DR Tow Behind Mower?

TomC

Anybody have experience with the DR Tow Behind Mowers? Hoping to close on a piece of property and was thinking I’d buy a small tractor (I KNOW THIS IS A BETTER CHOICE) but the property I’m looking at is only going to have about 4-5 acres of pasture which is about half of what I figured I'd end up with and I’d probably only cut a handful of times a year. It’s really a matter of finances (paying cash for everything these days) and looking for a decent 3 or 4 year solution to cut the pasture and some trails until I can recover from buying land, building house, yada yada. Even a decent small used older tractor and bush hog will run over $10K and I can pick up the DR tow behind for under $3k and pull it behind an ATV. Any other good ATV tow behinds? Swisher makes one but reviews are mixed, seem a little better on the DR’s. Any input much appreciated!

shdw633

I had a swisher for a couple of years and hated it, just not enough power. I get the finance situation but you are going to get what you paid for in that regard. You can get a good used tractor and bushhog for well under $10k as well and be able to build upon that base should you decide you need it for anything else. I got my Yanmar 26 hp with a bushhog and harrow for under $3500.

killerv

I've owned a swisher for 20 years. I've learned to keep an extra belt on hand and keep a watch for dry stuff that builds up trying to catch fire on the engine.

I couldn't imagine mowing 4-5 acres with one though. I use mine for small 1 acre fields or plots and to make a few passes down our roads.

280bst

I'm with Killery about doing it with a pull behind. Also understand finances might want to look into having somebody cut it for you see what they would charge. Just a thought

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
I owned a BushHog brand pull behind for awhile. At least 5 years. It had a Honda motor. Never had any issues out of it. It was great for 1 acre plots and trails. Controls mounted to the back rack of the 4 wheeler. Wantin to say I gave $1800 for it brand new. Palmer Equipment Co. in Washington, GA.

Rick Alexander

My uncle has a DR brush mower - walk behind. They must make good stuff - his is very old and still going strong. Does the job but man that thing is a yellow jacket magnet. You better be tough to brave an open virgin field with that thing when it's hot. No telling how many snakes have been riled up we never even saw. Tractor for me thank you.

SPED

My in-laws have a guy cut their field 2 times a summer for the hay. If there is another hayfield near by, I bet he would do it for the hay.

transfixer

I've got a Swisher made pull behind trail cutter, its okay, but it ain't a DR , I owned a DR walk behind years ago, had it probably 14/15 yrs , had to do very little to it over the years, I've had to modify a couple things on the swisher to make it good, anti-scalp wheels on the rear of the deck, and washers between the blades and stump jumper, but I only paid $1000 for it almost new, so I'm not complaining, but I wouldn't want to have to cut 4 or 5 acres with it,,,

RGRJN

I have one.... starter went bad, only a few hours on it. I will tell you cutting 5 acres with a 40 inch mower takes a few minutes and I was never happy with the cut. It's not really made to "cut". I see Ford 8n's with 5 and 6 foot bush hogs for under $4000 all the time. But you will sacrifice Cutting trails with that. I use mine for those hard to get places I'm not comfortable putting my tractor in/on.

paulito

We have two walk behind ones here at work and have been happy with them. I will second that they are great at cutting brush. but somewhat lacking when it comes to grass. They get bogged down. Cutting a large area with a walk behind really sucks because that thing will wear you out and i know from experience. If it was pulled behind a 4 wheeler............may not be that bad. I like cruising the field enjoying a frosty one while the mower does the work. ;)