Flight of bullets in rain

Mattval

Just listening to GunTalk radio. There was a question as to if rain has an effect on a bullet in its trajectory. I would say the rain would have to have some kind of effect. What does everyone else have to say?

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I would think that the actual rain droplets would surely create more drag on the bullet in flight and would definitely slow it down and thereby decrease its velocity considerably depending on just how hard the rain was falling.

Since I started back deer hunting about 10 years ago, I do my best to NOT hunt in the rain because I don't want to get my gun or my rear-end wet !!!

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I shot a 30 30 in a down pour dog hunting. The deer was in a dirt road. As I shot u could see the path as it busted up the rain. After it hit the deer u could see it skidding down the road. Water spraying to the sides of it.
Pretty cool effect to see.

ryanh487

There is a wave of displaced air emanating from a bullet as it travels at high velocity (see attached shadow graph showing the air displacement of a bullet in flight). The displaced air would also push incoming water away. Rain doesn't actually come in contact with the surface of the bullet as it travels. But humidity can have an effect on trajectory at very long ranges, since humid air is higher density and causes more drag, slowing the bullet faster. This is not a factor at hunting ranges though.

Attachments

• f42p108.jpg
    f42p108.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 19

godogs57

There is a wave of displaced air emanating from a bullet as it travels at high velocity (see attached shadow graph showing the air displacement of a bullet in flight). The displaced air would also push incoming water away. Rain doesn't actually come in contact with the surface of the bullet as it travels. But humidity can have an effect on trajectory at very long ranges, since humid air is higher density and causes more drag, slowing the bullet faster. This is not a factor at hunting ranges though.

Eggzackly right.

I've shot a bunch of critters at longer than normal range in the rain and have yet to see my point of impact changed. My last case in point was this past year's bull elk I shot at 351 yards in a driving downpour...hit right where I aimed.

pdsniper

What is said above is totally correct this topic was brought up in the sniper schools I have attended it has no effect except raising the humidity level on my butt
I have a very close friend that ran the sniper school for the U.S Army special forces for several years and he wrote a detailed article on this very subject

Laman

I'm not going to argue with the science presented above or sniper school instructors but you ask any short range competitive benchrest shooter about shooting in the rain. A rifle that's in tune and shooting in the .1's and .2 all match long than along comes rainfall and you end up with a bullet 1/2 inch out of the group, it ain't the humidity!

BriarPatch99

I have an idea that the temperature of a bullet traveling down a tight barrel and pass through the air ... May have some thing to do with the rain(non effect) ...

if there is a concern with the plastic tips melting off a bullet .... how much water could hang onto a hot bullet.....

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
And at 200,000rpm +/- depending on twist rate.....they'd have to be BIG raindrops.

Jester896

Senior Clown
like it has a fan on the front blowing stuff out the way...I guess they can get wet...when they fall out the sky in a water puddle :)

nmurph

More than anything I think it is the energy the bullet is carrying vs the energy in a rain drop coming at a different vector can impart.

Last edited: