Dunstan chestnut ?

reds

i have several chestnut trees I planted 9 years ago, They produced pretty good this year, just a few last year. About half of the burs opened while on the tree and released the nuts. The other half of the burs fell before opening with the nuts still enclosed. Is this normal for chestnut trees?

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
i have several chestnut trees I planted 9 years ago, They produced pretty good this year, just a few last year. About half of the burs opened while on the tree and released the nuts. The other half of the burs fell before opening with the nuts still enclosed. Is this normal for chestnut trees?
Probably due to dry weather. Some of the ones on my trees dropped without opening. I opened them up to discover that the nuts were not fully developed. I will say the ones the deer can get to don’t lay for long.

reds

Probably due to dry weather. Some of the ones on my trees dropped without opening. I opened them up to discover that the nuts were not fully developed. I will say the ones the deer can get to don’t lay for long.
I wondered if it was dry weather. I had no rain for almost 6 weeks when they dropped. All of my sawtooth and dwarf chinkapins have dropped as well.