Florida Peacock Bass

jocko755

Took a mini vacation to Miami so my son and friends could go to the rolling loud music festival. I saw it as an opportunity to do some fishing. Our rental house had a great canal right out back. I caught peacocks, Oscar’s, snakeheads, and snook. Saw many other species - such a diverse ecosystem- much like fishing in an aquarium.

Got to go back again. It was so much fun.

Attachments

• IMG_9817.jpeg
    IMG_9817.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_7034.jpeg
    IMG_7034.jpeg
    211 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_9843.jpeg
    IMG_9843.jpeg
    263 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7049.jpeg
    IMG_7049.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_9838.jpeg
    IMG_9838.jpeg
    647.5 KB · Views: 55

oldfella1962

Took a mini vacation to Miami so my son and friends could go to the rolling loud music festival. I saw it as an opportunity to do some fishing. Our rental house had a great canal right out back. I caught peacocks, Oscar’s, snakeheads, and snook. Saw many other species - such a diverse ecosystem- much like fishing in an aquarium.

Nice pics! They are very unique fish no doubt.

Big7

The Oracle

Looks like you tore them up. :cheers:

Them Peacocks sure pretty and fun to catch on a top water bait.

Hope you killed all those invasive species.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Gosh, I’d love a crack at that type of fishing. Congrats on your catch.

Geffellz18

Good deal there-Love hooking into those peacocks!
My brother was stationed down there for a few years, but literally flew out this afternoon to report overseas to finish his time out in the service.
Gonna have ti find other reasons to head down there I suppose!
Looks like you got a Mayan cichlid too in that bottom pic!

cowhornedspike

And now they got Pythons in the Glades big enough to eat Alligators, fawns and all the other mammals because some idiots got tired of playing with pet snakes and turned them loose.

Same thing with Peacocks and many other non native fish. That stuff has completely changed/ruined the ecosystem.

Won't be long before they make it to the Okefenokee Swamp. Covering 440,000 acres or 630 square miles, the Okefenokee is the largest blackwater swamp in North America and one of the world's largest intact freshwater ecosystems.

The state of FL stocked the peacocks FYI.

jocko755

Yeah - I didn’t kill any of my catch. There’s no pictures for the snakehead because he was hard to handle and it was dusk - bad lighting.

The snook would cruise the canal busting on baitfish / fry. I sight fished them. But also no pictures. I was greatly out gunned for the snook. 2 were as big as my arm. I fought them all the way to the sea wall but didn’t have a landing net. And 8lb mono was no match for their abrasive mouth and last surge when I attempted to grab them. Heart breakers. I want another crack at them with beefier gear. Beautiful fish. All very aggressive attacking baits and strong fights.

It’s 9.5 hours drive - but for a 4 day trip - we’ll worth it for the fishing.

Big7

The Oracle
The state of FL stocked the peacocks FYI.
They will learn one day. I hope.
Peacock Bass are Amazon River fish and don't belong here.

Just because Florida did it, don't make it right.

They are beautiful fish, a top predator and probably would be good to eat if the didn't come from anywhere near the Glades. They are thick with a lot of meat.

cowhornedspike

They are beautiful fish, a top predator and probably would be good to eat if the didn't come from anywhere near the Glades. They are thick with a lot of meat.

We have kept a few and ate them. They are good but I'll probably release them all in the future.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

Earlier you mentioned pythons and the Okefenokee. Even though our winters would be considered mild it is still to cold for pythons. They can`t tolerate our winters here in Georgia or north Floorida.

jNick

Earlier you mentioned pythons and the Okefenokee. Even though our winters would be considered mild it is still to cold for pythons. They can`t tolerate our winters here in Georgia or north Floorida.

Yet. They say with each winter that they survive it makes the newborns more cold tolerant. Much like the booming snook population we have here in cedar key/Chrystal river. University of Florida has started classifying them as a different species of snook because they’re more cold tolerant.