*Peacock Bass Fishing Trip*

Cletus T.

Good morning you fine GON Folks – I was able to cross off a bucket list item for me this past week while we were down in the Florida Keys for our kids Spring Break! My brother-in-law lives down there now and while we did have some great saltwater adventures the highlight of our trip down there was a Peacock Bass Fishing Trip up in Miami that my awesome wife Mrs. Jaimelou lined up for me and Hunter Jack. We fished at the Miami Airport Lakes and we fished from 12-4 and we caught 14-fish in all and a couple of them were largemouth’s and then a Tipilia and some other pan fish that I can’t remember the name of, but all the rest of the fish were Peacocks and they are one hard fighting fish (even the little guys) and the colors on them are just so dang vibrant. They might be the prettiest fish I’ve ever caught! We were pitching live shiners to them in tight cover but it was such an awesome fishing adventure.

The lakes are a bunch of canals that all connect and you’re fishing in some interesting areas to say the least. Lots of homeless dudes living under bridges and their pretty impressive shanty’s. Big ole Lizards all over the place and it’s just a very Urban fishing experience but the Peacock bass are there folks.

If you ever get a chance to go on one of these Peacock Bass Fishing trips in the Miami Airport lakes DO IT – you will not regret it!

Here’s a few pictures from our awesome trips!

Tight lines everybody!

Cletus

Attachments

• IMG_8084.jpg
    IMG_8084.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_8085.jpg
    IMG_8085.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_8092.jpg
    IMG_8092.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_8099.jpg
    IMG_8099.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_8100.jpg
    IMG_8100.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_8106.jpg
    IMG_8106.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_8112.jpg
    IMG_8112.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 19CD1815-CA2A-4A50-AA56-E53C440D3118.JPG
    19CD1815-CA2A-4A50-AA56-E53C440D3118.JPG
    357.9 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_8111.jpg
    IMG_8111.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_8110.jpg
    IMG_8110.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 126

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That is awesome! I've always wanted to catch some of those.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
New adventures are always fun , beautiful fish !

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Is that next to last one a sheepshead? If so, I didn't realize they could live in freshwater.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Time out! That's Hunter Jack? When did he grow up?

Nice pics, btw. I'll get around to doing that one day.

Cletus T.

Time out! That's Hunter Jack? When did he grow up?

Nice pics, btw. I'll get around to doing that one day.

Ha Ha man.........yep, that is him now. He's a got a freaking beard now! He'll be graduating HS in a few months and he joins the Fire Academy in August.

They grow up so fast but you can't stop time - so you have to enjoy the ride while you're on it!!!

He's grown into a fine young man though. I'm super proud of him!

Is that next to last one a sheepshead? If so, I didn't realize they could live in freshwater.

I called them oscars when I grew up in South Florida. You can catch those in about any canal.

Looks like a great fishing trip, I still shake my head at the FWC decision to add a non-native species to any ecosystem.

Boondocks

All the lakes and canals in South Fl. have them fish.Just pull over and fish.Plenty of places along US 41.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I called them oscars when I grew up in South Florida. You can catch those in about any canal.

Looks like a great fishing trip, I still shake my head at the FWC decision to add a non-native species to any ecosystem.

That's right! A buddy has a big one in his aquarium. He would feed it live goldfish.

Looks kinda like a dark sheepshead.

Geffellz18

Cool! Thanks for sharing. It’s such a cool and different experience for sure.
Getting me pumped now-Headed down there at the end of the month for some saltwater action but will be hitting the canals too for some peacock’s too. Going East to West when I touch down in Miami on the Tamiami trail and will base in Naples/Sanibel a couple of days, then back to Homestead for a few days. Can’t wait!
Those panfish you caught are Mayan cichlids...they fight pretty hard in their own right too. But I don’t think I’ve caught a fish that fights harder than a peacock pound for pound yet-Definitely nothing fresh water.
Maybe an amberjack or jack crevalle but they are much bigger so hard to compare!