Found! Good Persimmon Grafting Wood

Jim Boyd

Hoping to find some good grafting wood.

Have heard that Meadors ??? and Yates ??? are good.

Willing to travel.

Willing to pay.

Willing to trade.

I have a bunch of 1 year old sawtooth saplings in pots. Glad to trade them.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks!!!!

Last edited:

Jim Boyd

Ordered 24 Fuyu scions and will pull again from my known good American tree.

Think I cut the scions too tiny last year.

I did not know or was not able to tell what was new wood.

All advice is appreciated!

@NC Hillbilly ?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Ordered 24 Fuyu scions and will pull again from my known good American tree.

Think I cut the scions too tiny last year.

I did not know or was not able to tell what was new wood.

All advice is appreciated!

@NC Hillbilly ?
You can usually tell the last year's growth from the older stuff pretty easily. The bark changes. In my experience, fatter scions are better within reason.

Jim Boyd

You can usually tell the last year's growth from the older stuff pretty easily. The bark changes. In my experience, fatter scions are better within reason.

I called myself looking for a growth ring.

I’m thinking I screwed that up and lost a year in the process.

Only one of my scions “took” and then a bird landed on it (or some other malady) and broke it off.

2024= try again.

Thanks !

Deer Magnet and Meador are showing promise in my collection. Both hold fruit late. Fuyu is the best tasting Asian persimmon that I grow. The Mockingbirds will appreciate you planting a bunch of them. Mine held fruit until almost Christmas. After spending a bunch of money on scion wood over the years, I came to the conclusion that I was better off grafting wood from wild stock that deer seemed to prefer.

Jim Boyd

Deer Magnet and Meador are showing promise in my collection. Both hold fruit late. Fuyu is the best tasting Asian persimmon that I grow. The Mockingbirds will appreciate you planting a bunch of them. Mine held fruit until almost Christmas. After spending a bunch of money on scion wood over the years, I came to the conclusion that I was better off grafting wood from wild stock that deer seemed to prefer.

Sounds like you got it going on!

Is Fuyu a poor choice when aimed solely at the deer?

Thanks !

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you got it going on!

Is Fuyu a poor choice when aimed solely at the deer?

Thanks !
The Japanese ones aren't really good for deer, because they don't drop. They just hang on. The Meaders and Yates and Prok drop fairly early, but not too early, and the deer love all of them. Deer Magnets hang on a little longer, and add some late-season food. Deer don't seem to pick them off the limbs, from what I've seen, they wait until they drop top eat them. One of my biggest grafted Meaders in my food plot usually has a circular trail worn out around it by mid-October.

weagle

Jim Boyd

I talked to those guys and I'm ordering some Meaders and Yates Scions. I'm thinking about grafting one of each on each of the root stock trees I'm using. Anyone ever done this?

Way to go!

I think many people have made all kinds of Frankenstein-Trees before.

I would like to try it also.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I talked to those guys and I'm ordering some Meaders and Yates Scions. I'm thinking about grafting one of each on each of the root stock trees I'm using. Anyone ever done this?
I have, but I usually keep each tree to one variety. I think that works much better, and gives you a healthier tree. BTW, Meader and Yates are the two that I've had the most success with grafting and attracting deer.

Kdog

They are good people! I have done it in the past with good success, but don't have plans to do it again.

weagle

Just received my scions from nuttrees.net Their instructions say to not put any moisture in the bag or damp paper towels. I've got probably 60 days or more till I can graft and I'm worried they will dry out. Every other grafting video I have watched says to wrap the scions in a damp paper towel before putting them in a plastic bag and storing in the refrigerator.

What does the campfire think?

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Just received my scions from nuttrees.net Their instructions say to not put any moisture in the bag or damp paper towels. I've got probably 60 days or more till I can graft and I'm worried they will dry out. Every other grafting video I have watched says to wrap the scions in a damp paper towel before putting them in a plastic bag and storing in the refrigerator.

I think I’d make an effort to talk to someone there and ask questions. If you paid good money they certainly should talk with you.

Jim Boyd

@NC Hillbilly should know and is a wealth of knowledge.

If I was there and had no advice, I would put a semi damp paper towel in the bag and make a small vent hole.

Think there are some concerns about ripening fruit…. Or something like that - being in the fridge.

Can’t wait to see your projects!!!

weagle

@NC Hillbilly should know and is a wealth of knowledge.

If I was there and had no advice, I would put a semi damp paper towel in the bag and make a small vent hole.

Think there are some concerns about ripening fruit…. Or something like that - being in the fridge.

Can’t wait to see your projects!!!
Their instructions said to not store them with fruits and vegetables, but I only have one fridge, so no real choice there. I just triple plastic bagged them and hope that keeps out whatever would contaminate them.

weagle

I talked to the folks at Nut Trees today. He said add 2 to 3 drops of water to the bag and place the bag inside of a second bag. He said Persimmon scions are very hardy, but they will mildew / rot if you wrap them in a damp paper towel.

Jim Boyd

I talked to the folks at Nut Trees today. He said add 2 to 3 drops of water to the bag and place the bag inside of a second bag. He said Persimmon scions are very hardy, but they will mildew / rot if you wrap them in a damp paper towel.
Sweet!

weagle

These folks were very easy to deal with. They answered the phone every time and had answers to any question I had. The scions arrived in 12 days via priority mail. I ordered 5 of each (Meaders and Yates) but there were 7 in one bag and 8 in the other. Each has 5 or 6 buds, so I think I can actually get 2 grafts from each. Now hopefully my grafts take in a few weeks when the trees are ready.

Screenshot 2024-02-28 8.27.28 PM.pngIMG_4819.jpeg

Last edited:

Jim Boyd

Wow! Wow! Wow!

Met Chris @SCDAWG and his lovely wife Heather today up around Abbeville.

Got a great supply of Meadors Scions and some great advice….

Also got an elderberry bush to plant, as well!

Looking forward to the ying and yang as we swap plant stuff in the future.

Next up will be the Fuyu and chestnut projects to mix and match with.

Discovered I was close to @NC Hillbilly farm - now we need some of his Yates and Prok (sp ?) cuttings!!!!!!

He probably has some over in the farm!!!!!

Thank you Chris!