Fat wood

THREEJAYS

we called it lighterknot, since i was big enough to drag it through the woods, so i guess we will keep on

Same here,maybe cause we are in the same county.My grandpaw had been here since the teens and that's what he called it.

Davis31052

"Fat Literd"

That's what I’ve called it all my life. Sure lights easy and makes a hot fire. Reminds me of a time back in the mid 80's up at Fort Bragg. My old unit, 2nd Btln/10th Marines out of Camp Lejuene, NC, would go up there every year to qualify with the 105 mm towed howitzers. Never in the summer, always winter.

The last time I went was a particularly cold February and the old diesel fired heater in the maintenance tent just wasn’t up to task. I and a fellow Marine from NY went out in the woods looking for some different “fuel” to put in the stove. We can across a whole fallen tree that had completely turned to “literd”. We both got arm loads and high-tailed it back to camp.

I snuffed out the diesel fire, pulled the burner out with some welding gloves, and stuffed the little stove with the “fat literd”. Needles to say, in about twenty minutes, that little stove was red hot and standing up on one leg. We were all warm and toasty ‘till someone outside yelled in that the “boot” up top was smoking and melting. A bucket of water into the stove brought the flue temp back down, and we slept with no heat that night.

ellaville hunter

If you are going to refer to this material, you may as well learn the real name for it. The term is "lightwood". This is derived from the fact that this rich, resin filled wood was first used as torches to furnish light before lanterns and flashlights existed.

It was first used as a means of shining the eyes of deer when hunting at night. This is where the term "fire hunting" was derived.

In areas where pine forests prevailed, the term lightwood was shortened to "lightood" with the w silent or completely left off. The wood ultimately became known to most country folks as "lightard." Out of respect for country folks, please do not call it lighterwood or fat wood. It makes you appear to be a novice.

Best way to process the wood is to take a chainsaw and block it up in 12 inch long blocks then split the block into "splinters" to use as you need them.

also known as fat lighter

60Grit

I have a piece of fatwood stump that I have kept outside for 8 years now. Whenever I need some I just split off a little.

xpertgreg

I have a piece of fatwood stump that I have kept outside for 8 years now. Whenever I need some I just split off a little.

that's looking like what I'm gonna do. I have thought about sawing it up, but don't want to put my saw through that and I feel that too much would be wasted as well.

gw

Dug

Any one ever heard of it called kindling(sp)? I pulled up many old pine stumps growing up and thats what we always called it.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Lighterd or lighterd knot were the names I always heard it called growing up in NE GA.

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Kindlin' is what you buy at the store in cute little bundles. The term kindlin' can be applied to any soft, dry wood that ignites readily. Anything that will "kindle"a fire could rightly be called kindlin'.

Jake Allen

I have always known it a s lighter knot too.
A whole lot of old fence posts in the woods where I grew up were
lighter knot. Made dang good camp fires when I was a kid.
(We keep a good sized pile by the fire pit at deer camp).

Are not some kinds of gun powder made from lighter stumps?
(As in the old Hercules plant that used to be in Glynn County).

DLS

(deer camp).

Are not some kinds of gun powder made from lighter stumps?
(As in the old Hercules plant that used to be in Glynn County).

They Used To buy fat lighter stumps here in columbus, the nitro glycern plant bought them to make dynomite
Some of those "HOT " fat lighter stumps brought a good price . they used to put them on rr cars & tote them some where.. the guy had cash for the stumps. I know where there are a few of the old heart wood stumps from days gone by are HUGE LIGHTER STUMPS! . But I will let them be for another hunderd years so the youngins can see them. I have quite a pile of lighter wood . I will give y'all a piece so you can try it

Hogtown

It was lighter-pine to my great-grandparents, my grandparents, and my parents...so, it will always be lighter pine to me. [I do however consider fat lighter , fat wood, and lighter knot to be perfectly acceptable].

Dug

Kindlin' is what you buy at the store in cute little bundles. The term kindlin' can be applied to any soft, dry wood that ignites readily. Anything that will "kindle"a fire could rightly be called kindlin'.

The first time I ever heard it called Fat Wood was when I saw a cute little bundle labled fat wood on the shelf at Wal-Mart. Call it want you want it's still just an old pine stump that will start a good fire.

crackerdave

Very useful stuff to get a fire goin',whatever you want to call it.We used to go around on lighter-wood hunts,just for something to do.

Snakeman

I drug home about a 40 pound piece of fat wood today. is there anything special I need to do to keep it usable or can i just leave it next to the fire pit and just cut off a piece when I need it to light a fire? I figure by Home Depot standards I probably got about $200 worth for free:banana:

gw
If it is a solid piece, it will keep outside in the weather for several lifetimes. My father-in-law has several stumps that he drug up in front of his home that were blown out of the ground when his father cleared the farm. They were blown using distillate fuel and fertilizer, probably close to 70 years ago.

Here's another thread on the subject:

What is it?

The Snakeman

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
Rich Pine

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Don't be too highly influenced by what a Walmart "associate" might label a product.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I didn't know they knew anything, they have never helped me:bounce:

Latest posts