First Hogs

FrChs28

Well , I made the 16 hour drive from New York and headed back down to look for some pork. Tried my usual spots I found last year on public land last year. They were pretty well flooded, so I tried something I thought I would never do. I hunted over a feeder ! Some friends of mine baited for me prior to my arrival. Well, to be honest with you I had a blast ! They came in super wary, which I didn’t expect. First group had a lead sow that was cautious, and when she froze they all froze. Having never shot a hog I aimed behind the shoulder quartering away with my .308.
She crumbled on the spot. Second group came in a half hour later. With pork already on the table I went for the head shot. Right between the eyes and he crumbled also. Want to thank you all for your tips, and advice, true southern hospitality! At breakfast, my Georgian buddies teased me. Order the grits, if you eat home fries, they’ll know you’re from New York !
God bless you all, and best of luck in 2020.....

Attachments

• C26D5643-F3BE-40B6-9693-073E62F8D3E7.jpeg
    C26D5643-F3BE-40B6-9693-073E62F8D3E7.jpeg
    382 KB · Views: 114

Hillbilly stalker

Congratulations nice hogs. Anybody who would drive that far to hunt a hog deserves a lot of respect. Congrats again, good shooting !

FrChs28

Thanks ! Needed to try something new after hunting deer for so many years. Nothing open up here until September. Change of scenery is nice too !

Big7

The Oracle
CONGRATULATIONS !!!

Good head start on filling the freezer.?

hambone76

Congratulations and well done! Glad that you got some pork on the ground.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Georgia pork , congrats on 2 great eating size ones , you’ll enjoy it ! And I’m surprised u didn’t try to stay ?

Wayne D Davis

Thanks ! and a full table it was, Boar was 170 lbs. and meat was perfect. I've been told some old Boars are nasty. Guess he was a young one.
I've eat them over 200 pounds. I've also left 100 pounders to the buzzards because I couldn't stand to get near them (stunkhighly), much less carve it up.

FrChs28

I've eat them over 200 pounds. I've also left 100 pounders to the buzzards because I couldn't stand to get near them (stunkhighly), much less carve it up.
Maybe the cold helped ? It was low 30's while I was there last week. I would think that in the warm weather, they may stink more, not sure. Rained heavy on Thursday, maybe it gave them a bath !

Wayne D Davis

Maybe the cold helped ? It was low 30's while I was there last week. I would think that in the warm weather, they may stink more, not sure. Rained heavy on Thursday, maybe it gave them a bath !
I think it's more in what they've recently eaten. I've packed a few out in 90 degrees weather.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Congrats on the ? ?
Did you freeze the meat or just ice it down for the drive home?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I think it's more in what they've recently eaten. I've packed a few out in 90 degrees weather.
I’ve always believed if a boar has been running sows and breeding a lot he will be rank , my daughter killed a boar about 100lbs a couple months ago that was butterball fat and wasn’t rank and I made sausage out of him and u can smell the boar smell while it’s cooking but it’s good eating !

FrChs28

Congrats on the ? ?
Did you freeze the meat or just ice it down for the drive home?
Just iced it down. Shot them Friday night before dark. Field dressed them before going to bed. Got up early Saturday and quartered them, and put them on ice. It was cold so that helped a lot. On Monday morning most of the ice was still there, so meat was perfect. Drained the cooler on the way back but not much melted.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Way to get it done! I personally think the boar stink comes from being in rut also. I dont eat them either. There's too many that dont stink to be keeping the ones that do.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Well done yankee! ::ke:
Glad to have you here and your welcome to kill as many as u want! Over bait too! I’ve only dealt with 1 rank hog and it wasn’t even 25 lbs.
IMHO, the bigger the pig, the bigger the chops! shoulder should get you some really fine bbq! Enjoy and congrats!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Way to get it done! I personally think the boar stink comes from being in rut also. I dont eat them either. There's too many that dont stink to be keeping the ones that do.
I agree and smelling like a pig ain’t really stinking.......you’ll know it when you smell it!

FrChs28

Well done yankee! ::ke:
Glad to have you here and your welcome to kill as many as u want! Over bait too! I’ve only dealt with 1 rank hog and it wasn’t even 25 lbs.
IMHO, the bigger the pig, the bigger the chops! shoulder should get you some really fine bbq! Enjoy and congrats!
Thanks ! Looking forward to hunting them again !

Latest posts