Dragging it out of the woods.

BirdDawg

I have used mt safety harness before as well..............however I do anything I can to get my atv back to where the deer is.

chambers270

Man, I found a killer drag at Wal-Mart that only cost $10. The name is Glenns Deer Handle, it is a nice handle with nylon cord that works great!

I have tried just about everything, I carry the drag in my pack with me so I am ready at anytime. But if it is a big one or long drag I use my Cabelas Deer Hauler. Now that will make you a lazy man.

Chris

Racor

A good rope or strap works well.

I usually field dress them to lighten the load a little. Then start hoofing it out.

j_seph

pass the thru a cut in the back legs. If I am by myself, I just grab it in the middle between the legs and pull. If I have someone with me, they just get on the other side. I have drug many a deer and hog out this way.
Hogguide

Don't you have a problem w/ the front legs hanging up on trees and brush?

Reminds me of a joke I heard
These 2 hunters went into the woods going hunting and came across these other 2 coming out dragging a deer by the hind legs. The 2 dragging told the other 2 that this deer dragging was hard and asked if there was an easier way. The 2 going in told em yea your gragging in the wrong direction. Later on the 2 came by heading the opposite directin still dragging the deer from the back legs

NOYDB

BANNED
Normally I try to shoot mine when they are facing the truck, so if they run a bit, it's to the good.

And I've had some dropped right where I could drive the truck right to them.

The worst was 200 yds into the woods... on the other side of 500yds of flooded soybean field. I shot two deer. I went back to the truck to get a tarp and put the gun away. Then I went in and field dressed them both. Wrapped the first deer in the tarp and carried out on my shoulders. Went back and did the same with the second. Now these were small 80-90lb deer, but high stepping thru that muck plum wore me out. Now that was back when I was younger and much more foolish. Probably have a heart attack if I tried that today.

BOWHUNTER!

this was before i hunted with a safety belt. get a green stick about 10-12 in long run it through the septum on the deer ( prefferably a doe ). Grab and drag. Now that I hunt with a belt, I just use it.

capt stan

Here's my Favorite method . No work involved and you can hunt your way back to the truck!!!!:clap: I was teaching my bud John the "proper" way to float them out!!!:D This is just one of many hogs we floated last year. Makes it real easy boys. But it can be a bit chilly.

089588.jpg

DCarter001

I carry a good sharp knife.
Field dress them and grab the antlers. If they don't have antlers, or if it's a hog, I slip a choke collar around the back legs and hook a 5' dog lead to the choker.

merc123

I generally use my 6 foot 2, 220 pound son. If he ain`t available, I just pull em. I`ve been tempted a time or two to just build a fire, cook em, and eat em there.

You must have hunted Cohutta NF :) With 200+ foot mountain sides it would be a real pain to drag them out. You should just eat it where it dropped.

Auchumpkee Creek Assassin

Gone But Not Forgotten
get a old "ski rope"...........with the built in rubber handle:bounce: ............works like a charm......but the golf cart with the hitch haul works better:rofl: :fine:

devolve

The hunter saftey vest has a built in deer drag. Becuase its a vest/harness system it takes all the weight off your body while dragging. You just feel heavier. Its been used 5 times so far this year. The good thing is when you get to the truck you can un clip it from the vest and use it to pull the deer into the bed of a truck by yourself.

Southbow

I quite dragging deer and hogs about 5 or 6 years ago. I tend to hunt by myself most of the time and usually quite a ways from the road.

I took a tip from the guys out west and started quartering my deer and hogs where they drop. Just roll them on their stomach, split down the back, take out the backstrap on one side, roll them over a little and take just enough skin off to get the hind quarter and shoulder, then repeat for the other side. Cut just behind the last rib, reach in and get the tenderloins and your done.

You can do this in about 30 minutes, put half in one pillow sack, half in another pillow sack, tie a short rope between the two, put it over your shoulder, and head for the truck.

I've boned a couple out to lighten the load and that doesn't take much longer, but I usually don't bother. This is much less work than dragging one out and you'll be at the truck with a quartered animal before you could drag the whole animal out.

Most people think this is complicated, or that you'll get the meat dirty in the process, but once they see it in action, their sold on the method. Try it once and you'll probably quite dragging too.

chris