first traditional deer (with story)

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
let me say first i have been bowhunting since 1990 during that time i have NEVER killed a deer on the bow opener. i guess my buck fever is as bad as it gets and i have never been able to pull it together on opening day. i have taken 15 or more deer with a compound bow but several years ago i felt the pull of traditional archery and started down the path with the longbow. nothing against wheels, i would pick one back up if something ever prevents me from shooting my longbow. there is just something different about it. to me my compound was a tool for hunting but the longbow was a friend i could carry no matter what i was doing (stump shooting is great practice and a good excuse to get in the woods) the flight of the arrow and seeing the feathers spin is an almost mystical experience. i sold my compound 3 years ago and decided that i needed to get serious about my quest to take a deer with traditional gear. the commitment was worth it. i keep a target where i work and shoot during my lunch a couple times a week,(i work nights). last night as i got in the truck a lynyrd skynyrd (sp) was playing as i turned the key. all i heard was " THE SMELL OF DEATH IS AROUND YOU". i smiled to myself and wondered if that was a good sign. as i pulled up to the target and looked at the clock on the dash i noticed it was 2:43 another good sign (love it when the clock shows calibers) i did not shoot much maybe 5 groups of 2 arrows each just to calibrate my eye and stretch my arm. as quitting time rolled around, i headed out for the alabama opener. it was a lot cooler than i expected but it felt great. i hit the bottom i was headed for, the same place i stared down a 6 pointer with my longbow last year. as i neared my ambush point i heard a deer bound off. it ran but did not snort so i slowed my pace and picked my way carefully to the point of the "L" shaped bottom. i sat my stool down and surveyed shooting lanes as the light allowed. about 25 minutes passed and there was sufficient shooting light. i heard a muffled step in the woods to my left, was it a squirrel? a deer? i listened to it for about 5 minutes in the same place till i realized that it was a deer. an alert deer softly stomping in the leaves trying to figure out what had run it out of the bottom. it finally came in view searching for me. i realized 2 things 1, it was a button head and 2 it was a big button head. i will not usually shoot one but as i looked at the stick in my left hand i thought of my quest and i thought of the 3 years it had been since i arrowed a deer. my mind was made up, given the chance this tasty morsel was going home with me. he eased up to within 5 yards screened by brush and looked right at me then snorted and ran straight away. to my amazement he stopped at about 17 yards and turned broadside looking in front of him. i started my draw looking at the spot i wanted to hit tight behind the shoulder. mid draw he looks right at me and i freeze. i have two choices and neither is really good. i decide if i can make it to anchor i will take this shot, i hit anchor and focused, at that point the arrow left the bow. i remember seeing the 4 fletch feathers spinning and the deer lurching forward just as the arrow reached him. the arrow took him farther back than i wanted it to and i reserved myself that this was going to be a tough tracking job. the deer crested the ridge and slowed down. i could still see the fletching but knew the arrow had penetrated fully. the deer stopped just out of view and i held my breath. seconds later i heard rustling and hoped it was him going down. right then i had a real peaceful feeling wash over me. i thanked GOD for the chance to take this animal and prayed that the hit was vital and would end him quick. i waited long just to be sure then went to check for sign. the sign was there, the snuffer must have severed an artery below the spine because there was a tremendous blood trail. the trail was not needed. i looked up and 65 yards away i could see a white belly and an arrow with a red snuffer pointing skyward. i gave thanks right there. i realize that some folks take issue with me shooting a button head. i don't really care. after many years of trying this deer made me as excited as any i have ever killed. the tender roasts and backstraps will be savored for every bite. 1 backstrap will be set aside to share with blazr988 a friend who has stood by and watched and helped during the time of my quest. you see he shares the same quest and hopefully he will achieve his also. sorry for the long post but i hope you enjoyed it. this bow is a bear montana 50 lb, i shoot 4 fletch because i like to be different. carbon arrows and 125 grain snuffers. this was a dream come true, i hope yours do also this season.

Attachments

• traddeer1.jpg
    traddeer1.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 386

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Congrats to you Feral! Enjoyed the story too. :cheers:

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
thanks for the comments yall. here is a shot from the other side. you can see the red snuffer. it was a beautiful sight in the morning sun.

Attachments

• traddeer.jpg
    traddeer.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 327

60Grit

Great story Ferel One, and congrats on the kill.

That story has rekindled a hankering that I have had for a couple of years to hang up my compound in favor of going back to a stick bow.

I still have a haunting in my soul over a nice 9 pointer I under shot almost 30 years ago with my stick bow. He was hot on a doe's trail and I didn't have much time to set and fire. Man what I wouldn't give to have that moment to do over again. Those were the days of hunting in knee high mocassins and shooting with the fingers, and a few other things that I am too old for now.:bounce:

Funny how there is more satisfaction out of the simple things in life.

Thanks again for the story, it might have just been what I needed to go ahead and make the change back to a stick and give up my wheels.

whitetailaddict

congrats! great story also.
i know the feeling of accomplishment i get when i kill one with my compound. i can only imagine how you were feeling doing it with traditional equipment.

Booner Killa

dude, you should be a writer. Great story. I enjoyed every word of it. Keep slingin those sticks. Congrats on the well deserved prize also!!!

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Great story and congradulations on your quest. May many more fall to your bow.

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
Way to go Feral, great story. I do love shootin a stick and string.

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
as promised, here is blazr988's pile of backstrap.

Attachments

• IMGP1185.JPG
    IMGP1185.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 230

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
Man, that's just plain mean Feral!!!...Since I ain't got none. Them's some fine lookin' vittles.

mutt

Great Story Feral !

I enjoy a good hunting story that draws me in like I was there ! Great ending too !

mutt

Hunting Teacher

Congratulations!
A great accomplishment. I have tremendous respect for anybody who takes the time and effort to use a long bow.
Cool story and some fine eating!
Teacher

Al33

My sincerest congratulations Feral One!:clap: The hunt was well related and I especially enjoyed your expressions of why you hunt with the longbow.

Very happy your quest was realized just as mine was last year with a longbow whitetail and I was on the ground also. Man, when you are eye to eye with one on the ground the adrenaline really gets to pumping.:D

Great read and photo's. We are going to have to hook up one day for a duo hunt either here or in Alabama.

Looking forward to reading about #2.