Flower Id Help

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Just got back from riding through the woods, and came across this one area that had these tall trees with these flowers all over them. Even the small ones of about 2 feet tall, had flowers and buds all over them. I've seen them before, but good gracious, never like what I saw today. They were scattered all over the place in this one area. It was beautiful out there. They have been cutting timber in this area, but have left most of these trees. I was thinking maybe Camellias, but not sure. Never really paid them much attention until today.

Any ideas?

IMG_1351.JPG

IMG_1352.JPG

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like loblolly bay (Gordonia lasianthus.) They're a native tree that's in the same family as the camellia.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Looks like loblolly bay (Gordonia lasianthus.) They're a native tree that's in the same family as the camellia.
That's it! I was looking around online at first, but even Google wasn't helping. Instead of Googling next time, I'll just start Hillbillying for my plant identifying needs. :bounce:

Thanks, bud!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's it! I was looking around online at first, but even Google wasn't helping. Instead of Googling next time, I'll just start Hillbillying for my plant identifying needs. :bounce:

Thanks, bud!
I'm not familiar with all the Coastal Plain species that I don't see and deal with much at all, but that one's pretty distinctive.