Deer and Pigs

frankwright

I know many say the pigs will run off the deer but I have dozens of cell cam pics of deer and hogs feeding close to a feeder together.
Not just a minute before one or the other spooks but for 40-50 minutes at a time.
Maybe my critters saw Bambi and are trying to get along!

Attachments

• Deer and pigs.jpg
    Deer and pigs.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 53

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I agree Frank ! I’ve hunted around both most of my life. I think in areas that they have always been hogs the deer learn to live with them . The hogs just eat all of the food

sghoghunter

I’ve got a few pics here and there of different animals eating around each other but I’ve got hundreds of pics showing deer eating around a feeder and the next pic of a hog. I set the times on my feeders differently when it’s deer season vs off season. Deer season I want all deer and no hogs then off season I want all hogs and no deer. Here’s a couple of the only pics I’ve ever got with different animals In the same frame

Attachments

• IMG_1737.png
    IMG_1737.png
    247.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1736.png
    IMG_1736.png
    243.9 KB · Views: 39

catch22

I know many say the pigs will run off the deer but I have dozens of cell cam pics of deer and hogs feeding close to a feeder together.
Not just a minute before one or the other spooks but for 40-50 minutes at a time.
Maybe my critters saw Bambi and are trying to get along!
I guess I was expecting to see the deer and hogs together under the feeder in the pic. not them far apart in a plot.

I have never seen a deer and a pig under a feeder together...im not saying it doesnt happen, but we have been hunting around both of them for 20+ years around feeders and with corn on ground and never seen them together.

Ive seen them in the same food plot, but the deer keep their distance

frankwright

I guess I was expecting to see the deer and hogs together under the feeder in the pic. not them far apart in a plot.

I have never seen a deer and a pig under a feeder together...im not saying it doesnt happen, but we have been hunting around both of them for 20+ years around feeders and with corn on ground and never seen them together.

Ive seen them in the same food plot, but the deer keep their distance
Yes, rarely eating together.
But to hear some folks tell it, if you have hogs your deer hunting is ruined.
That food plot is not very wide so deer and pigs are within a reasonable distance eating in peace!

catch22

Yes, rarely eating together.
But to hear some folks tell it, if you have hogs your deer hunting is ruined.
That food plot is not very wide so deer and pigs are within a reasonable distance eating in peace!
its not ruined, but pigs are so destructive and compete directly with deer for food.....having pigs around makes deer hunting so much harder especially if you are a food source hunter

Iwannashoot

Pesident of the Fla Chaper Useless Billy club.
The pigs are just as good,if not better eating. They just get a bad reputation cause they don't have antlers.

Yes they are greedy and gluttonous, but they never have accomplished the feat of "eating all the deer's food"

catch22

The pigs are just as good,if not better eating. They just get a bad reputation cause they don't have antlers.

Yes they are greedy and gluttonous, but they never have accomplished the feat of "eating all the deer's food"
They get a bad reputation because of the millions and millions of dollars of loss they cause for farmers each year. They get a bad reputation because they tear up food plots, ruin feeders, tear up roads, make potholes in fields that will cause your tractor to throw you out of the seat……those are just a some of the reasons

But I do agree. They taste great!!!

Tight Lines

They'll coexist somewhat, and around a feeder you may see them...they all act different around a feeder...and early in the season...or after the rut when they are worn down...

However, once a deer get's hard horned and reclusive, they don't like to be bedded around the hogs. On food plots, once the pigs come in the deer normally scram...not always, I've shot pigs with deer in the plot...

But they generally don't like the pigs and they will absolutely push them around a property...

I've had 19-20 deer in a plot and they all stop and look in the same direction, and as soon as the sounder appears they split...

There is no absolute, they are animals...but given a choice the deer will avoid them typically...

For me when a plot if not getting any traffic from deer, and the others are, I normally know there is a sounder bedding close...

Last edited: