Durana Clover

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Fall is the best time to overseed your plot. Why? Because it will give the young clover a chance to develope good roots, to handle the next summers heat. Maybe an extra 4 months of growing vs frost seeding. The same reason that planting a clover plot in the fall is best.

Canuck5

One of my old Durana plots that I did nothing too, but let the clover go to seed, where it stood. This picture was taken on 11/10/18 and you can see that Mother Nature has helped me fill in some thin spots

Durana 11-10-18-1.jpg

WishboneW

I mow end of August first part of September. End of September first part of October use a 5 foot harrow with 2 rows of disks which I set straight. I then cut lines in the plots and spread seed with a hand spreader. Has worked well. Oh yes wait for rain. Great time to fertilize with 8 24 24 as well

treemanjohn

Banned
This

This is important. I don't think I ever put enough seed down. I follow recommendations but I always say I should have put more seed out after it comes up!
If you buy a 25lb bag only half of that bag is seed. Plant 10 to 12 lbs per acre if you want it to come up right. The only prep I do is hit it with a landscape rake to scratch the surface. It will rain in perfectly. That method had never failed me.

Once it comes up mow it every couple of weeks

davel

Checked out my plot yesterday and the clover is looking better and the chickory is green. Starting to get a lot of grass coming back though. Can I spray the grass again with clethodim or should I wait for fall and cooler temps? Don't want the grass to take over but don't want to stress the clover and chickory more than the heat and drought already has.
Thanks!

Canuck5

For clover you're not supposed to spray more than 16 ounces/acre/season.

If you want to spray, I would spray when there is lots of moisture in the ground and cool temperatures in the morning.

Canuck5

1657622675573.jpeg

davel

Ok Canuck5...need a mix ratio for 2.5 acres and an overseed ratio for my current 1 acre durana/red clover/chicory plot.
In the new 2.5 acre plot I want to do a mix of Durana/red clover/chicory and either wheat or oats...what else should I put down? The current 1 acre plot I will overseed with what I had just need the ratio's.
Thanks!!!

Canuck5

In your 2.5 acre new plot, I would go "Perennial Clover and Chicory Combo" and add maybe 5 pounds per acre of crimson clover. Crimson will get out of the ground quicker and help shade out any new weeds and feed a few deer in the fall.

If you wanted to tweak things some more, you could an arrowleaf clover, maybe at the rate of 5 pounds per acre.

Proudction of cool season crops.JPG

Cool season seed.JPG

Remember to calculate the pure live seed.

https://fwf.tennessee.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/24/2020/07/Calculating-Proper-Seedling-Rate.pdf

Just remember with chicory in your plot, it does limit the herbicides you can use.

As far as over seeding your current 1 acre plot. Maybe 2 pounds of Durana, 5 pounds of Red, 1 pound of chicory ..... and I'd still add maybe 3 pounds of crimson in there.

I think you posted a picture of your plot somewhere, but I don't remember what it looked like. If you let your clover drop seed, this year, you do have some seed there just waiting for the cool fall weather and rains.

davel

In your 2.5 acre new plot, I would go "Perennial Clover and Chicory Combo" and add maybe 5 pounds per acre of crimson clover. Crimson will get out of the ground quicker and help shade out any new weeds and feed a few deer in the fall.

If you wanted to tweak things some more, you could an arrowleaf clover, maybe at the rate of 5 pounds per acre.

View attachment 1163753

View attachment 1163752

Remember to calculate the pure live seed.

https://fwf.tennessee.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/24/2020/07/Calculating-Proper-Seedling-Rate.pdf

Just remember with chicory in your plot, it does limit the herbicides you can use.

As far as over seeding your current 1 acre plot. Maybe 2 pounds of Durana, 5 pounds of Red, 1 pound of chicory ..... and I'd still add maybe 3 pounds of crimson in there.

I think you posted a picture of your plot somewhere, but I don't remember what it looked like. If you let your clover drop seed, this year, you do have some seed there just waiting for the cool fall weather and rains.
Thank you! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it! I didn't take a pic yet but will try in the next couple of days. The clover is blooming again with the rain and I have not had to mow it. I will have to spray the bahia though. I asked UGA and they said it would be fine using a grass selective herbicide. He did say to use something other than clethodim just to reduce the chance of creating resistance. Sethoxydim is expensive though and I wish there was another alternative.

davel

I'm probably going to go ahead and start buying everything. I'm worried about waiting to buy it in late August when everyone else is. Has anyone had any issues getting Durana or any other clovers?
I got a free bag of Whitetail Institute clover that I'm going to throw in the mix as well. Can't hurt.

Canuck5

I think it is good to shop early. I am finding some clovers not available, for whatever reason, this year.

davel

How many oz of sethoxydim per acre for grass in durana/clover plot?
Also, what about glysophate for my new plot?
Thanks.