Termites Bad In My Tool Shed! HELP PLEASE!!

Big7

The Oracle
My X wanted to "borrow" a garden hose today and I had 2 unopened 50 ft hoses stacked together.

When I took the top one off the stack, I saw thousands of what I thought were just big ants as I see them in the driveway sometimes.

Anyway, I threw it out in the yard and upon further inspection, confirmed they were Termites.

I go in and out of there all the time and never seen so much as a roach but even though the building is nestled in an Oak tree line with lots of leaves and sticks on the ground.

It's a stick built shed that was made to match the house. I keep the house treated but never thought about the shed.

What kind of bait/poison/spray can I buy to kill them? The shed is only 30 yards from the house.

Any help much appreciated.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
If you have any cardboard in there, get it out because they love cardboard. If you can get under the shed, I'd throw a bunch of borax under there from time to time to keep them from coming back. Not sure what kind of pesticide to use to kill the ones already there but I'm sure someone on here will know.

Logan77

Okay, if you are not bugged out by bugs, if you can handle them, collect them, and get a 1/8 to 1/4 inch layer of termites in a cup with water and a drop of dawn dish soap (makes sure they sink and drown if they are still alive at first, but they probably do not have to be - it is just for fun and experimenting anyway, takes a little time but might prove to be most effective quickly) ....
Take the cup of water with drop of dawn dish soap(original) , and the sunk/drowned / dead termites, and mix with a pint of water and put in a blender and blend for a little while... until they are all chopped up, minced, demolished , or whatever - small particles no big parts left in the liquid.
Pour this bug juice into a container with one to five gallons of water,
strain it with something if you think that will get particles out (the particles are not needed), and put any amount of this bug juice in a sprayer with a relatively large nozzle (so it doesn't get clogged as often)..... Spray away (don't get in eyes, face, nose, mouth or breath it if you can avoid it - hold it at arms length and in a way it does not blow back by wind or fan or whatever into your face).

Within the next 24 hours repeat as desired. The bugs used to make bug juice, all those of the same kind, will be gone. Apparentlyi the living swarms/colony/groups do not like to habitate where all their dead relatives are sprayed around.
This works with many garden pests, and even for ticks ... within 24 to 48 hours usually. Anyway, have fun. A farmer with 25 acres in Georgia or Alabama and various crops (what's that called - having several smaller crops, fruits and or vegetables and or grains?? instead of massive of one crop?) .... used bug juice very successfully and for a lot less money and none of the toxicity of the popular poisons. The giant corporate farms around him used standard chemicals at a lot higher cost, and a lot less success, and a lot more trouble for people.

p.s. garlic barrier works too.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
If you found them in a cardboard box they are in the walls and/ or floor joists and foundation.
Termites don,t live but in the top 12" of soil.
Spray around anything in contact with the soil.
If you can dig a trench around the foundation about 6" deep and saturate the soil .Most times it's 10 ft per mixed gallon.Cover the trench once saturated and saturate the soil you just put back in place.
Read the directions and wear gloves and face shield.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I think what @Dutch showed will work . A bug man in my area recommended this and said it’s about all the company he works for uses . I had the little black sugar ants around my home and have been using it for a few years and hardly see a bug of any kind . And only spray once a year . IMG_3375.jpeg

Big7

The Oracle
I got 4 bug bombs tonight to run one in there every day until I can find that Taurus SC or have it shipped or whatever.

Thank Y'all For The Help. :cheers:

Last edited:

earlthegoat2

Termidor and Taurus use the active ingredient, fipronil.

By the label, it is only to be used within one foot of permanent foundations. It can also get into well water if used improperly.

Just some information before you go all Armageddon in your own yard.

However, it is a very good all species insect killing product.

SarahFair

I think what @Dutch showed will work . A bug man in my area recommended this and said it’s about all the company he works for uses . I had the little black sugar ants around my home and have been using it for a few years and hardly see a bug of any kind . And only spray once a year . View attachment 1242339
Safe around animals?
I have sugar ants bad this year.

