End of a 7 year itch!

1776Flintlock

Seven years!

2009 was the last time I got a Tom up here so for 2016 I decided to go back to Georgia and use my GA Lifetime Sportsman's License. I hunted near my old lease down north of Dublin, GA.

Sunday rain when i arrived. Out Monday for the 1st day of the 3 days I could have for this trip.

Heavy fog. No Toms calling. Only one hen 300 yards away in an open field. Did some gunnin' and running to different spots all to no avail.

Tuesday, it had cleared up over night and cooled up. Toms were hammering away! Tried to close the gap to no avail.

In the afternoon, I set up on an big field. 13 turkey buzzards were flying over head or sunning themselves on the field. After 2 hours out of the corner of my eye I spot a Jake on my left. Then more jakes then two big Toms! They were out 200 yards away. They slowly crossed to the other side of the field into a thin wood line. I had a DSD jake and hen in front of me at 45 yards. They stayed there fir 30 minutes. I gave one yelp on my box call. They looked at my decoys and one of the jakes moved out , then the others. Finally, the Toms came out but moved a bit faster, not too fast but faster than the jakes.

The two Toms have long beards about the same size. They moved in Tandem to within 47 yards of me but they did not separate and their heads were too close together to get a clean shot. Additionally, it was so bright out I could not see the reticle on my Bushnell holo sight.

I took off my camo glove, used my finger in front of the sight to find the reticle with the ½ the reticle showing me where the center dot would be if i could see it. So with this jury rigged approach I waited to see if they would separate. They did, one cleared out and faced towards me just as I believe they both were figuring out when to beat on the decoy.

I took the shot using my Mossberg Ulti Mag 835, 12 gauge 3 ½ blended Hevi shot out of my Indian Creek Choke.

He took a big back flip. I ran out to him and then saw how big this long beard was.

13" beard, 1 ½ spurs, 21 pounds.

I went online, registered the kill online with GA DNR. Off to the Taxidermist, he got the breast meat out for me and will do a Tail/Spurs/Beard mount for me.

So, the 7 year itch to end my Tom Turkey drought is over!

Attachments

• Tim 3.JPG
    Tim 3.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 384
  • Tim 2.JPG
    Tim 2.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 374
  • Tim1.JPG
    Tim1.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 375

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Outstanding Flint. Glad your dry spell is over and in grand style too.:cool:

chefrific

13" beard and inch and a half spurs!!! :hair:
Congrats.

sman

That's a whopper! Congrats!

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Congrats

1776Flintlock

Thanks all. That Mossberg 835 has been dead on 20+ years.

The DSD decoys really sealed the deal I believe. That and patience of watching them for over 40 minutes before the Tom I git came in! I really resisted the devil in my shoulder and held my shot until they closed the distance!

I hope everyone in Johnson County is ok as a tirnado may have touched down there yesterday

1776Flintlock

I have some app on my ipad that will give you free prints. I never used it but after this awesome bird, i tried it. I also opted to purchase 10x14 photos for about $6 each. That is how they support the free stuff, which I understand.

Well, the photos arrived today via UPS in a hard tube.

My wife, not a hunter, was so impressed with the quality of the print she wants it framed!

Too bad i did mot realize she would appreciate that, i could have ordered a full body mount in lieu of the tail/spur/beard mount the taxidermist is doing!

Oh well. Between the mount and the photos I still have a smile and fond memories of that awesome hunt!

:yeah::yeah::yeah: