Flier panfish

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Wonder how many enjoy catching Flier in tanic stained waters, like some rivers, creeks or cypress ponds? We catch them here in Miller and
Early counties. I've also caught Fliers east of Valdosta Ga in a big cypress lake. Great to eat, and fun to catch.

Attachments

• flier.jpg
    flier.jpg
    566.4 KB · Views: 141

Redbow

What we called Fliers in SC were a bit different species of fish. I have caught a bunch of them when I lived down there out of the Little Pee Dee River. The fliers we caught were brown with black specks all down their sides. They did not grow big but were quite tasty.

Nice fish in the picture.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Wonder how many enjoy catching Flier in tanic stained waters, like some rivers, creeks or cypress ponds? We catch them here in Miller and
Early counties. I've also caught Fliers east of Valdosta Ga in a big cypress lake. Great to eat, and fun to catch.
I’ve caught them in Houston County years ago in a creek between two ponds.

Donal

I've also caught Fliers east of Valdosta Ga in a big cypress lake. Great to eat, and fun to catch.[/QUOTE]

Banks pond or Grand bay?

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Believe it was lake Verne NE of Statesville. Went fishing as a guest many years ago. Fliers were large there, so were the warmouth.

Donal

Verne NE of Statesville. (Statenville)
Not many people have access to that venue. During the decade of the 70's.

Last edited:

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Fished Lake Verne a few times myself. A good friend I trained in Law Enforcement has a membership.

Can't remember the caretakers names, but dang that old lady could cook, and made each stay a pleasure.

One of the last remaining pieces of heaven on earth.

I need to call my friend, for old time's sake...

oldfella1962

interesting shape - kind of like a crappie the way their top and bottom fins are shaped.
I think the sunfish family is about the most diverse and varied group of fish - so many species & subspecies!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Caught plenty around Coffee co , we called them sun perch . Great limb line bait

Studawg170

Love catching the almost solid black ones in the Swamp