Earless hog, never seen it... Common?

Buford_Dawg

Getting trailcams pics of a earless hog, believe it to be a boar, but not 100% sure. Big hog.. What would cause that?

sghoghunter

I’ve heard of people doing what Nic said but never seen it done. However I have saw real catchy/gritty dogs catch a hog and stay caught to long and ears be tore up so bad that they won’t heal up and they just rot and fall off.

HavocLover

Excuse my ignorance, but I gotta ask. Why would anyone want to make a “dog killer” by cutting their ears off and releasing them? Just seems like an awfully vindictive thing to do to the next guy and do it intentionally. If the get torn up bad and rot off, then that’s totally understandable.

cracker4112

Never heard of the dog killer thing, but many folks cut off their ears or tail to mark them after they have been caught and castrated. So you are able to id a barr hog in the field.

That said I’ve seen them with both ears mostly missing from being dog caught and have seen a couple with no ears, and one without any ear holes at all. Have a mount of one with only one ear, that seems to have been born that way.

We kill many (100s) pigs every year down here and I’d call it rare.

sghoghunter

Never heard of the dog killer thing, but many folks cut off their ears or tail to mark them after they have been caught and castrated. So you are able to id a barr hog in the field.

That said I’ve seen them with both ears mostly missing from being dog caught and have seen a couple with no ears, and one without any ear holes at all. Have a mount of one with only one ear, that seems to have been born that way.

We kill many (100s) pigs every year down here and I’d call it rare.

I’ve heard some Fl guy’s saying they’ll cut the tails off barr’s just so when it’s caught someone can’t grab the tail. I really don’t see it cause I never even thought about grabbing a tail cause I have seen them pull off before,I’m leg only

Gator89

I have not seen an "earless barr", but I have seen castrated hogs with ear marks from folks turning them loose to fatten up after their surgery.

It used to be quite common in FL.

cracker4112

Still fairly common to mark them down here, except that the overall attitude towards pigs seems to have changed in that most folks are looking to eradicate them. Castrating and letting them go is more rare than back when they weren’t such a problem (80s-90s). Less cutting and releasing. More killin

longrangedog

I trapped hogs for the last 5 years and spent phone time trying to find folks to take them who would eat them. Word got around and I got a call from a guy who used bird dog/ bulldog crosses to catch hogs. They wanted to use young dogs to catch hogs in my trap. Next batch I caught they came and got in the trap (a 6 panel corral trap) with 3 dogs and proceeded to catch and tie six 85-100 lb. pigs. One got loose from the dogs several times and the ear the dogs had used to grab came off.

sghoghunter

A) Created a dog killer
B) Catch dog(s) chewed ears up. Released.

Barrs are marked via knife slits on ears.
Different folks make different marks on one or both ears. View attachment 1258674

We get quite a few of them marked boars on our lease. Couple months ago I shot the first marked Barr hog

Attachments

• IMG_0673.png
    IMG_0673.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0670.png
    IMG_0670.png
    981.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0672.png
    IMG_0672.png
    711.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0671.png
    IMG_0671.png
    571.6 KB · Views: 20

Gator89

@4HAND

Do you remember back when the timber companies sold "hog claims" on their land in Dixie County?

They also leased the grazing rights. I always got a chuckle when the hounds run a cow past me when we were deer/hog hunting up their back in the 70's and early 80's.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
@Gator89, Yes sir. My uncle had a hog claim. I used to love helping him run his pens in the summers.

DynamicDennis

I about got into a good scuffle running dogs, a guy I took cut an ear off a boar. He said he wanted it to be a dog killer, idiot only had crap dogs all the time cause he couldn't get them to work for him. He did not get invited after that, and made for a long trip home. Caught a jumbo barr on some primo private property, almost 4in of fat teeth. I would have taken his head, but some yahoo cut his ears off. Sold it for $450 live