Cats always in the front yard, dog (and cats) in the back.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Termidor or Talstar. You’re going to need to trench at least 6 inches deep around your building and treat it. Drill holes inside of blocks if they were used in the foundation and treat inside of them.
Get and keep the under side of the building as dry as possible. Termite’s have to have dark and damp to live.

westcobbdog

My X wanted to "borrow" a garden hose today and I had 2 unopened 50 ft hoses stacked together.

When I took the top one off the stack, I saw thousands of what I thought were just big ants as I see them in the driveway sometimes.

Anyway, I threw it out in the yard and upon further inspection, confirmed they were Termites.

I go in and out of there all the time and never seen so much as a roach but even though the building is nestled in an Oak tree line with lots of leaves and sticks on the ground.

It's a stick built shed that was made to match the house. I keep the house treated but never thought about the shed.

What kind of bait/poison/spray can I buy to kill them? The shed is only 30 yards from the house.

Any help much appreciated.
You can DYI but I would hire Arrow or NW Exterminators and go under a retreat and repair bond. Treat that shed with a potent liquid called Termidor and of course treat your house too. Termite every 5 ft in Ga, so I am not a fan of the cheaper system Centricon which uses bait tubes, why lure them towards your house? Priced by the size / footprint of the foundation of the house. Shop around and tell termite companies you are getting more than 1 quote.

BriarPatch99

Termidor SC or Taurus SC (same stuff) Being a shed I would spray both inside and outside.... Possibly work better if you trench around the shed ....

Plus controls fire ants and bunch other pest...

That would be a easy job if you have a good sprayer... I use my 25 gallon home made trauler type sprayer ...it as a wand and a boom....also has about 30' hose so I can get in places...

Biffin will also control termites ....just not as well as the two above.

Logan77

Safe around animals?

They said orund-upHerbicide was safe and short half life (gone from soil in six months)... oops.... major disease , extraordinary dangerous and disease proven and massive lawsuits won against the companies in courts, and more yet to come.... so, are the chemicals safe ?

I don't know, but garlic is, safe and effective and no trenching needed and no disease caused. Smile if you can find enough .... the more someone researches, the more dangerous the world's chemicals, and the safer the natural ways.

Big7

The Oracle
Bug mam said it was some kind of ant.
Of course, he came yesterday and I was driving and can't remember what kind of ant he said it was but he's coming back today with the magical chemicals. Prolly going to cost a mint but THANK GOD it ain't termites.

Thank Y'all For The Help.

Iwannashoot

Pesident of the Fla Chaper Useless Billy club.
Safe around animals?

Same active ingredient as in Frontline and other flea and tick treatments for dogs and cats. Fipronil works by blocking a neurotransmitter pathway that is present in insects, but not present in mamals. Therefore, it is thought to be safe for humans and pets if lable directions are followed. Always best to treat chemicals with respect and minimize exposure to most things just to be on the safe side.

Big7

The Oracle
Carpenter Ants is what they told me so I googled images and that's what I saw.

Whew... I thought it was termites. I'm going to let the bug man do it since he's already been out here once. $150.00 to do the tool shed and under/around it.

DannyW

Carpenter Ants is what they told me so I googled images and that's what I saw.

Whew... I thought it was termites. I'm going to let the bug man do it since he's already been out here once. $150.00 to do the tool shed and under/around it.
I had flying ants invade my house once and thought they were termites. Breathed a sigh of relief once I googled it found they look and act similar (swarm) but if you look closely, you'll see they are different. As I recall, one has 2 body segments and the other has 3? And a difference in the length of the wings?

FWIW...Windex is a relatively safe countertop/cabinet cure for ants of all kinds. The ammonia zaps them on the spot and is easily cleaned up. It IS toxic to humans but only if you ingest it, and it's less toxic to humans than most insecticides.