Feeder.....

A quick question. I have been feeding deer all summer from a tube-type feeder. I have recently bought my first broadcasting feeder. My concern is the "noise" this thing makes when it is running. Will it "scare" the deer or will they adapt to the presence of the feeder?

Larry Rooks

They will adapt to it. The first time I saw one go off with deer close by they all went to blowing and took off like the devil was after em:bounce: I set mine to go off well after daylight and before dark. That way when the deer come in to feed, the food is already out and you don't have to worry about it going off during their prime times anyway.
Mine is set for 7:30 am and 4:00 pm. This also helps to get them used to the food being out early and it will get them to coming in some during daylight and mid day

Handgunner

Thing is this.

During deer season, while sitting over a feeder, it's usually best for it not to be going off period. And if you're not hunting over it, why worry about it spooking deer to begin with?

56willysnut

Sitting isn't huntin is! It's a dinner bell to them when it goes off after they get used to it.

No intentions of "sitting" over a feeder. Just curious about the effects of the feeder noise on the deer versus the "tube". I have a trailcam set-up.

56willysnut

I've seen deer come to a feeder before the thing goes off and keep looking at it, then it goes off and they would jump back and then come right back to the corn when it stops spinning.

Somebody even sells a gadget that sounds like a feeder going off that will attrach deer to a feeder without it going off.

Davexx1

I have seen 12-15 does and yearlings come to an automatic feeder just a few minutes before it went off. At the noise of the feeder slinging corn they all tore off running away but stopped out a ways and when the feeder quit, they all came right back to it.

I am guessing it is best to set an automatic slinger up early in the summer so as to give them time to get used to the noise and timing. If you have bears, that is not good.

Dave1