External fan for gas logs.

Oldstick

Tacking on to this thread, I am now floored. Just like the OP I have had a gas log fireplace since moving here in 2005. We have not used it all that much, but I understand the OP's concern because our mantle is painted white and there are heat discolorations in the paint from the times we have used it.

But flash forward to 2023. I see an electrical switch beside the fireplace. Kind of hidden in a place nobody goes or sees daily. What does that go to? I tried every kind of outlet and light and I can't find out where it goes. I even tested the switch and there were wires and good voltage to it. So I figured Oh well I will find out one day.

Then I saw this post. I was thinking is there any way there are wires installed for a fan inside the fireplace? Looked good with a light and saw nothing, but the bottom panel underneath the metal insert had 3 screws. Low and behold, under the metal insert was an installed and switched outlet evidently for a fan option that was never included when the house was built.

So now I have to figure out how to find a fan that will work in this installation.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Tacking on to this thread, I am now floored. Just like the OP I have had a gas log fireplace since moving here in 2005. We have not used it all that much, but I understand the OP's concern because our mantle is painted white and there are heat discolorations in the paint from the times we have used it.

But flash forward to 2023. I see an electrical switch beside the fireplace. Kind of hidden in a place nobody goes or sees daily. What does that go to? I tried every kind of outlet and light and I can't find out where it goes. I even tested the switch and there were wires and good voltage to it. So I figured Oh well I will find out one day.

Then I saw this post. I was thinking is there any way there are wires installed for a fan inside the fireplace? Looked good with a light and saw nothing, but the bottom panel underneath the metal insert had 3 screws. Low and behold, under the metal insert was an installed and switched outlet evidently for a fan option that was never included when the house was built.

So now I have to figure out how to find a fan that will work in this installation.
Ther should be a manufacturers label visible either under the glass front of the firebox or inside the space underneath.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Or you could just put a box fan on an upward angle beside the firebox.
It might not fit your deco,but it is functional.

Oldstick

Thanks Semi-Pro. That might be my best bet. I have the original model number from the owners manual but they went under in 2003 so not much help there. In addition to the outlet, there is a metal hanging shelf under the unit, so I think the best option is to find one that will fit that shelf with a standard plug in cord.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
Thanks Semi-Pro. That might be my best bet. I have the original model number from the owners manual but they went under in 2003 so not much help there. In addition to the outlet, there is a metal hanging shelf under the unit, so I think the best option is to find one that will fit that shelf with a standard plug in cord.
That shelf may be a heat shield. What brand is the fireplace?

In order for me to use a fan like semi pro posted I would have to cut the metal on the plate and install it that way. Run wires up through the top of my mantel shelf and into my tv. IMG_0795.jpeg

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
In order for me to use a fan like semi pro posted I would have to cut the metal on the plate and install it that way. Run wires up through the top of my mantel shelf and into my tv. View attachment 1280767
It could be done. There is a void around the inner box on yours.

For the guys wanting a hood. I used to make them like the one in your pic. I would remove the factory and make one that was 6 " for the people with vent free logs

It could be done. There is a void around the inner box on yours.

For the guys wanting a hood. I used to make them like the one in your pic. I would remove the factory and make one that was 6 " for the people with vent free logs
Good advice and thank you.. i may look into that..

Oldstick

That shelf may be a heat shield. What brand is the fireplace?
It is a Martin Industries model AUV18M/UV18M dating from 1999 when the house was built. Can't find much info on that model since they apparently got sold around 2003. But the shelf I referred to was a metal box hanging centered below the fire box, approximately 16" wide and maybe 3" high and deep. It looked to me like it was possibly intended for something to me mounted in away from the direct heat above. The working 3 prong outlet was mounted in the bottom metal insert to the right and 12 or more inches away from the box in question. So that is why I'm thinking I need to find a blower fan that will fit in the 16 x 3 box, with a plug to the outlet then put the cover plate back on the bottom.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
It is a Martin Industries model AUV18M/UV18M dating from 1999 when the house was built. Can't find much info on that model since they apparently got sold around 2003. But the shelf I referred to was a metal box hanging centered below the fire box, approximately 16" wide and maybe 3" high and deep. It looked to me like it was possibly intended for something to me mounted in away from the direct heat above. The working 3 prong outlet was mounted in the bottom metal insert to the right and 12 or more inches away from the box in question. So that is why I'm thinking I need to find a blower fan that will fit in the 16 x 3 box, with a plug to the outlet then put the cover plate back on the bottom.
That looks like the model of the gas logs not the fireplace to me. I can probably find a blower that it uses if we can figure that out.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro

sghoghunter

This is more inline with what I had in my mind. I wander with it being plastic if the heat coming from the logs would affect it. I wanted to mount it horizontally. I may could try it and see how it does

On some of the reviews I read people had them horizontal. Not sure on how the plastic would hold up but It’d be worth a try

Oldstick

That looks like the model of the gas logs not the fireplace to me. I can probably find a blower that it uses if we can figure that out.
No idea on the fireplace insert, but maybe this can help. Pics show vent openings on right and left sides of the fireplace and there is a vent across the top of the insert as well. The solid plate across the bottom is removed, showing the hanging box I described. No heat felt in that bottom section where the plug is located, so I assume a fan is intended to be in that hanging box?

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 17

Oldstick

There's the installed outlet about 12 inches to the right of the hanging box underneath.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts