Everything we need for a godly life.

gordon 2

2 Peter 1:3 His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.

What is or are the way(s) we receive everything we need from God for a godly life?

Madman

John 14: 25 “All this I have spoken while still with you. 26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

gordon 2

John 14: 25 “All this I have spoken while still with you. 26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

This is interesting. I was not expecting this first in a list. Nevertheless, it is there plainly in scripture.

When I read "His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 2 Peter 1:3" I 'm almost tempted to understand that the everything we need for a godly life is to know that we are called by his own glory and goodness. Or in other words the Holy Spirit's testimony of Jesus and the saints was the door and way.

Can instruction from the Holy Spirit be misunderstood by Christians? What might contribute to this if it is the case?

I would think that people who have not received the new heart of the Comforter to begin with in their spiritual life might have a hard time to really catch on. For example Jeremiah can say: "The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?" Such a person would be swimming against much current to get to the will of God." For the Christian with the new heart of Comfort, or the new Christian, on the other hand the swimming would be much easier and with the current. A Christian by definition has a spiritual heart that is cleansed of deceit or cured. Christ has done what man by himself is unable to do. The old heart was not or could not be comprehensible, but the born again heart is. Jeremiah's man is not our man.

So why are there so many interpretations, understandings of what it means to be a Christian in Christianity? Is the Holy Spirit grieved in our communities in some cases so that in spite of our common faith we are or can be of deceived heart as is the problem with Jeremiah's man who is not blessed by the gospel? Do you think it is possible for Christians to think they have renewed minds but who still think they are like Jeremiah's man?

This is getting long winded. Hope you know what I mean?

Last edited:

gordon 2

Good question.......answers will be interesting........

You can volunteer an answer or two.

But I was expecting that the first post would suggest the way we receive everything we need for a godly life was via the bible in that everything is to be measured against scripture, being what we think the Holy Spirit instructs needs to be put through to the bible and it also to be a road map to the godly life. In the bible there is everything we need to be reminded for the godly life.

What do you suggest that I might consider? Ideas, quotes,...? The evangelical function of the Church perhaps? ??? Maintaining a tradition of communion with the Lord via the Eucharist perhaps?

Last edited:

Madman

This is interesting. I was not expecting this first in a list. Nevertheless, it is there plainly in scripture.

Can instruction from the Holy Spirit be misunderstood by Christians? What might contribute to this if it is the case?
It can and is most defiantly misunderstood. That is the purpose of the Church, it has held 2000+ years of instruction and interpretation in it's archives.

"I would think that people who have not received the new heart of the Comforter to begin with in their spiritual life might have a hard time to really catch on. For example Jeremiah can say: "The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?" Such a person would be swimming against much current to get to the will of God." For the Christian with the new heart of Comfort, or the new Christian, on the other hand the swimming would be much easier and with the current. A Christian by definition has a spiritual heart that is cleansed of deceit or cured. Christ has done what man by himself is unable to do. The old heart was not or could not be comprehensible, but the born again heart is. Jeremiah's man is not our man.
Sanctification is a difficult process but it is one that the Christian is called to.

"So why are there so many interpretations, understandings of what it means to be a Christian in Christianity? Is the Holy Spirit grieved in our communities in some cases so that in spite of our common faith we are or can be of deceived heart as is the problem with Jeremiah's man who is not blessed by the gospel? Do you think it is possible for Christians to think they have renewed minds but who still think they are like Jeremiah's man?

This was touched on in another thread where I brought up the reformation. Sin and pride, and in Luther's case perhaps a little mental instability, drives men to believe they are the arbiter of all things.

Things tickle the ear and sound good but ultimately are so much chaff.

Last edited:

gordon 2

I now think that StriperAddict's ministry take might be ministry against Jeremiah's man as understood or believed to be still in Christianity by some, that man who's heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure, against our man with a cured and new heart? The deception in our case is that the cured man can be deceived that he isn't.

???

"But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed."

Isaiah seems to look forward to something Jeremiah could not see or say perhaps?

Last edited:

gordon 2

But the arbiter of all things for Luther was scripture's "by faith you are saved" and so scripture eventually became the arbiter. The Holy Spirit instructed via the bible. I think Luther might and said as other reformers would that in the end of it all the bible was the arbiter for it alone revealed and so in the bible or with the bible we have everything we need for a godly life. Maybe??? I think that Luther would agree with you that man is not the arbiter of all things, but that is was the problem with the CC in his day. So his protest ended up with this:

"The five solas state that Christians are saved by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone, as revealed by Scripture alone, to the glory of God alone." And I read this to mean that everything we need for a godly life is revealed by Scripture alone for it reveals what all other solas are. But my interpretation might be in error. It happens with me. What do you think?

Last edited:

Madman

But I was expecting that the first post would suggest the way we receive everything we need for a godly life was via the bible in that everything is to be measured against scripture, being what we think the Holy Spirit instructs needs to be put through to the bible and it also to be a road map to the godly life. In the bible there is everything we need to be reminded for the godly life.
There were centuries without a Bible or even much written text of letters etc., even then the vast majority of text was held in the Church and read to the congregation.

As you know the vast amount of western Christians believe them and their Bible is sufficient, we see where that has lead.

