fishing the keys for spring

superdutyturbo

Me and a few buddies want to do some flats fishing in the keys over spring break around beggining of March for maybe 4 or 5 days. We have to work with a budget of about 2000 dollars per person which includes food, lodging, fishing, and travel and was wondering if anyone has been to any good fishing lodges around there or knows of any places to get some bang for your buck! Thanks guys.

throwdown

My advice would be to stay in Islamorada, you can show up at the boat dock and talk with 50 guides at any time. Your best bet would be to start some research on your guide now. I don't know what type of fish your after, but if your after inshore, Islamorada is the place to be. You can find hotels in the area that are priced desently.

Nitro

Banned
Go to Bud and Mary's on Islamorada - find a guide you like and go fishing.

Check at Sandy Moret's at the Green Turtle, they may know someone who will fit your budget.

bonedog

No help here but I am so jealous. Hope y'all have a great trip.
bd

superdutyturbo

Hey guys thanks for the input. I booked the trip and we are going to Hawks Cay Marina and Resort in Duck Key. It is a nice affordable resort with many charter boats at their own marina. Me and my buddies will be doing one full day on a 20ft flats boat fly fishing for permit bonefish and tarpon and then a full day of offshore fishing for dolphin and wahoo on a 38ft Buddy Davis. I am so pumped up. The other days we will just kick back and relax because if I do any more fishing it could start to get expensive.

Nitro

Banned
Hey guys thanks for the input. I booked the trip and we are going to Hawks Cay Marina and Resort in Duck Key. It is a nice affordable resort with many charter boats at their own marina. Me and my buddies will be doing one full day on a 20ft flats boat fly fishing for permit bonefish and tarpon and then a full day of offshore fishing for dolphin and wahoo on a 38ft Buddy Davis. I am so pumped up. The other days we will just kick back and relax because if I do any more fishing it could start to get expensive.

Hawk's Cay is an awesome place too. Have a great trip!!

MagSPot

hey

if you have your own boat you can catch tarpon in boca grade really easy there every where in a month or two

You can fish plenty and just wade. All the bonefish you want.

There are several state parks down there with plenty of access to good bones.

Morrets IMO is not what it used to be. Check and see if Bonefish Bob's is still in business on Islamarada. He'll hook you up with a guide and any flies or jigs you need to fish down there.

t1b2b3

I was down there in late January on the flats off Key West, the bite was slow, but I had a Great time. I will definately go back. Islamarado was great! behind the BASS PRO (World wide Sportsman) is a restaraunt next to Marina, that feeds giant free roamingTarpon, a must see. Good Luck!

Whitetailer

celticfisherman,

On a sad note, Bonefish Bob passed away a while back. I had fished with him in Montana and he got me on the Thomas & Thomas guide program here in Islamorada.

He was a very nice man and loved his fly fishing.

Whitetailer