Dog Food

Grover Willis

They are actually gaining weight with the 3 1/4 cup <recommended>! I am going to cut back to 3 and see if they level out.

Nate23

No, No, 12gamag, One word---- BLACKWOOD------ 2000 Performance & Large breed puppy.
Dogs are like people, the body of one might require more protein, vitamins, calories, fat .ect than another. Calories in dog food play a very important role in energy & stamina.

BOB

I have fed my lab Blackwoods 2000 since he was a puppy and I have had no problems with it. Jackson has plenty of energy and a beautiful coat. I would recommend it to anyone.

Nate

DSCF1278-2.jpg

IMGP0193.jpg

southern_pride

If money is not an option. These are the 3 best dog foods bar none. But at anywhere from 65.00 for 33 lbs and up, most people wouldn't feed these.
We used timberwolf on our main stud Blade(the one in my avatar)for awhile, and the results were unbelievable. Hardly any stool, super sleek coat, no doggie breath, and so on and so on.
Evo makes a puppy food that makes the fatest healthiest pups I've seen.
So if you want results you can see, and don't mind spending the money, try one of them out.

www.timberwolforganics.com/pet-foods
www.canidae.com
www.evodog.com/products/

T-Bone

Who around Commerce sells Black Gold? Anyone know? Online closest place I found was Gainesville and with fuel the way it is I would have $100 in a bag! :)

DukTruk

I feed Eukanuba Sporting Performance. I switched from Arkat to this and have never looked back. I would not believe the "Dogfoodanalysis" site. It seems to be weighted to the "holistic" foods.

As a general rule, the average cost to feed one dog is $ 1 per day (if you are feeding correct amounts and buying a high quality food). The better quality food that you feed, the less food you will have to feed your dog to maintain a healthy weight. Also, the dog will generate less waste.

GREAT chart that was posted earlier. Never seen that before. Great info, thanks!!

24tesla

No, No, 12gamag, One word---- BLACKWOOD------ 2000 Performance & Large breed puppy.
Dogs are like people, the body of one might require more protein, vitamins, calories, fat .ect than another. Calories in dog food play a very important role in energy & stamina.

BOB
Gotta poke this thing a little more..... ::ke:

Same here. Blackwood. I dont pay much more for it than I would for the high end Purina. I use the 5000 (Catfish and Potato). I work with a Rescue group and wife works for the same ladies low cost spay and neuter clinic. She sells it and I have seen too many with skin conditions, hair loss, itching, etc... and this stuff fixed all those issues. It is cooked slower so it retains the nutrient, and is full of added vitamins and minerals. Dogs have healthier skin, shinier coats, and are a lot healthier in general. They also eat much less of it than the cheaper stuff, and are not always hungry as they were on the cheaper stuff. It has been found that the better food help the animal live longer, and have less issues like Kidney failure or liver cancer, etc.....
Everyone has opinions on dog food and what is good and what is not, but the rules and regulations governing the production of such food are lax. I used dogfoodanalysis.com as well and they dont rank Blackwood as high as some of the others like Solid Gold or Wellness, but I will say the results in my personal dogs are as good if not better with the Blackwood than they were with the others. Other things you have to be careful of is talking to the reps from a company, of course they will tell you all the stuff to make theirs sound so great, or better than the others.
For those worried about expense, consider this, I was using a 50lb bag of Purina One or Pro every week and a half. If you use it you know what I was paying. I now use the Blackwood and pay 5 to 10 dollars more a bag for a 40 lb bag and that last me 3 weeks on the dot. So I am coming out cheaper using the better food. Plus the poop does not reek as bad, and the dogs dont smell like dogs NEAR as bad as they used to.
I am no expert, and can only tell you what I have experienced. I have also gotten my Mom to convert and her lap muts have seen the same success. Fur feels like silk, they dont need to go to the groomer as often for a bath as they dont stink so quick. Only drawback has been if one poops in the house they may not know it for several days if it is not in the open, cause it dont smell like it used to.
Just my 2 cents worth.........

bad mojo

I Have Feed Purina All My Life Til I Started My New Pup On Black Gold And Since Have Changed All My Dogs To Blackgold My 9 Yr Old Pup Trainer Coondog And My 14 Yr Old Pit Bull Are As Picky As Can Be About Food But They Love It As For My Treeing Walker Pup He Is 6 1/2 Months Old And Has 95 Points Towards His Show Champion Title And Will Show Tomorrow If He Places He Will Of Made Show Champion In 4 Weeks . See Pics 12gamag Knows This Pup And He Is A Hoss. See Pics At 8 Weeks And 6 1/2 Mths This Made A Beliver Out Of Me Good Solid Stool Shiney Coat Full Of Energy

Attachments

• HPIM0173.jpg
    HPIM0173.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 145
  • DSCF1413.jpg
    DSCF1413.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 146

Bird Hunter

Wow, what a firestorm of response!

Obviously, dog food choice is a personal decision. But, here is my experience:

I have 7 adult hunting dogs (setters, Britts and pointers) and I raise 2-3 litters a year. I keep detailed track of my dog food use. For a year I used Purina Dog Chow and Purina Puppy Chow. Then for a year I switched to the much more expensive "Purina One Lamb and Rice." Over the course of a year, with the Purina One I fed much less dog food and spent less money over all. Yes, again, it's a case of you get what you pay for, as others have expressed here. I know it's hard to spend more at the register, but you don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish.

I suspect that other top-shelf brands are just as good, but I stick with Purina for their weight-circle program. I get about $500 a year in Cabela's gift cards from Purina.

Other thingsI notice: with Purina One, the dogs' skin is much healthier (no dandruff-looking flakes); no stool eating; less trouble with weight gain in the off seasonl, etc.

That's my two-cents worth.

Ths dog hunts!!

Hey Wildman,
I've raised 3 on Purina 1, Lamb & rice, They both lived to Be 15 yrs old, They are in the yard now under a dogwood tree w/ headstones!! Their grandson is in the pen , He eats Purina 1 everyday!!

T

tuffdawg

I would love to see a poll on this thread, or another started, just to find how who feeds, Purina, Black-Gold, ol Roy, and something else. Just out of curiousity I would think that would be very interesting.