Food plot seed recommendation

davidhelmly

I just did, it's 120 bucks for 50lbs. What does it normally run?

I just put the order in for our seed, gonna plant on sat. Wheat, Arrowleaf, Crimson, Radish and Turnip. Decided this time to skip the red clover in the mix in favor of a double crop of buckwheat again next year. It grows sooo well and puts out a TONS of biomass for soil building. We will go more clover heavy once we can hold on to more nutrients in the soil.
I came across something the other day that looked like the perfect year round perennial however after reading more, it's very labor intensive to plant via rizomes. Perennial Peanut, the stuff can live through anything, very very, hardy, and a stand can last 30 years. It also has some selective herbicides that will allow a pure stand. Prob is it's difficult to establish, and not quite sure it could handle constant browse pressure with the number of deer we have.
That seems a little high for red clover, we just bought a bunch of seed at work and the red clover was $91 per 50# bag.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Perennial peanuts were discussed a few years ago, but I don't think they ever caught on, for a few reasons. https://forum.gon.com/threads/peanuts.917435/#post-11164506

Medium Red Clover: I've seen prices like David's and I have seen prices for Barduro Freedom! red clover, which I used a little last year to try, and liked, at $110 for a 25 pound bag. Any MRC is not cheap, but if it costs me $20/acre more, in my seed costs and I don't have to replant in the spring, it's fine by me!

David gets all the deals, anyway!!! :)

Last edited:

Ihunt

Is there a selective herbicide for a pure stand of winter wheat? Something that will kill the grasses and broadleafs without killing the wheat?

I was planning a mix with wheat, brassicas and clovers but we would be up against weed pressure and unable to spray. We are trying a light disking strategy to leave the recently cut summer biomass as mulch on top so we are stuck with the weeds that are currently growing, and that would pop up with our fall planting. This is what I like about a full clover plot, you can knock out the weeds easily. Our only prob however is that our soils aren't right yet to support a solid stand of clover. We've gotten it to come in lightly, but it's kinda just there, and not really growing or providing any real biomass.

Zidua is sprayed on wheat. Haven’t read the label in a while. I think it’s a weed herbicide but please read the label. I can’t remember what all of these chemicals do.