Food spoilage in cooler

SarahFair

We are camping up in the mountains this weekend and I had all my meats in a cooler.
Ground beef
Hot dogs
Smoked sausage
Cooked BBQ
Bacon
Deli Turkey Slices

The cooler was kept outside in a bear box, I think the outside low hit 55° around 6am.
This morning about 7:30-8 when the boys went to get the food they said half the ice was melted.
I checked the cooler with the surface temperature thermometer and down around the ice it was in the 30s, up around the top it was 42/43°

I put a probe thermometer in the bbq since it was what was at the top and the top of it read 50°, the middle was in the 40s.

The ground beef, which was under the BBQ was reading 37°.

The Deli meat and some of the bacon was around the top with the bbq.

Everything was cool to the touch :huh:

Normally I wouldn't think anything of it, just add more ice and roll with it...
But my sister just went to the urgent care with a bad case of bacterial colitis from a cruise 2 week ago and I'm a little more iffy.

Would you be cautious with some of these meats, all of these meats, none of these meats?

Big7

The Oracle
It should be perfectly fine, IMO.
No problems anything around 50* or lower.

I'd definitely eat it unless it had a bad smell or drastically changed color. Ground anything is going to get a little gray so I wouldn't worry about that. You might want to check raw chicken out for spoilage which is easy to smell and see.

The "book" says a household refrigerator should be about 40* so there is that. Obviously 40 would be better longer term.

little rascal

If its between 40 and 140 for more than 4 hrs. Use your nose and caution. Sometimes meat smells off because of the package. Get it out of the pack and the blood, pat dry and re bag it. I’ve eat some stuff that was fine that people would have thrown out.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Cook it all, meat lasts longer cooked...but it is fine