Eels in Little Tennessee River

Doug B.

One species, as far as I know. The "biddies" are called elvers, I think and they are kinda clear looking.

Up to a foot long, they are a prized Striper bait.

I have personally seen them nearly black in tannic water, and yellow to green in clearer or muddy water.

In the Satilla River, they are dark and up to a couple feet or so.

In the Altamaha, they are yellow/green, and can grow to about four feet.
This one was not clear. It was kinda green with a red throat. The water is crystal clear as is all the water here in the mountains unless after a hard rain. It is so clear that in this particular creek, four feet deep looks like two feet deep until you step in it!

Doug B.

It was a lamprey
Thanks! I think you are right! It's funny that I have lived here in this county, wading this same creek, wading other creeks close by, and I've never seen or knew of this critters existence. There is also a lizard that is in these same waters that most people have never seen. We call it a water dog. It is a large lizard with a very rounded head. I have seen a few of these critters, but never this lamprey!!!!!

Doug B.

If that creek is not trout waters, you could try a minnow trap to catch some and see if they swim in it

Or use a seine better yet
It is trout waters. All streams here in the mountains are trout waters I think.

I'm sure this one is though.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Thanks! I think you are right! It's funny that I have lived here in this county, wading this same creek, wading other creeks close by, and I've never seen or knew of this critters existence. There is also a lizard that is in these same waters that most people have never seen. We call it a water dog. It is a large lizard with a very rounded head. I have seen a few of these critters, but never this lamprey!!!!!
Hellbender?

I love those things. I been known to spare a trout from my stringer

lampern

I've only caught lampreys with a dipnet or seine a few times.

Most of em are in trout waters it seems where you can't legally collect them

Doug B.

Hellbender?

I love those things. I been known to spare a trout from my stringer
They are actually pretty cool. I haven't seen one in several years. Actually, the only ones I have seen (maybe four or five) have been in Betty's Creek which runs under 441 just as you get in to Dillard. It actually runs into the Little Tennessee River about a half a mile from where it runs under 441. I'm sure they are all in the Little Tennessee River system, but for some reason Betty's Creek is the only place I have personally seen them.

Doug B.

I've only caught lampreys with a dipnet or seine a few times.

Most of em are in trout waters it seems where you can't legally collect them
I scooped this one up with my hand but I didn't leave it out of the water long. I didn't want to stress it or anything. I was actually tickled to get to see it!

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
They are actually pretty cool. I haven't seen one in several years. Actually, the only ones I have seen (maybe four or five) have been in Betty's Creek which runs under 441 just as you get in to Dillard. It actually runs into the Little Tennessee River about a half a mile from where it runs under 441. I'm sure they are all in the Little Tennessee River system, but for some reason Betty's Creek is the only place I have personally seen them.

They get pretty big

Doug B.

Do you see or catch any smallmouth bass in that part of the Little Tennessee in Georgia?
I have never seen a smallmouth anywhere in Rabun County. I have caught one or two in Lake Hartwell, but never here. There may be some here somewhere but I have never even heard of anyone catching one here. I have caught them in N.C. in the Nantahala River system.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The Little Tennessee River something or other people say there are American Eels in that water system.
They're wrong. There are no eels in the Little T, at least not in western NC. Maybe in the lower reaches 200 miles downstream in TN. There is no path to the ocean without passing 50 dams. I've lived near it and fished it all my life. An eel ain't gonna climb that 496' high Fontana dam, sorry.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks! I learn something new every day! Course, everytime I talk to you I learn something new! I would love to get with you sometime and continue the conversation you and I had on Coleman River about the Cherokee. Maybe we can share a campfire sometime and have some serious discussion around some firewater!!!
Any time.

Doug B.

I scooped this one up with my hand but I didn't leave it out of the water long. I didn't want to stress it or anything. I was actually tickled to get to see it!
And I watched it swim off so it was still in good shape. I keep looking now when I go check my beaver traps, hoping I will see another one. So far, no luck. But I did see one at least one time!!!!!