

Israel provoked to jealousy

Rom. 11:12 Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness?
Meaning If in consequence of their rebellion, the riches of God's grace have to come to the Gentile world, How much more will the world be blessed when Israel comes to her fullness of blessing again.

Rom. 11:13 For I speak to you Gentiles inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office:
Rom. 11:14 If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them.
Meaning Same word trans, jealousy in v 11. If I might by some means provoke some Jews to seek their share of the gospel.

Rom. 11:15 For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be but life from the dead?
Meaning If the rejection of Israel and the turning to the Gentiles caused all the world to have immediate opportunity of being saved, how much more will many in the world be blessed when the whole nation of Israel is saved in a day (v 15, 25-29; Isa. 66:7, 8; Zech. 12:10-13:1; 14:1-5, 14, 16-210).

Rom. 11:16 For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy so are the branches.
Meaning The firstfruit refers to the Jews blessed in the gospel and the lump to the whole nation that will be blessed and become holy in the end (v 16, 25-29; Isa. 66:7, 8; Zech. 12:10-13:1; 14:1-21). The words, root and fatness of the olive tree, refer to Christ and God's blessings of the Abrahamic and new covenant. The branches are the Israelites, like true Christians are the branches in the vine of Jn. 15:1-8).

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

As it is written: "The deliverer will come from Zion; he will turn godlessness away from Jacob." And this is My covenant with them when I take away their sins.”
Paul tells us;
"as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs, For God’s gifts and His call are irrevocable.

The mystery of "Israel's blindness" in Romans 11.

Isaiah 14:1
For the LORD will have compassion on Jacob and choose Israel once again. He will settle them on their own land. The foreigner will join them and be united with the house of Jacob.

Ephesians 2:19
Therefore you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens of the saints and members of God's household,

Something happened to allow these foreigners and strangers in.

Paul tells us;
"as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs, For God’s gifts and His call are irrevocable.

Romans 11:33
Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out!

Meaning;
"God will have mercy on whom he will have mercy."

Israel

BANNED
It is an odd thing to behold. Seeking entitlement to mercy. God knows, O! does God know! the many ways I have sought to maneuver mercy to myself!

God knows what I have "put up" for exchange, God knows every place I have sought to manipulate to a favorable end for myself (and my own) by exchange upon something...even those very things that were/are gifts alone by Him, from Him...but thinking they were now "mine" as place to stand for appeal. For some sort of exchange.

It's almost too funny to bear in embarrassment "Lord, I am yours...therefore" "Lord, I have been (or done, or practiced, or sought diligently, or endured)...therefore...!

When all is boiled down to "Lord, how do I get this mercy to work for me?"

How do "I get"?

O! but it would be so wonderful to have...on demand! Who wrote the latest book on "How To Pray for Results"!

I have little doubt some or many think themselves not like me at all. Of course that's perfect! I've not thought myself "like them" either! Trying to wrench/wrest from God a thing un-wrenchable.

But boy, that didn't stop me! I am clever. I am smart. I am master at appearing one way to the end of getting my due.

The only thing is and was...I have never met anyone like Him.
Steadfast. Immovable. Immune to flattery. Immune to any advances I might seek to make through appearance of pity for Him (doesn't everyone like appeal to their victimhood? Yikes! But it's like candy to a baby)

Or so I thought.

Huh?

Oh.

Looks like I have never met a "real" person...ever. (Even and especially the one whose skin I inhabit)

And even everyone (from wife, to children, to brothers and sisters) I have never really believed..."quite" as real...as me. Important "to me"...no doubt. Useful to me...no doubt. Even seen as some necessity to me...no doubt. Even worthy of some "sacrifice" by me...well that's how "I showed" their importance...to me!

But real..."like me"...well...who is kidding whom? These are at best...the people...that people..."my world".

Slap!

And slap again.

As often as necessary.

Someone is in dire need of maneuvering/manipulating/handling to a desired end. And it sure ain't God.

Last edited:

BanjoPicker

Warning to the Gentiles

Rom. 11:17 And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;
Rom. 11:18 Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, there bearest not the root, but the but the root thee.
Rom. 11:19 Thou wilt say then, the branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in.
Rom. 11:20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
Rom. 11:21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.
Meaning Israel is here pictured under figure of branches of an olive tree, and the Gentiles of a wild olive tree, or the oleaster which bears no fruit. Some are broken off because of unbelief and Gentiles take their place to partake of Israel's blessings (v 17).

