Durana Clover

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Take a picture and post it and we will take a look at how much "residue" you have laying on top of your soil before making a decision, but my guess would be to just broadcast over top and call it a day.

davel

Hardly any residue. Can still see a good bit of soil. Lots of bare spots where the coverage was poor.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Durana will come back .... red clover has a longer root than Durana, so it should too and chicory has a longer root than red clover. But if your chicory is brown right now, it might be gone. Any pictures?

I will just add, that under all the "conditions" we are experiencing now, letting your clover go to seed and not mowing, just adds more clover seed to your soil. When cool weather comes along with rain, most of you old clover will come back, along with the seed it dropped earlier in the year.

I no mow no mo .... and you can check out the reasons why, starting at around 15:40

https://www.podbean.com/media/share..._share_ep&utm_medium=dlink&utm_source=w_share

Red clover root

View attachment 1160556

This is correct^^^^^^^^^

Canuck5

Well, still let's get some pictures in August, but start looking for Durana clover, red clover, I'd also add some crimson clover to that mix and then we can decide the number of pounds you need.

How many acres do you have?

roscoe54

Sorry I really didn't mean to hijack this thread. Hoping my experience can help others. One question...when I overseed in the fall should I use an aerator or something before seeding for soil contact? Thanks.
Your not hijacking this thread Iam learning too

Canuck5

davel

Well, still let's get some pictures in August, but start looking for Durana clover, red clover, I'd also add some crimson clover to that mix and then we can decide the number of pounds you need.

How many acres do you have?
I will get some pics. It is only an acre plot but I cleared 2.5 acres in another area that I am going to plant with this same mix. I've planted for years and this mix is the best I've ever had. I planted durana, red clover, chicory, and buck forage oats.

davel

This
Then you will have to preform the pure live seed calculation.

https://fwf.tennessee.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/24/2020/07/Calculating-Proper-Seedling-Rate.pdf

But, start looking for fertilizer too. I usually buy 8-24-24 and last year it was $18/bag and this year it is $28/bag, as of today. Hopefully it goes down, but getting the right P&K in your soil is important.
This is important. I don't think I ever put enough seed down. I follow recommendations but I always say I should have put more seed out after it comes up!

Canuck5

Yeah, it is and when you do a calculation on 5 pounds of Durana seed, with the coating, you really are only putting down 2.5 pounds of pure live seed per acre, which might be perfect with the right set of equipment, soil type, ph, etc., ....... but I don't live in that environment, LOL

Canuck5

And broadcasting ...... you always need to add more seed

davel

This!
And broadcasting ...... you always need to add more seed
This! Exactly! I honestly think I have been putting down half of what I should. My wife says I sound like a broken record but my dumb self still does the recommended amount. Ha!

Ihunt

This

This is important. I don't think I ever put enough seed down. I follow recommendations but I always say I should have put more seed out after it comes up!

I always add at least 50% more seed. If your clover comes in too thick, doubtful, it will correct itself. Very few of us on here can plant good enough to get by with planting the exact amount of recommended seed and get a great stand.

I seriously doubt anyone has a pretty stand of Durana clover right now. You should be very surprised what happens with your plot this fall.

TomC

Is there anyway to effectively overseed an existing clover plot in the fall that is already in pretty good shape or is it better to just wait and frost seed in late winter.

davidhelmly

Is there anyway to effectively overseed an existing clover plot in the fall that is already in pretty good shape or is it better to just wait and frost seed in late winter.
For sure, I do it at least every other year. If you have a no till or minimal till drill just plant thru your existing plot in late Sept/early Oct, preferably with moisture in the ground and rain in the forecast. If you don’t have the appropriate equipment just overseed by hand using a shoulder bag spreader.
You can keep a clover plot going almost indefinitely doing this if you can keep the weeds at bay.

TomC

For sure, I do it at least every other year. If you have a no till or minimal till drill just plant thru your existing plot in late Sept/early Oct, preferably with moisture in the ground and rain in the forecast. If you don’t have the appropriate equipment just overseed by hand using a shoulder bag spreader.
You can keep a clover plot going almost indefinitely doing this if you can keep the weeds at bay.

Thanks but no access to a no till drill. Clethodim and 24DB have done their job just need to thicken it up a bit. I've had really good luck frost seeding clover the past couple years and will continue to do so in late winter. I was wondering if I'd be totally wasting my $ by just broadcasting clover seed in the fall into an exiting plot without doing anything else to the ground. Guess I'll give it a try in addition to frost seeding.

CarolinaDawg

Thanks but no access to a no till drill. Clethodim and 24DB have done their job just need to thicken it up a bit. I've had really good luck frost seeding clover the past couple years and will continue to do so in late winter. I was wondering if I'd be totally wasting my $ by just broadcasting clover seed in the fall into an exiting plot without doing anything else to the ground. Guess I'll give it a try in addition to frost seeding.
Small seeds like clover are perfect for broadcasting. Just be sure to do it right before it rains.

You will be just fine doing that. Do it right before a good steady rain add you some fertilizer. Clover only requires a 1/4 inch seed depth and most likely the rain will do it for you. After that you could mow your clover after the seeding for alittle cover until the seed jumps starts