For me, THE very best cup of the day

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I dont drink coffee, but even I can smell it from a looooong ways off. Sure deer can too, and relate smell to humans.
Why do you think deer associate coffee with people? Deer don't give a crap about the smell of coffee. It might attract them. Human scent is the only scent that I have ever seen spook a deer. And if the deer is downwind of you so that it can smell your coffee, it has already smelled you, too.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think a mature deer will regard anything new in their environment with great suspicion, the smell of coffee included.
I still drink it every morning but don't take any to the woods. If you need it in the stand or if it enhances your experience that's no concern of mine.
These are the same critters that walk out in front of cars by the thousands every day. And willl lick the road salt off your car in the driveway, and gnaw on hydraulic hoses on log skidders. They don't reason. They aren't scared of any scents but human scent or that of another predator. People give deer way too much credit and have some really funny ideas about them. And if they can smell your coffee, they already smell you, and that will definitely spook them. Actually, deer often regard something new in their environment with great curiosity if it's not something that they have been conditioned to think is a danger to them.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Well thats how I'll make my millions of $$$$$. Coffee scent deer attractant. LOL
Or brainwashing and duping people into buying scent killer products and gadgets they don't need. :)

Jim Boyd

Well thats how I'll make my millions of $$$$$. Coffee scent deer attractant. LOL

Just remember that we we were “sort of” in on the idea and would love some royalties!!!!

Jim Boyd

These are the same critters that walk out in front of cars by the thousands every day. And willl lick the road salt off your car in the driveway, and gnaw on hydraulic hoses on log skidders. They don't reason. They aren't scared of any scents but human scent or that of another predator. People give deer way too much credit and have some really funny ideas about them. And if they can smell your coffee, they already smell you, and that will definitely spook them. Actually, deer often regard something new in their environment with great curiosity if it's not something that they have been conditioned to think is a danger to them.

Agreed 100%

I view it like this: deer are very reactive.

They cannot, to any great degree, reason.

Now, they CAN go from 0% to 100% in the blink of an eye but even in danger, it takes them a second or two (oftentimes much longer) to get to that 100%.

They react to what they see and smell - whether that is good food.... or danger.

Jokers stand outside our bedroom window and munch on acorns and as long as we don’t TOUCH the back door, they are happy. They are literally 12 feet from us with only the window screen separating us - we can carry on a conversation as long as we don’t TOUCH the back door.

They ain’t overly bright....

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I couldn’t tell you the number of times I’ve had deer come running TO a gunshot. Or bed down beside my truck while I was in the stand. Or lick backer juice and pee off the ground under my stand, etc.

buckpasser

“Deer” are dumb. Big old bucks, not so much. Anyone thinking a mature buck; A) Doesn’t care about coffee smell, of B) Will come investigate coffee smell, really needs to invite me to your part of the world to hunt. The big bucks around here are way too smart and not nearly as accommodating!

Also, deer do have great noses, but coffee is pretty pungent and certainly carries a little better and a little farther than a clean, careful hunter. I don’t comment to put down the habit because I couldn’t care less, but let’s not put our heads in the sand Gents. It’s simply not healthy.

Jim Boyd

Also, deer do have great noses, but coffee is pretty pungent and certainly carries a little better and a little farther than a clean, careful hunter. I don’t comment to put down the habit because I couldn’t care less, but let’s not put our heads in the sand Gents. It’s simply not healthy.

I have this terrible habit of being fact and data driven, so bear with me when I ask:

On what basis can you say (presuming you speak from a knowledge base and that it is not simply your opinion) that the pungent smell of coffee carries better and farther than that of a human - no matter how well he exercised scent management?

If it is solely your opinion and then you ask us not to be naive and not to stick our heads in the sand (as if we were deluding ourselves), I find the advice and the hidden insult to carry no value.

I am gonna continue to enjoy coffee from the stand (as I have for 40 years now) and even if SCIENCE proved that it was a risk, I would still do it.

Other than the smallest 10 pt in the group (killed in late afternoon) all of the rest of these were killed in hunts in which I had a thermos with and would have actively been drinking coffee during the hunt.

