favorite tomato plant

hipster dufus

got the garden ready to go, what are some of the better tomato types?favorites ,tastiest? thanks

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There are lots of good ones. But if I had to pick a couple really good all-around maters:

hybrid=Park's Whopper, heirloom=Arkansas Traveler.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Cherokee purple = best taste

Mortgage Lifter = very popular, sweet

Better Boy is a all around good 'mater

Brandywine is a good choice also

pine floor

Park whopper also for the main one.. I plant around 40, so I do have a variety.

The best cherry, that I have found is the Black Cherry..

Seems, the the big boys, better boys use to do good, but not anymore.

PF

Stroker

Whoppers, Better Boy, Beefsteak, in that order. I think the beefsteak makes the best mater sammich, one slice will cover a slice of loaf bread.

treemanjohn

Banned
Roma's are tough to beat for a good all around tomato. Cherokee purple and Mr Stipeys are excellent heirlooms. Once you start eating heirlooms the rest are tough to eat

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
If you're juicing and canning like us, Romas are unbeatable.

joepuppy

Brandywine or Cherokee Purple. German Johnson is also great.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
If you can find them Russian Pinks are great too. But they won't beat Cherokee Purples

snuffy

I plant several every year.
Always plant Rutgers the rest very from year to year.

Mauser

Cherokee purple,better boy,big boy,brandywine, and I always like to have a few tomato spotted wilt virus resistant ones like Amelia or bhn 602. Some years the tswv is terrible on me here in South West GA. Some years not bad at all and there is nothing you can do for the tswv

turkeykirk

Cherokee Purple. Best tasting grape tomato I've found is Mexico Midget. Great to eat right off the vine. Very prolific.

NUTT

Celebrity. Grows large for sandwiches and tons for canning. Great taste. Determinate so you don't have to sucker for better growth either.