The Gentiles here are warned not to boast of their being excepted of God in the place of the Jews (v 18, 19), but to fear lest they also fall and not be spared (v 20, 22).

Rom.11:22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shall be cut off.
Meaning This is always the condition of eternal life. If God promises here to cut off those who do not remain in His goodness, then He is obligated to do so (Rom. 2:11).

Rom. 11:23 And they also if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again.
Meaning This is always the condition of renewal in God and in His faith and grace.
Word again The word again means "once more; anew; afresh." "Anything could not be done again if it had not been done before."

7 Things Men Can Do Again
Be revived again (Ps. 85:6)
Return to God again (Jer.3:1; Ez;33:14)
Turn from sin again (Jer. 25:5; Ez. 18:27)
Be graffed into the olive tree (Rom. 11:23)
Be taught again (Heb. 5:12)
Be made over again (Jer. 18:4).
Be born again (Jn. 3:3-7; 1 Pet. 1:3, 23; Gal. 4:19; Jas. 5:19, 20)

7 Things Men Should Not Do Again
Turn from righteousness (Ez. 3:20)
Build sinful things (Gal. 2:18)
Desire to be in bondage (Gal. 4:9)
Be entangled in mosaic law (Gal. 5:1)
Continue sinning (Heb. 6:1)
Turn back to folly (Ps. 85:8)
Be entangled in sin (2 Pet. 2:20-22).

Rom. 11:24 For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: How much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree.
Meaning A fruitless branch grafted to a good tree is contrary to custom.
It being contrary to custom to graft unfruitful branches into a good and fruitful tree, how much more will it be natural to graft branches into their own tree?

Last edited:

BanjoPicker

Future salvation of Israel (Isa.66:7-8; Zech.12:10-13:13)

Rom. 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles be come in.
Meaning Rom.1:13;
6 Things he did not want men to be ignorant of (1:13;11:25; 1 Cor. 10:1; 12:1; 2 Cor. 1:8; 2 Th.4:13).
Mystery, something previously hidden, but now fully revealed. In the N. T. It always means any doctrine that has not, in former times, been made fully known to men. It is found 27 times in the N. T. and not once in the O. T.

BanjoPicker

Rom. 26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written. There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob.
Meaning This refers to the whole nation that will be alive in Palestine when Christ comes Zech. 12:10-13:1; 14:1-15; Mt. 24:39; Isa. 66:7, 8. It is at that time that all the rest of Israel will be gathered Isa. 11:11-2; 66:19-21; Mt. 24:31. Also quoted from Isa. 27:9; 59:20, 21.
Rom. 27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

Rom. 28 As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the Fathers' sakes.
Meaning They are enemies of the gospel, but beloved for the fathers' sakes. They have been chosen of God to fulfill His plan and they will yet do so. The gifts and callings of God to Israelites still hold good, but they must first come to repentance and fulfill righteousness before being blessed.

Rom. 29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.
Meaning This not only applies to the gifts and callings of Israel, but to any individual whom God calls or gives a gift to. God does not change His mind as if He made a mistake. Men may fail Him so that He cannot fulfill such callings with them, but when, if ever, they come back to repentance God holds them to the original obligation to obey Him.

BanjoPicker

Rom. 30 For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief:
Rom. 31 Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy.
Meaning These two verses (30, 31) say that as surely as the Jews were once in the kingdom and the Gentiles were not; as surely as the Gentiles are now in the kingdom and the Jews are not; so surely the Jews will be brought back to God and into the kingdom again (Zech. 12:10-13:1).

Rom. 32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.
This verse concludes the same as 3:19, 20, 23; Gal. 3:22, 23.

BanjoPicker

The greatness of God

Rom. 11:33 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God how unsearchable are his judgments , and his ways past find out!
Rom. 11:34 for who hath known the mind of the Lord? Or who hath been his counsellor?
Rom. 11:35 Or who hath first given to hm, and it shall be recompensed unto him again?
Meaning Gr. antapodidomi, repay. Here; 12:17; Lk. 14:14; 1 Th. 3:9; 2 Th. 1:6; Heb. 10:30. God pays His debts to His creatures.

Rom. 11:36 For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to be glory for ever. Amen.