External fan for gas logs.

I have a set of gas logs with the firebox deal. Has a simply mdf wooden built mantle around it. I am wanting to add an external fan below my mantle to blow the warm air out rather than going straight up to my tv and ceiling. Any ideas what could be mounted externally and that could handle the hot heat ? Links and suggestions appreciated.

If you've got a ceiling fan, switch it to the winter time setting and move all that heat back down to the living area.
Yes sir I have done that. I was just thinking they might make a thin long barrel type fan that could be mounted under the mantel to blow outward. I googled but couldnt come up with anything. Thought I might ask some these fine folks on here and see what kinda idears I might could drum up. That heat deflector is a neat idea. I’m sure the ceiling fan will eventually move it around. Old bones and joints want it faster ….

buckmanmike

If you have a fireplace similar to Whitetailfreak, but has grills at top and bottom, the fireplace manf would have a fan available to draw cool from bottom vents, circulate around the firebox, and exit out the top vents. Thus keeping mantle area cooler and more heat in the room.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Yes sir I have done that. I was just thinking they might make a thin long barrel type fan that could be mounted under the mantel to blow outward. I googled but couldnt come up with anything. Thought I might ask some these fine folks on here and see what kinda idears I might could drum up. That heat deflector is a neat idea. I’m sure the ceiling fan will eventually move it around. Old bones and joints want it faster ….
Not sure if it will work in your situation, but they make cordless fans that sit on top of wood fire boxes to circulate the heat that radiates up. You could hang them from your mantle.

If you have a fireplace similar to Whitetailfreak, but has grills at top and bottom, the fireplace manf would have a fan available to draw cool from bottom vents, circulate around the firebox, and exit out the top vents. Thus keeping mantle area cooler and more heat in the room.
Mine has no vents. This option wouldn’t work for me. Thank you for the input

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Not sure how it would work with gas logs but I installed this in a manufactured wood fireplace. Works like a champ.

Not sure how it would work with gas logs but I installed this in a manufactured wood fireplace. Works like a champ.

That looks interesting..

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
That looks interesting..
It works great in a wood fireplace due to coals piling up on it. I don’t know how it would work with gas. Puts out a bunch of heat in ours. We reverse the ceiling fan as there’s high ceiling in that room.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
If you are handy, you could try to build your own. A squirrel cage fan draws air from the open ends. You could make a shallow box beneath the mantle to act as a collector of the hot air and mount a small squirrel cage fan at either end. If the fans' open end on the outboard outside were blocked they would draw from the collector box and force air into the room. You could even build a "false" mantle hollow below to accomplish this and look good too.

If anyone wants to patent this idea, go ahead, all I want is 1% of the first $1,000,000 in sales in trust for my grandkids. LOL

We have high ceiling in our living room also. Mine has been like this for years and the ceiling fan reversed does work just takes alittle time for the heat to get moving around. HVAC just isn’t warm heat to me and I like standing and feeling hot heat ole bones ache

If you are handy, you could try to build your own. A squirrel cage fan draws air from the open ends. You could make a shallow box beneath the mantle to act as a collector of the hot air and mount a small squirrel cage fan at either end. If the fans' open end on the outboard outside were blocked they would draw from the collector box and force air into the room. You could even build a "false" mantle hollow below to accomplish this and look good too.

If anyone wants to patent this idea, go ahead, all I want is 1% of the first $1,000,000 in sales in trust for my grandkids. LOL
lol.. @JustUs4All . That’s a good idea. Im decent at building stuff. That’s a good option