Dual boat trolling motor?

hopper

I have a small 16ft skiff type boat with 20hp and a 1436 Jon boat for rivers and electric only waters. On the skiff I have a bow mount powerdrive 55# minn kota (no i pilot) on my Jon I had a motorguide bulldog up front that just died.
My question is I would like a new trolling motor with "spot lock"
How easy would it be to use quick disconnect on both boats so I could use the same trolling motor on both boats?

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Minn Kota makes a quick release bracket for taking off your trolling motor. The only issue I could see would be any wiring that's attached to the motor (transducers, etc).

JROESEL

Motorguides xi5 quick connect, takes about a minute to take off, I believe most quick connects are pretty simple and quick, some have a locking mechanism where you can put a lock on the plate, there’s several options out there, once you go with spot lock, you want go back, trust me

RamblinWreck

Yep. I use a MK MKA_53 heavy duty mount, and bought a second mount base for the other boat. For power, I use the Battery Tender brand plug and have a socket wired on both boats. Takes only a minute to swap my 80 lb Terrova iPilot between boats.
Minn Kota mount
Battery Tender plug and socket

oops1

Buzzard Expert
And I'll second the nod towards spot lock. Even with the amazing advancements in sonar imaging in the last 5 years, I think the spot lock is the greatest invention to hit boating in decades.

I can’t say enough good things about spot lock. It is an amazing addition to my boat and has help me catch a ton of fish I wouldn’t have caught otherwise, in both fresh and saltwater.

Ajohnson0587

I have a MotorGuide XI3 55Lb with spot lock, I use it on my kayak and I have a aluminum quick connect mount that MotorGuide make and sells for $90 (might be cheaper), if I wanted to I could buy another mount and use it on my boat. My boat has a Minn Kota Terrova 55Lb with I-Pilot so there isn't a need, but if either unit failed I'd swap between the 2 boats if needed. I could not imagine fishing with out spot lock, well I can because I did in my kayak for a year and a half before I put the MotorGuide on, but I'd never go back.

TKLB

I use the Minn Kota MKA-21 on my Terrova and love it. I would also look at this thing for the power cord...

Power Connector

It is the best connector that I have found, and never had it overheat like the 3 prong plugs I have tried.

Unfortunatly, you would need to buy two of each item.

On the MKA-21 you would need 2 of the outside pieces

On the Power connector you would need 3 halves if that makes sense, each one is 2 pieces, and you would need a total of 3 pieces, one for each boat and one for the Trolling motor. Hope that helps.

hopper

hopper

I have one now and would like to get one to try in build one from scratch. Crazy, huh?
I have family in town now but if I get it back together and it's not running I will let you know when it on the curb.