Big bucks are pretty much big bucks, no matter where they are - neither smarter nor dumber - at least in my opinion.

Hope everyone has a great season!

3DC80446-A3B9-4730-B0D2-2806CDAA01BA.jpeg

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I have this terrible habit of being fact and data driven, so bear with me when I ask:

On what basis can you say (presuming you speak from a knowledge base and that it is not simply your opinion) that the pungent smell of coffee carries better and farther than that of a human - no matter how well he exercised scent management?

If it is solely your opinion and then you ask us not to be naive and not to stick our heads in the sand (as if we were deluding ourselves), I find the advice and the hidden insult to carry no value.

I am gonna continue to enjoy coffee from the stand (as I have for 40 years now) and even if SCIENCE proved that it was a risk, I would still do it.

Other than the smallest 10 pt in the group (killed in late afternoon) all of the rest of these were killed in hunts in which I had a thermos with and would have actively been drinking coffee during the hunt.

Big bucks are pretty much big bucks, no matter where they are - neither smarter nor dumber - at least in my opinion.

View attachment 1045794
Coffee just gives them a chance.:ROFLMAO:

fishfryer

frying fish driveler

View attachment 1045794
Preach it brother,I like an evil cup myself.

GregoryB.

I figure if the deer can smell the coffee he can smell me also. I usually finish my coffee and biscuits on the ride to the WMA.

buckpasser

View attachment 1045794

I think you missed the part where I said I don’t care if you drink coffee in the stand. As for the science, and it’s real easy to prove with this one question:

If you were to walk into a coffee shop (don’t judge me, I was forced), do you smell the coffee or the room full of unbathed left wing idiots? Is there really any debate about coffee being strong smelling? Do some smells carry better? Of course they do.

Also, am I to post all my deer racks to achieve credibility? Does the guy with the most B&C inches automatically win the debate? Is it prorated based on inches per seasons of hunting? How does this work?

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
“Deer” are dumb. Big old bucks, not so much. Anyone thinking a mature buck; A) Doesn’t care about coffee smell, of B) Will come investigate coffee smell, really needs to invite me to your part of the world to hunt. The big bucks around here are way too smart and not nearly as accommodating!

What evidence do you base your deer being scared of coffee opinion on? TV show sponsored by HECS Suits? I think that is just a purely unstudied, unfounded personal opinion based on nothing but "mature deer are supernatural and more intelligent than humans." Jim Thompson shoots some massive, mature gollywhoppers about every year after drinking coffee in the stand. I've shot a big mature buck while smoking a cigarette. Deer aren't supernatural. They are just good at patterning hunters. They have absolutely no idea in the world that coffee scent is associated with humans or no reason to, unless you teach them that it is.

buckpasser

What evidence so you base your deer being scared of coffee opinion on? TV show sponsored by HECS Suits? I think that is just a purely unstudied, unfounded personal opinion based on nothing but "mature deer are supernatural and more intelligent than humans." . Jim Thompson shoots some massive, mature gollywhoppers about every year after drinking coffee in the stand. I've shot a big mature buck while smoking a cigarette. Deer aren't supernatural. They are just good at patterning hunters. They have absolutely no idea in the world that coffee scent is associated with humans or no reason to, unless you teach them that it is.

It’s just my opinion. It’s kinda like yours. I do respect Mr Jim’s opinion because he does post up some nice ones on occasion. You on the other hand...:p

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It’s just my opinion. It’s kinda like yours. I do respect Mr Jim’s opinion because he does post up some nice ones on occasion. You on the other hand...:p
I don't even travel that road these days. I've killed a few fairly decent ones over the years, but don't target them any more. Just not my thing at the moment. If a biggun walks by, I'll blast him, but I'm not hunting the biggun to the exclusion of the other ones, which is the main way to kill bigguns. If I killed the state record, nobody would probably know anyway. And it would never be measured to know. I'm not near the biggun hunter that Jim is, he knows his stuff. I'm more of a mediocre lazy hunter and pretty good deer cooker these days. I have spent many thousands of hours over the last half century observing deer and how they behave, though.