Peacock Bass

krizia829

Just showing off how beautiful our south FL peacock bass are!! This one is small, but they sure are mighty!! Caught a few over the weekend with my husband and our girls! It's amazing the amount of people who come down from all over the US just to catch these!

IMG_AB58EA9D069A-1.jpeg

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Just beautiful, I’d certainly make a trip to catch those.

belle&bows

It is a pretty fish!

Big7

The Oracle
Canals around Homestead are full of them.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
We caught them in Panama at Gamboa and Gantu lakes, great fighters

Last edited:

lampern

Apparently the species stocked into Florida are butterfly peacock bass and they rarely top 10 pounds

They are the one species of non native fish stocked on purpose by the state of Florida

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Just beautiful, I’d certainly make a trip to catch those.
This^^^ what a gorgeous fish! I’m from Bradenton and I’ve fished for bass my whole life, but never caught one of those.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Apparently the species stocked into Florida are butterfly peacock bass and they rarely top 10 pounds

They are the one species of non native fish stocked on purpose by the state of Florida
Thanks you saved me from googling it.

krizia829

How are they when fried like normal fish?
They taste great! We don't normally keep them. We prefer to release them and let them grow and reproduce. They help control the invasive species but they do taste good. Flaky too

krizia829

Yup they were introduced in the 80's. They're EVERYWHERE it's insane! I'll tell you one thing though.. The largemouth population has gone down from what we've seen in our spots. There's still a ton out there but much less ever since the peacock were brought in

krizia829

This^^^ what a gorgeous fish! I’m from Bradenton and I’ve fished for bass my whole life, but never caught one of those.
They're a blast to catch. They fight hard and they're very aggressive! I never weighed my biggest but I estimate it to be about 5lbs

krizia829

The theory is they will eat the fry of other invasives, tilapia being the most common
They eat it all. If it fits in their mouth and they're near their nesting area, they're done for lol