Free at last, Free at last

Dub

:yeah:

Got rid of my big red cast.

(Bulldogs were undefeated in the weeks I wore it, though....cut off Friday and they lose on Saturday....arghhhhh):banginghe

Doctor gave me my walking papers...literally. Now I have another month in this boot and transitioning off these crutches. Hopefully back on the job doing office work by the end of next week. I miss the place and my buddies there.

I've seriously missed the grill during this time, too. I don't mean to sound arrogant or anything, but eating carryout ribs, bbq and other grillables from local joints just doesn't measure up to what I can do at home. Something simple like a cheesburger just isn't the same. You guys know what I mean...you just like to pick out the cuts you want...marinate or prep 'em with your own rubs 'n stuff. Applebee's, Chilis, Poblano's, Zaxbys, Wifesavers and etc just don't measure up.

My wife doesn't cook...least not in the kitchen...so I've simply kept quiet and been grateful for the take-out and delivery stuff. Pretty much settled in on vegtable fried rice and an egg roll as being the favorite....second favorite is a salad from Firehouse Subs.

Went to the store on Friday afternoon....first time in two months.

Got the fixins for a good soup.

Low sodium broth, boneless breast, Johnsonville Italian Sausage, tater'n onyuns, carrots, corn, peppers and cilantro. I seasoned with some Lawry's and Dizzy Dust.

Crock Pot did the rest for most of the day while we watched football.

6aa72209.jpg

I was really tempted to cook it with some of Droptine's recomended chili sauce but I put it on the table instead. we had a full bottle before:

268f2f90.jpg

db7791bb.jpg

You can see how much everyone liked this sauce.

AFTER:

c866b969.jpg

Man oh man that is some tasty stuff. :cool:

I shall keep some on hand at all times. I'm wanting to make a southwest style omlet with some of this. I also can buy the whimpy salsa that will satisfy everyone but I can kick it up a notch with my own portion.

As I can stand and carry stuff on my own more and more each day....I can see wings, ribs and other coming from the grill this week.

Now I've got to figure out a way to hunt with this stupid boot on!!!!

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Glad your back on your feet....that looks great!!! I keep a bottle of that 'red rooster' on hand at all times. I agree, there's nothing like Home-cooked, with most meals. Just picked up some stuff for Egg rolls and fried rice the other day, Fattie ingredients also. Cooked 'MY' best ribs last night on a Weber grill.:fine:

As far as hunting, no problem, just put on a thick sock, if you can with that boot, and Hobble to the stand.

:cheers:

Dub

Hobbling is the order of the day!

Somewhere around here I've got a pair of those camo warmers you put over your hunting boots once you are in the stand. I've got to find mine. It should fit over this boot....if not I'll most assuredly find something. I can crutch it close to my parked vehicle and put my climber seat on a tree and sit a spell. I know a clear cut with a rise fairly close to where I can park.

Where there's a will there's a way.

Good new on your Weber ribs. I've got a hankering for some ribs this week. It's gonna happen. :)

BBQBOSS

Banned
Lookin good Dub! :cheers: I know you are glad to get that cast off so you can get back to grillin! :cool:

Born2Trade

Good to hear cast is off been there done that 3 years ago food looks great I love the soup Im going to have to look for some of that Red Rooster to try .

Dub

It was good.

As far as the red rooster sauce...got the recomendation from Browtine on this forum.

I'd rank it up there with one of the top two such endorsements found here:
1) Green Egg...haven't bought one yet...still waiting for my current grill/smoker to fall apart :)...maybe this winter

2) Dizzy Pig BBQ products. Steaks, eggs, ribs, butts, fish have never been the same. The real gem is the Pineapple Head on fresh pineapple.

3) This Sriracha "red rooster" sauce. It's that dang good.

Last edited:

30 06

Soup looking good. I feel your pain Dub had my foot fused in June Doc still has me in the walking boot. Hope to be free of it next week also. Good luck.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Glad you are on the mend Dub! Pics look great!:cool:

Dub

Soup looking good. I feel your pain Dub had my foot fused in June Doc still has me in the walking boot. Hope to be free of it next week also. Good luck.

I hope the transition back to regular shoes goes well for you. You've been going through a lot from June 'till now....that's a long time to have your wings clipped.

Be careful and enjoy yourself.:banana:

I was outside a bit early this morning rooting around in the garage....that walking boot was cold.

Gonna try to hunt for the first time this year on Thursday.

Browtine

Congrats on gettin' the cast off! And glad you liked the Sriracha. ;)

30 06

Thanks Dub, same to you also.

Dub

Gonna do something crazy on Thursday:

Sight in two rifles....throw my ground blind & a chair on my game cart and hit the woods for a first afternoon hunt of the year!

Wife is protesting saying I'm pushing it....but I've got to crutch it into the woods for a long sit.

Wi