Flushing an Outboard Motor

SWAMPFOX

I have a 40 hp Yamaha 2-stroke older outboard that's never been in salt water. I plan to use in salt and brackish in August. Should I flush it out afterward? It'll probably be at least 2 hours before I can get it to a fresh water hook up after running it in the salt.
Thanks.

Ihunt

Always flush it out.
Buy some salt away and mix it in a pump up sprayer and spray it on your trailer as soon as it comes out of the water. If you run your livewell, flush out your pump. Rinse off all of your rods and reels. I stick mine down in a 55 gallon barrel with dawn dishwashing liquid. I also spray some form of lubricant on connections like running lights etc.

It’s a lot of work when I come back home but if I don’t do it it’s gets expensive in a hurry.

SWAMPFOX

I have been looking on line at Salt Away and was close to buying a package of the product as well as the plastic mixing device that hooks up to my motor muffs. However, there's a ton of complaints about the mixing device being lousy and that it leaks and breaks easily. Is there a better one?
Thanks

Ihunt

Save yourself a lot of work, and just back the whole mess down a freshwater ramp on the way home.

Run the engine a few minutes, and this will wash the salt off your trailer too.

Easiest way, and most efficient.
How does that help when you are on a weekend fishing trip? By the time you get back to freshwater, your trailer brakes are already rusted.

BriarPatch99

Closet car wash for trailer, boat and exterior part of motor.... flush motor as soon as possible...

I stick my reels in a deep bucket with Dawn also...

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
I have a 40 hp Yamaha 2-stroke older outboard that's never been in salt water. I plan to use in salt and brackish in August. Should I flush it out afterward? It'll probably be at least 2 hours before I can get it to a fresh water hook up after running it in the salt.
Thanks.
Don't sweat it! I've been dumping boats in saltwater for 50 yrs. Get a dual feed muff that charges both sides of the intake. Run it until the thermostat opens at idle. 15+ mins. Spray everything down good, springs and axles. If you have brakes, there should be a washout connection. If not its a junk trailer. Light mist spray rods and reels tip up! Turn it over and shake it out. I've got a 20 yr old stradic that works and looks new using that method on it. The salt away products are good for under the cowling, so is wd40, after a water misting. Choose how you wanna spend your money.

Big7

The Oracle
I have been looking on line at Salt Away and was close to buying a package of the product as well as the plastic mixing device that hooks up to my motor muffs. However, there's a ton of complaints about the mixing device being lousy and that it leaks and breaks easily. Is there a better one?
Thanks
Water hose and muffs are all you need for the motor.

Pressure washer, even if it's a 79 $ Harbor Freight electric and some liquid car wash/wax will take care of the trailer.

Even a hose with a fan sprayer will work until the next lake trip if you only put in saltwater once in a while.

Don't over think it. Just flush the motor and wash the trailer off.