For me, THE very best cup of the day

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Everybody has their preferred method of making coffee. Here`s how I like it the best. If you`ve never had a properly made pot of boiled coffee, you owe it to yourself to try it at least once.

If it`s 17 degrees outside the tipi that morning, it`s even better.

camp coffee.jpgcold.jpg

CurLee

The best cup is in that moment after shooting a deer and your hands are still shaking while pouring into the thermos cap. I enjoy it with a cigarette myself, then climb down...

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Gasoline fumes, laundry deteegent, stinky underarms and feet, coffee, food, anything that is out of the norm of what a deer smells when it's in the deer woods is likely to put a deer on alert. But did it stop me from getting a pinch of snuff before I quit? Nope. Or opening a bottle of coca cola or eating a granola bar? Naw....

Jim Boyd

I think you missed the part where I said I don’t care if you drink coffee in the stand. As for the science, and it’s real easy to prove with this one question:

If you were to walk into a coffee shop (don’t judge me, I was forced), do you smell the coffee or the room full of unbathed left wing idiots? Is there really any debate about coffee being strong smelling? Do some smells carry better? Of course they do.

Also, am I to post all my deer racks to achieve credibility? Does the guy with the most B&C inches automatically win the debate? Is it prorated based on inches per seasons of hunting? How does this work?

Buckpasser -

Listen, we are both on the same team here.

I did not miss the part where you said you could care less.

However, you made a statement and laid it out as fact. Based on your most recent comments, it would appear that it is based on what you view as common sense and your opinion.

My point about the antlers is that there is 1300-1400” of racks hanging on the J hook of my garage (all except the smallest one were taken with an arrow) and all except the smallest one were taken on hunts in which I was drinking coffee.

If an old, slow, scared of heights fellow like me can pull that off, man - I gotta tell ya - coffee ain’t really putting a dent in things.

Now.... I do think there is a clear and present danger about drinking coffee. It is the movement of getting the thermos, pouring and drinking that is a far bigger threat, in my opinion.

That same danger exists when I stand up to take a leak, when I eat my lunch, when I drink my water after lunch etc.

Does this make sense?

buckpasser

Gasoline fumes, laundry deteegent, stinky underarms and feet, coffee, food, anything that is out of the norm of what a deer smells when it's in the deer woods is likely to put a deer on alert. But did it stop me from getting a pinch of snuff before I quit? Nope. Or opening a bottle of coca cola or eating a granola bar? Naw....

Yes, but can you prove that deer smell things like this and go on alert? I mean not just by using common sense, and not just by years of experience, but I need like a University study saying that you are correct. Otherwise, you could well be wrong. Actually, there is a theory on this thread that you actually benefit from bringing in foreign odors. That deer and possibly mature bucks as well come running in to sniff about and offer good shot opportunities when you bring in food, tobacco and other human items. They don’t have to prove any of that, but you do. Thank you in advance!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Now.... I do think there is a clear and present danger about drinking coffee. It is the movement of getting the thermos, pouring and drinking that is a far bigger threat, in my opinion.

Nope. The biggest clear and present danger is having to stand up and pee off your stand but you covered that too. :bounce:

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Well, somebody somewhere knows something. May not be me, I just go through life on what I've observed and learned. Probably explains why I never amounted to much :geek:

oppthepop

Well boys, I know Jim has done it, as well as I. When you spend 6-10 days hanging off the side of a tree in Illinois, and the WARMEST day the high is 20 degrees, it's snowing, sleeting, howling wind, but you hang on because THIS is what we do. During those long days, a "reward' if you will, can be the nice, hot cup of java. A Mr. Goodbar maybe. or a very cold apple from the daypack. I do it every year, and that mid-morning cup of coffee that breaks the bone shattering chill is, well...........exquisite!

HuntingFool

I am usually settled in my stand well before daylight and love to enjoy my coffee while sitting there listening in the dark to the animals that are awake.

Jim,

I used to carry a thermos like that until I got tired of trying to hold the little cup between my legs because a deer walked up. Now I use the Yeti Rambler with the Hotshot lid.

Jim Boyd

Well boys, I know Jim has done it, as well as I. When you spend 6-10 days hanging off the side of a tree in Illinois, and the WARMEST day the high is 20 degrees, it's snowing, sleeting, howling wind, but you hang on because THIS is what we do. During those long days, a "reward' if you will, can be the nice, hot cup of java. A Mr. Goodbar maybe. or a very cold apple from the daypack. I do it every year, and that mid-morning cup of coffee that breaks the bone shattering chill is, well...........exquisite!

Great points, Karl and in reality, I use it to pace those tough days.

I have a cup before daylight, a cup about 830, a cup about 1030 and a cup after I have my lunch.

My thermos holds about 4 cups that are 6 oz each and just hit the spot.

Snowing today in Rushville and here I sit in a stand in SC. Shorts and a T shirt.

Gonna be a shocker when I hit the stand this weekend.

Be safe, everyone.

Jim Boyd

Jim,

I used to carry a thermos like that until I got tired of trying to hold the little cup between my legs because a deer walked up. Now I use the Yeti Rambler with the Hotshot lid.

Dang, I need to look into that - thank you, sir.