External fan for gas logs.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
No idea on the fireplace insert, but maybe this can help. Pics show vent openings on right and left sides of the fireplace and there is a vent across the top of the insert as well. The solid plate across the bottom is removed, showing the hanging box I described. No heat felt in that bottom section where the plug is located, so I assume a fan is intended to be in that hanging box?
I would get this one. you can use the variable speed controller or not.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
Wander why that would be in the bottom. Don’t seem like to me it would push no heat there. Be curious to see what some the others say it is for
There is a void around the entire inside firebox. It draws air from the bottom and pushes it out of the top vent or vice versa depending on which way you position the blower. It is 100% for the blower.

There is a void around the entire inside firebox. It draws air from the bottom and pushes it out of the top vent or vice versa depending on which way you position the blower. It is 100% for the blower.
Oh ok gotcha. Never installed one. So in theory I could cut out a slot in the top of the metal above my fire box and install a fan like one posted above ?

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
Oh ok gotcha. Never installed one. So in theory I could cut out a slot in the top of the metal above my fire box and install a fan like one posted above ?
There should be a removable plate at the top just like the bottom. Your supposed to remove them and replace them with louvers. You could just drill holes in both top and bottom plates because they might not be available for our purchase.I was not able to see the top in the pic.

Oldstick

As an experiment, I put a small fan blowing into the space at the bottom. Now there is nice warm air blowing out of the vents at the top. Way less heat buildup underneath the mantle piece.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 23

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
A word of caution when trying to direct airflow from gas log fireplace.

Burning gas gives off carbon monoxide, What ever fan you go with, make sure you are not diverting CO from the flue into the living space.

Oldstick

Burning gas gives off carbon monoxide, What ever fan you go with, make sure you are not diverting CO from the flue into the living space.
That is very true. But some models of gas log appliances (like mine) are of the "unvented" type. Meaning there is no chimney pipe upwards to outside of the house. Everything goes out into the room where the logs are installed. There are strict requirements for the installation of that type. Like minimum cubic footage of the installation area and no extraordinary sealing of the room in general. To ensure there is always an adequate supply of fresh oxygen from outside the house to prevent a dangerous buildup of CO.

I have the original owners manual and all requirements are far exceeded with our house.

Lukikus2

X2
Gas log fireplace’s are more for decor than they are for actual heating.

buckmanmike

Ventless gas logs do help heat the room. Vented gas logs, the heat goes up the flue.
I had a propane heater at camp with gas logs. Used it as our only heat source and it kept it toasty.

Oldstick

X2
Gas log fireplace’s are more for decor than they are for actual heating.
I agree with that in general. We only use ours occasionally in very cold weather or having company around Christmas time. But given that, I want most of the heat to spread out into the room vs. straight up underneath the mantle. Thus the discussion about blowers to distribute the heat outwards.

Lukikus2

I agree with that in general. We only use ours occasionally in very cold weather or having company around Christmas time. But given that, I want most of the heat to spread out into the room vs. straight up underneath the mantle. Thus the discussion about blowers to distribute the heat outwards.

A ceiling fan in reverse mode as already suggested is the safest.

Oldstick

How old is the house? This is the second house in a row we have owned where there was a mystery switch mounted next to the fireplace. The first one built in 1986 with a wood burning fireplace, so I never bothered to fully investigate what that switch went to.

Then the second built in 2000 with unvented gas logs and we moved here in 2004. Never even noticed the switch at all until I recently found the switch operated an unused outlet in the bottom panel of the fireplace. So now I have a nice squirrel cage fan in the bottom panel that is moving heat out into the house very nicely. Saving a lot of stress on my old electric heat pump with this cold lately.

I can’t even see anywhere to access anything top or bottom No screws Switches outlets or anything. Hole for the gas pipe comes in with a cutoff valve. My home was built in 2000

Lukikus2

I never saw this coming and literally haven’t heard of it happening until my Mom just texted me this.
4F8DFCBF-003D-45B5-A97C-BBF091206ECE.png