Forsyth county ever going QDM?

furtaker

Here's a thought. Excessive trophy management and worrying about inches all the time takes away the "coolness" of a big buck in my opinion. Back when I was growing up and first started hunting, if somebody killed a 130 incher in the next county over, we would hear about it. Now they're a dime a dozen in many places.

Booners in Georgia are way more common than they used to be. The more common things are, the less special they are.

Maybe the B&C minimum needs to be raised to 190 to keep the trophy crowd happy.

I love hunting and killing big bucks as much as anybody but the decision should be left up to the individual instead of the state.

I'm glad my dad didn't force "trophy management" down my throat when I was a youngster. I probably would have quit hunting if he did.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Don’t forget the body weight and jawbones, too.

The overall “goal” isn’t the antlers, but the animals & habitat itself. You know, to “leave it better than you found it” mindset. So History doesn’t repeat itself.

Antlers are merely a byproduct of a healthy deer herd and ecosystem. As you’re well versed on Biology.

As I said before, enjoy your weekend. We’re done here.
Deer have managed themselves just fine for around a hundred thousand years or more until we came along and screwed the whole thing up. If you want to leave it better than you found it, don't go messing with a proven system that nature put in place. Every time that game populations have gotten messed up, it's because we got to thinking we knew more about what they needed than they do. They don't need us deciding what buck/doe ratio they need, what deer need to come out of "the herd," etc. Leave them alone, provide good habitat to the best of your ability, don't kill off all the does, and the deer will be fine. They aren't cattle. They are wild animals. If you want to manage animals on an individual level, livestock is what you're looking for.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Just like ignoring basic laws and speaking on things you must not be familiar with. Claiming a deer to 'not be legal in many places with antler restrictions,' when, in fact, said deer is 100% legal anywhere in the state.
If you haven't killed that first one yet, maybe. And every place with antler restrictions isn't in Georgia, btw. Georgia ain't the whole world. The laws could change if people keep pushing this mess to grow living room decorations.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Amongst everything else I've seen with the evolution of the quality of deer, the 4 on one side, I don't see that being much of an issue. These deer nowadays are probably visiting bare min 1 protein feeder a day during their travels. I've seen A LOT less random 4 points, spikes, etc. A lot of the young bucks I'm seeing are already sporting 4 on one side. Might not be impressive to most, but by all means, they're legal. Like I've already mentioned several times in this one thread, I can't wrap my head why there would be regs on width. Seems like an awfully odd characteristic to base a regulation off of. Guess its a good thing that weird reg is only in 2 counties.
Explain to me how to measure a deer's horns before you shoot it. Sure, you can get a decent guess, but not a necessarily accurate one.

furtaker

Explain to me how to measure a deer's horns before you shoot it. Sure, you can get a decent guess, but not a necessarily accurate one.
I asked a big trophy guy that one time. I wanted to know what you were supposed to do if you saw what looked like a big buck chasing a doe but couldn't measure his spread or beam length or whatever. His response? "You don't shoot." :rofl:

wm742

No .gov regulations. I do think we are allowed too many does, but I still don't want more freedom taken away.

My 80 year old dad is one that will go in the woods until something walks by. Whatever it is, he shoots it. Then he is done for the season. He isn't hurting anything if he kills a little 6 point. And I'm excited when he does.

I have to beg my kids to go hunting sometimes. I don't need to tell them they can't shoot anything. That's a real good way for a kid to never go hunting. Not to mention that's how I get in the woods when my tags are full. "I want to go hunting, but I need someone that can take the shot. Come on baby girl, I promise we will see deer."

With that said, my youngest will shoot anything and I do have to coach her a bit to wait. My oldest waits, I have to beg her to shoot.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I asked a big trophy guy that one time. I wanted to know what you were supposed to do if you saw what looked like a big buck chasing a doe but couldn't measure his spread or beam length or whatever. His response? "You don't shoot." :rofl:
Or shoot and have your wife check it...that way they don't lose face with their peers

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That greatly increases my enjoyment of hunting. (Sarcasm.)

WOODIE13

Or they could just say, "Well, I shouldn't have shot him, but..." before they show you the picture... I've heard it a few times.
Had a few big buckers tell me that, then ask how old I think he is. I say "As old as he's gonna get " :rofl:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Dude, what are you even talking about? We have been talking in terms of Georgia the entire time. There were 1-2 questions/comments about other states but it was long after you made that comment about that one buck not being legal. The buck you posted was easily prob 22" or so. And anyone with half a brain would easily be able to judge that on the fly. That buck wouldn't have met that 4 on one side requirement, but in those 4 on one side counties, as well as that 1 out of your 2 allotted statewide bucks, he would've made the cut due to the OR 15" SPREAD clause and in the two 15" spread counties, again obviously makes the cut.
OK, so I'll put you on the list of people who are fine with the government making the decision of what buck you can shoot. I am not a fan of that. It's ruining deer hunting, turning it into a competition sport, and driving people away. We don't all hunt for prestige and trophy mounts/home decor. In my world, I eat legal bucks, and let the does walk to make more deer next year. I don't care what size of buck you legally shoot on your own land or public land. I deserve the same respect. I do not care if you restrict yourself. I do care when you try to get the weight of the government to restrict me, for no other reason than to grow trophy bucks. Your mileage may vary. I don't get out of a tree with a tape measure and measure bucks' antlers before I shoot, either. The deer on my place don't give you that option. We live on two different planets.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone in the woods, hunting on their own ought to know what an inch is. If not, they need to get familiar with it just for the sake of understanding the laws and making sure you're in compliance with them... as far cutting it close and one of those 4 on one side coming up just shorter than an inch, or the spread being just shy of 15"...... man that's on you.
If you can measure an inch to within 1/16" on a deer you see going through the woods a hundred yards away at a fast walk, in and out of brush, then you are a better engineer than I am, and also 99.9999999% of the hunting population. And that is not a logical rule that people should have to do.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Once again, seems some need to familiarize themselves with the laws before taking to the internet talking about something they are unfamiliar with.... Literally said, "wouldn't be legal in a lot of antler restricted counties." When he'd been just fine statewide in all BUT TWO counties.
Yay for you and your antler restrictions and red tape and bourgeois elitist bullcrap.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Havoc lover "never once said I was for more government control."
But is now the main proponent on here arguing for it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Man I give up... I've already stated I don't care for more government regs and honestly don't care one way or another on this topic either. I hunt for myself and I won't ever push my opinions or preference on anyone. I started out in this thread just merely talking about my experience with hunting antler restricted counties before and after the restrictions took place. Nothing more, nothing less. Just like has already happened, just speaking that much, folks take it out of context and completely spun it into something its not.

You came in with that one comment about that one deer pic you posted and saying how it wouldn't be legal and that's just straight up misinformation and led me to believe you aren't familiar with the topic.
It would not be legal under the four on one side rule. I am not comfortable measuring deer antlers on a deer walking through the woods. I don't see why that's hard to understand.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Those of you desiring more antler restrictions imposed by the government aren't going to like it when it happens.
I’m not desiring more antler restrictions but I have to ask why you say this

WOODIE13