First Squirrel Gun

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Maybe the Rossi that comes with two barrels in .22 and 20ga single shot is the solution.
Sportsman's Warehouse has it for less than $200.

I bought one of these for my son.... the .22 is junk when it comes to accuracy. I couldn't keep it under 4 inch groups at 50 yards.

WishboneW

Another plus for the Rossi is that it is the only single shot I am aware of that has a safety on it. Great training aid for future weapons. Also I would stick with a 20 gauge. Squirrel hunting with a dog usually puts the squirrels in the biggest trees and often near the top. You will need the range.

The Stevens 301 has a safety, uses screw in chokes, and comes in 410, 20, and 12 ga. Only downside is that it is made in China

jrickman

My boys each have an M&P15-22 and a Stevens 301 in 20GA. Both reasonably priced and effective. When they are older they will inherit some family heirloom centerfire rifles, but if I get hit by a bus tomorrow I at least know they have Jesus in their hearts and some meat making tools in their gun racks.

greg_n_clayton

I bought one of these for my son.... the .22 is junk when it comes to accuracy. I couldn't keep it under 4 inch groups at 50 yards.
This answers a question I had on my mind. I got a couple of tack driving 22s. I bolt action and a Marlin Model 7000. That Marlin is the only one I have ever seen in that madel. It is a small rifle but a tad heavy for its size !

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Mine was a revelation .410, then a .22. That .410 killed a bunch of squirrels and Doves too.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I started with a 410, but you need to think about ammo availability, especially now days.

My brother picked up a combo single shot 243 and 20 gauge for my niece, the shotgun barrel would flat out stomp you.

I picked up a youth 20 gauge auto and just put one shell in at a time until they got used to it and safety aspects, they started shooting it at 8. Way more selection of ammo also, plus it makes a great
turkey gun 20200913_134301.jpg

Last edited:

bany

Yep,I think you're right!
Well did you pull the trigger yet?
Grandpa got me the Ithaca super single 20 ga back in 73’. I use to think it was long for me but in hindsight i believe it made me a better shooter and taught me things about targets,etc. You won’t be buying one for $45 anymore but what a gun it still is. Maybe I’ll hand it down to a grandchild some day??

crackerdave

Well did you pull the trigger yet?
Grandpa got me the Ithaca super single 20 ga back in 73’. I use to think it was long for me but in hindsight i believe it made me a better shooter and taught me things about targets,etc. You won’t be buying one for $45 anymore but what a gun it still is. Maybe I’ll hand it down to a grandchild some day??
Nothing yet. My grandson's birthday is in November and if his dad ok's it,I'll get it then.

BDD

If you can find one Browning made a 2 shot semi auto 12 GA.
The barrel rides in a large spring under the forearm, there is hardly
Any kick at all. Probably kicks like a .410.