Dog foods or treatments for itching.

BDD

My Lab is getting old, almost 9. He’s an inside dog and over the last

Few weeks started itching pretty bad, and has a smell to him. I’ve changed

his food about 3 weeks ago to a really good fished based no grain or other

bad stuff. But I haven’t seen any improvement.

He has a vet appointment for the 16th, so maybe they can help.

Any advice from those who experienced this, and what you tried that may

Have worked ? I’ve started giving him Apple cider vinegar gummy’s, but it’s only

Been a few days.

ucfireman

Systemic yeast infection.
Does he have a somewhat sweet smell?
A trip to the vet and some antibiotics (i believe) will clear it up and he should be fine,
Possibly mites if he's is red and shedding. A skin scrape will tell.
Either way a vet visit should help.
Don't try the at home, my neighbor tried this stuff. You will try a bunch of stuff and still not get to the bottom of it. Even if it gets better you still wont know what caused it.

pjciii

Go to the local pharmacy and get some Children's Benadryl and give it to your buddy based on weight.

I tried alot of dog foods on My dogs and what i have found is purina One lamb and brown rice is just best all around.

treemanjohn

Banned
3 Weeks is a bit early to see a change in diet, but it's possible. Victor Yukon River does an incredible job with skin/allergy issues

zedex

Gator Bait
I had a beagle who suffered horribly with itch. He would scratch his back on things and tear it right to the bone.

Come to find it was an allergy to wheat/yeast products. Most dog foods have wheat/yeast products in them. So, I started making him dinners based on what I ate andi got him a prescription for a steroid. Cleared him up real quick.

When I made his meals, I would blend vegetables in with his cut meats and juices. He was happier and healthier, a lot more active. After a month on the steroids, I changed him over a Reactin in pill form and put it in with his food. Last 12 years of his life were trouble free.

Every factory dog food advertisement said stuff like "reduced allergy" or something like that. All failed to live up to the adverts

BDD

Wow , what a difference the diet change made. For the last 4 months he’s been on Blue Wilderness (all most notable scraps)
And his first cup in the mornings I add a raw egg. All his coat grew back and I can’t even describe how nice it is.
No itching , he doesn’t smell or shed. He looks and acts like a much younger dog.
I was thinking, him and I are about the same age, if I change my diet will my hair grow back and I’ll look a lot younger?

bassboy1

Wow , what a difference the diet change made. For the last 4 months he’s been on Blue Wilderness (all most notable scraps)
And his first cup in the mornings I add a raw egg. All his coat grew back and I can’t even describe how nice it is.
No itching , he doesn’t smell or shed. He looks and acts like a much younger dog.
I was thinking, him and I are about the same age, if I change my diet will my hair grow back and I’ll look a lot younger?

Diet change can make a big difference. Wife's dog had skin issues. Vet suggested Blue Buffalo. That didn't help. Another vet suggested try a different brand of grain free. Tried that, no luck there, so the dog stayed on a long term Rx of Apoquel every second day.

Finally, a different vet suggested changing protein. Cleared her right up - dog hasn't had a dose of Apoquel in 3 years. As it turned out, I stuck with chicken flavor each time we swapped food brands. Swapping to salmon was all it took, and we now know to avoid giving her table scraps of chicken.

turtlebug

Keep a check on the ingredients label. If the ingredients start moving around, figure out what they've added more of.

My Siamese started ripping her hair out and scratching like a fool. Vet gave her prednisone and Zyrtec but said we had to figure out where the allergen was coming from. We hadn't changed food, but the food had changed. At the time we were feeding some expensive Natural Balance cat food. I was able to dig around and found other complaints and it seems the company had TRIPLED the amount of Brewer's Yeast they were putting into the cat food. Cats can only tolerate so much yeast and Popsicle apparently developed a wicked allergy to it. We switched over to Cat Chow Naturals Grain Free and haven't had a problem since.

I see a lot of people hate on Purina but we raised many farm animals on Purina as well as dogs and cats and never had animals with health issues like we do now. Losing a cat to cancer right now, we always fed him the best food and he's barely made it 9 years.

ucfireman

Also it may not be food related, Mites and Fleas can cause serious skin issues.
I had a cat that was extremely sensitive to fleas, She would pull her hair out. Tried cortisone for a while and stumbled across Frontline spray by accident (was using it for my dogs) and it cleared her right up.