Fishing season opener - couldn't be better!

oldfella1962

Being a Yankee, I don't like to sweat while I fish. Ergo, I don't fish in the summer/hot weather. So yesterday was my first day fishing since May 2023.
I was killing the bass on my favorite lake! Most were juveniles, but I did get one keeper that fried up as tasty as I can fry fish anyway. :D
I think I broke a speed record fishing too - never a break in the action! I was bank fishing on a point using a drop-shot rigged 5-inch Zoom worm, reddish-purple with flakes (I lost the original bag so I don't know the exact color name). The best part of my day? I had the lake all to myself. :) I'm going back this afternoon since that cold front is moving in this weekend and that will shut me down for a few days.

hipster dufus

Love the cooler weather, but hafta fish when it's hot out too.cant stand lookin at boat not being used.
We were out Monday on oconee and put 31 in boat,21 bass.4,3 biggest. I caught 16 on zoom lizards. Close to being my pb day for numbers.

oldfella1962

Love the cooler weather, but hafta fish when it's hot out too.cant stand lookin at boat not being used.
We were out Monday on oconee and put 31 in boat,21 bass.4,3 biggest. I caught 16 on zoom lizards. Close to being my pb day for numbers.
Zoom makes a good product no doubt! I have lizards in my tackle box, generally for spring time. And being that I don't have a boat, I don't have to look at it not being used. Granted I'm limited to where & how I can fish, but I make the best of it.

ugajay

I've been itching to go myself! Congrats on the constant action. Those days will stick with you

oldfella1962

Heck yeah!! My guess on the worm color you described would be junebug
I figured out it was a strawberry red glitter finesse worm. So yesterday afternoon I went back to the same spot and was crushing them again. So I switched colors - (which was June bug according to Zoom's color chart) - but not technique just for an "apples to apples" comparison. That color was equally successful. Then I switched to a green-ish Zoom 4-inch lizard, and that was equally effective. My conclusion? In that particular situation lure color was not a factor. Obviously lure color is important in other situations.
Most of my strikes occurred in about seven feet of water that was a bit darker than usual for that lake.

Latest posts