Fall plots for doves?

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
Can I let my winter wheat and oats stand and burn in August for dove season? Will there be enough seed? I've been looking into it and it's 50/50 but it looks like dnr does it with a combo on other fields

Bigearl68

Yes it will be just fine. “Dirty” wheat hogged and burned late summer is a good option. I do this myself from time to time when the situation dictates so.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
Ok with that being said , would millet grow in the wheat if I just broad cast it on top? Figure I can let the fall crop stand and fill in bare and thin spots with millet.

Bigearl68

I also have oats and I'm reading 50/50 that doves will eat the oats as well
I personally have never planted oats for doves, so I can’t say they will or won’t. I’ve never seen anyone intentionally leave oats standing for dove feed either.
To the “there won’t be any seed left” comment. Crop health is gonna play a big factor here. If this is just a deer plot that you want to get a little extra out of them you will probably be disappointed.
Wheat used as a dove field needs to be managed like a grain producing cash crop not a deer browse crop. If you manage for good plant health and yields then you will have a good stand of wheat still there in mid August. Otherwise you probably won’t have deer left due to poor management leading to low yield and lodging.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
I personally have never planted oats for doves, so I can’t say they will or won’t. I’ve never seen anyone intentionally leave oats standing for dove feed either.
To the “there won’t be any seed left” comment. Crop health is gonna play a big factor here. If this is just a deer plot that you want to get a little extra out of them you will probably be disappointed.
Wheat used as a dove field needs to be managed like a grain producing cash crop not a deer browse crop. If you manage for good plant health and yields then you will have a good stand of wheat still there in mid August. Otherwise you probably won’t have deer left due to poor management leading to low yield and lodging.
Good point

across the river

As above, I can’t speak to oats. As far as the wheat goes, you can plant wheat and leave it to cut just before the opener, but I think it has to be a large field. Had the opportunity growing up to hunt a wheat field(s) but it was very large combined. It would be absolutely wrapped up with birds in summer. He would cut strips through the summer and then cut the whole thing just before the opener. Had some barn burners that first weekend. If it is a smaller field, I don’t think it works. I have hunted a field that was planted in winter wheat and allowed to mature. He cut roughly a 1/3 of it June -and planted millet. Cut another third in July and planted, then another third in August and planted miler each time. Field was pretty decent but not a barn burner, but he would typically have better shoots over the millet later in the year by staggering the plantings. The wheat field was pretty dead after the first week or two. I guess it is all in what you want.

basstrkr

My 2 cents: Rains and hurricanes can really knock the seeds off and the wheat stalks down in late August. Best bet is to burn what you can before this happens, say early to mid august. Roasted seeds will hold up longer.