Madman

But the arbiter of all things for Luther was scripture's "by faith you are saved" and so scripture eventually became the arbiter. The Holy Spirit instructed via the bible. I think Luther might and said as other reformers would that in the end of it all the bible was the arbiter for it alone revealed and so in the bible or with the bible we have everything we need for a godly life. Maybe??? I think that Luther would agree with you that man is not the arbiter of all things, but that is was the problem with the CC in his day. So his protest ended up with this:

"The five solas state that Christians are saved by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone, as revealed by Scripture alone, to the glory of God alone." And I read this to mean that everything we need for a godly life is revealed by Scripture alone for it reveals what all other solas are. But my interpretation might be in error. It happens with me. What do you think?
The Holy Spirit also instructs via, the Church, and Sacred Tradition.
The Church agrees that Holy Scripture is the arbiter. 'It is the responsibility of the Church to teach and the Bible to prove.'

I have not seen that everything needed for a Godly is revealed in Scripture, maybe it is, but everything needed for salvation is revealed in Scripture.

In so far as the CC of Luther's day so much was missed and is even pushed out farther today.

The Roman CC never claimed that indulgences got people out of he11 and into heaven, etc.

People should never confuse misguided men with the Church.

Godly life is one thing, salvation is another.

gordon 2

There were centuries without a Bible or even much written text of letters etc., even then the vast majority of text was held in the Church and read to the congregation.

As you know the vast amount of western Christians believe them and their Bible is sufficient, we see where that has lead.

Ok let us not be too heavy handed on the reformers. Have you ever been witness to Catholics who say that they go to church but don't understand much of anything... "I go to mass ( service) but "... " I don't understand." they might say. "Or they might say, "I can't read scripture by myself and understand it, I need someone to explain it to me."

You would think they might say they are receiving towards a godly life, but they say they are not receiving because the don't understand ritual or sacrament or the word as if they never did. They learn by fight or flight mostly.

gordon 2

The Holy Spirit also instructs via, the Church, and Sacred Tradition.
The Church agrees that Holy Scripture is the arbiter. 'It is the responsibility of the Church to teach and the Bible to prove.'

I have not seen that everything needed for a Godly is revealed in Scripture, maybe it is, but everything needed for salvation is revealed in Scripture.

In so far as the CC of Luther's day so much was missed and is even pushed out farther today.

The Roman CC never claimed that indulgences got people out of he11 and into heaven, etc.

People should never confuse misguided men with the Church.

Godly life is one thing, salvation is another.

"People should never confuse misguided men with the Church."

This is correct for everybody, especially those who created 30,000 denominations for certainty of what the Church was not. People are confusing the misguided with the Church or another way of putting it, Church folk are not perfect and are known to repent of their teachings in error which can misguide generations.

I would like to think that God witnesses something in everyone that provides we might not be misguided. It might just be different or a little different for each individual. ( I'm not certain or sure of this.)

Anyway I'm beginning to go toward with the idea that Christians who minister with Jeremiah's man still in attendance and permanently in the congregation, both in the mainline denomination and the reformed ones, that old unrepaired man present, are misguiding the flock in our times as they did in the past and that without the Holy Spirit personally intimate in hard times, the generational hearts will get harder and misguided.

2 Peter 1:3 His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.

That His divine power has given us to know his own glory and goodness might sum up Israel's ministry. :)

Israel? The intermission is over. Break a leg...

Abraham's faith was it from the heart or some other place?

Last edited:

Madman

Ok let us not be too heavy handed on the reformers. Have you ever been witness to Catholics who say that they go to church but don't understand much of anything... "I go to mass ( service) but "... " I don't understand." they might say. "Or they might say, "I can't read scripture by myself and understand it, I need someone to explain it to me."
Maybe you know some but I don't. If it is the case their priest should be embarrassed.
I know many from all denominations who claim to understand but don't.

StriperAddict

Amen, perfect for the discussion.
Yet what often comes after these verses, by legalism and oft from the institutional church, is heavy baggage that trashes the unforced rhythms of grace by the Spirit, the comforter, who is called such by reason of those same verses.

gordon 2

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way..
Good point. I can only conclude that Christians don't all have the same Jesus? Or is there something else? They can't sit long enough to learn from the HS? Just like the Jews did not all have the same Abraham, we Christians don't all have the same Jesus? Or something else. We don't have all the same faith ? Our depraved nature affects us differently?

Last edited:

gordon 2

I'm sure. Seriously ask folks in any congregation about the new covenant and see where that goes.
Now ain't that the truth.... Wonder why that is? What happens that the new covenant is newer in some places than other places? You would think that if we are made heirs through Christ we would all be heirs to the same things and if we are all totally depraved we'd all be equal in depravity? What gives for so many variations on the new covenant?

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
I'm sure. Seriously ask folks in any congregation about the new covenant and see where that goes.

I heard someone say above, ‘Jesus is the way’ and I presume he was partially quoting John 14:6 and I concur!

Then I heard the new covenant and thought of this:

Hebrews 9
24 For Christ has entered, not into holy places made with hands, which are copies of the true things, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God on our behalf. 25 Nor was it to offer himself repeatedly, as the high priest enters the holy places every year with blood not his own, 26 for then he would have had to suffer repeatedly since the foundation of the world. But as it is, he has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself. 27 And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment, 28 so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him.

Folks, you truly blessed me with wonderful reminders this evening and I am so thankful.

Be blessed in Christ Jesus!

StriperAddict

Now ain't that the truth.... Wonder why that is? What happens that the new covenant is newer in some places than other places? You would think that if we are made heirs through Christ we would all be heirs to the same things and if we are all totally depraved we'd all be equal in depravity? What gives for so many variations on the new covenant?
There aren't any variations on the New Covenanet, only variations in our believing, our thinking.